• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4.3 Jelly Bean S Voice bloat?

JimSmith94

Android Enthusiast
May 5, 2010
Irving, TX USA
I came from a Sprint Note 2 to a Sprint Note 3. I liked S Voice on 4.1.2 in combination with Driving Mode, but I don't like the long waits for it on the 4.3 version. Instead of just saying "What would you like to do?" it says something like "I hope you are having a wonderful day" blah blah blah. It takes forever to make a simple phone call from my Bluetooth headset.

Has anyone figured out how to get rid of all the extra stuff or even better, how to overwrite this version with the old one from 4.1.2?

@jimsmith94

I'm still on 4.1.2 on an SGS2 but try this:
e4emumar.jpg

7uge7a5u.jpg

6upaguvy.jpg

ju3yje9e.jpg

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Thanks, but Samsung's S Voice doesn't have the option to disable voice prompts or customize the prompt. Telling me that she hopes I am making the most of my day was cute the first time, but I'm tired waiting through her spiels before I can give my command. Then wait for her to process the command, wait for her to ask if I want to do what I said, another wait for the talk to become active again so I can answer, and another wait for her to finally dial the number.

If Google would get off their butt and fix Google Now so that it dials the person I say instead of random numbers from my contacts list, I would switch to it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: eLCruz
Upvote 0
Thanks, but Samsung's S Voice doesn't have the option to disable voice prompts or customize the prompt. Telling me that she hopes I am making the most of my day was cute the first time, but I'm tired waiting through her spiels before I can give my command. Then wait for her to process the command, wait for her to ask if I want to do what I said, another wait for the talk to become active again so I can answer, and another wait for her to finally dial the number.

If Google would get off their butt and fix Google Now so that it dials the person I say instead of random numbers from my contacts list, I would switch to it in a heartbeat.

Sorry to hear it. I'm still using the old SGS2. Surprised to hear S-Voice has gotten worse not better. Good luck!

Upvote 0
I came from a Sprint Note 2 to a Sprint Note 3. I liked S Voice on 4.1.2 in combination with Driving Mode, but I don't like the long waits for it on the 4.3 version. Instead of just saying "What would you like to do?" it says something like "I hope you are having a wonderful day" blah blah blah. It takes forever to make a simple phone call from my Bluetooth headset.

Has anyone figured out how to get rid of all the extra stuff or even better, how to overwrite this version with the old one from 4.1.2?

I don't find S-Voice very good compared to Google. I am on a GS3 with 4.3 and use a tiny app called Home2 Shortcut available in the app store. You simply disable S-Voice and replace it with Google voice search. The app has a few other options which may be good for you owners of Notes. It was free on the Play store and there are no ads that I have seen.

Upvote 0
I don't find S-Voice very good compared to Google. I am on a GS3 with 4.3 and use a tiny app called Home2 Shortcut available in the app store. You simply disable S-Voice and replace it with Google voice search. The app has a few other options which may be good for you owners of Notes. It was free on the Play store and there are no ads that I have seen.

I didn't see it listed in the description of Home2 Shortcut, does anyone know if this will also replace the long press from a Bluetooth headset? That's the only way I initiate calls. I never use the double tap of the Home button.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones