• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.3 problem

Anyone on the gt-i9300 (international s3) (the one with the broken update) considering rolling back using Odin but worried about losing their EFS/IMEI, as far as i know, EFS cant be backed up without rooting the phone so dont do that as it voids warranty.
Using Odin to flash older firmware doesnt void warranty though so if you DO lose EFS, just take it to the shop and let them fix it.

P.s. has anyone tried taking their phone back to the shop and asking/telling them to restore WORKING firmware on their phone?

I think I read somewhere that Car Phone Warehouse will do it but it costs something like

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I also checked my phone to see if the update was available(AT&T)and it said it was. So I decided to give it a shot and downloaded the update. Took about 40 mins over wi-fi. Quite a big file. So far it has been working just fine. I did have the flash going off when I received an email but disabled that in the settings. I am not sure if I am lucky or not but so far so good. Now the strange part, my wife has the same phone and when I went to download the same update it said she was operating with the most current software. Go figure, not sure why I could do it and her phone could not.

Upvote 0
From what im hearing lately, noone who has plans to ever root, mod, custom rom then should ever install 4.3.
Aparently it installs knox which from the rumours ive read, at worst makes the phone impossible to root(?) And at best makes it impossible to hide the fact that youve modded your phone (so your warranty is gone)
Id defo research it before updating to 4.3.
I dont have to worry, i gave up samsungs crap a while ago and am running 4.4 nicely.. a route everyone should consider. I really dont trust samsung anymore. Their hardware is great but their software.... no no no ;)

Upvote 0
Contacts unable to be saved to phone by device or from Google. Just realized that I am unable to save a contact to my phone or from Google. When I try to save a contact to my phone it just tells me unfortunately contacts stopped working. Is anyone else having an issue like this or does anyone have a fix for this problem, very frustrating free

Upvote 0
I found this on the web, it corrected the problem. Contacts working and syncing fine now.

Attachments

• 1385957808730.jpg
    1385957808730.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
From what im hearing lately, noone who has plans to ever root, mod, custom rom then should ever install 4.3.
Aparently it installs knox which from the rumours ive read, at worst makes the phone impossible to root(?) And at best makes it impossible to hide the fact that youve modded your phone (so your warranty is gone)
Id defo research it before updating to 4.3.

I installed 4.3 and like most found it a mess. However I easily rolled back to 4.1.2 official using Odin.

Upvote 0
Todays comment from Samsung UK is:-
Thank you for contacting Samsung Customer Support.

I apologise that you have been experiencing issues with your Samsung Galaxy S III after the most recent update to JB 4.3, I understand this must be frustrating as updating should be an easy process.

As we are currently investigating the reported issues with Galaxy S3 4.3 Jelly Bean update, the upgrading service has been temporarily suspended.

We are committed to providing customers with the best possible mobile experience, and will ensure to resume the upgrading service at the earliest possibility.

Once the issues have been resolved an update will be released to get your device back in working order.

So no date for a fix then.

Upvote 0
Checking on my phone to see if there is an upgrade available brings a message up saying that the maximum amount of updates has been exceeded, and to try updating via Kies. I took that to mean the update was available. So I connected it to Kies and it says I have the latest version. I phoned up Samsung and there is still no update and they still can't say when there will be one. Meanwhile I have a phone that hasn't worked properly for nearly three weeks.

Upvote 0
I finally had to do a factory reset and the phone is working great again.

I did the upgrade a few days ago, not knowing about all the problems. My phone seems ok, for the most part, all except the texting.

When texting, often times I cannot scroll, the keyboard (both Swype and Samsung) become unresponsive and it can take me 5 mins to type in one message.

I have not tried a factory reset yet. I am backing up my text messages first.

Anyone else having a problem with their texting?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones