4.3 Rolling out nowTips

Last Updated: 2014-01-20 15:35:59
  1. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Android 4.3 now rolling out for Sony Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z Ultra

As always, I expect UK unbranded handsets to be lagging behind, but there are several confirmed updates on xda.

If you like a bit of bling, you can apparently theme pretty much everything from the navbar up. More themes are on the way as well.

Take a look at this one: Changes in 4.3 Z1 - xda-developers

(small changelog included as well).

The bootloader unlock/camera bug is also fixed so that means development should pick up a bit! :)

Advertisement
    SavageRobot and psyxologos like this.
  2. El Presidente

What's new (take from here: [ ROLLING NOW ] Xperia Z1 Android 4.3 14.2.A.0.290 firmware - xda-developers)

If you're looking to flash manually, there are some FTF files here: http://www.xperiaguide.com/2013/12/...4-2-0-290-firmware-update-rolling-officially/
    SavageRobot, BigBrisy and psyxologos like this.
  3. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Well-Known Member

Well I have been waiting for this update ota and there was nothing. Then I read somewhere online that they got the update from pc companion, I plugged it in and hey presto, it is downloading as we speak...very excited to see if this fixes buggy camera and see how much more personalised it can be made. Also looking forward to seeing more custom roms now with the bootloader being fixed, merry Christmas all haha
    El Presidente likes this.
  4. xacto

xacto Well-Known Member

Received the 4.3 OTA, two days ago, everything is running smoothly.
  5. El Presidente

I'm running Monx's 4.2.2 ROM at the moment, I haven't had time to flash any of the 4.3 ROMs yet :(

How customisable are the customisations? How many of them are there?
  6. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Well-Known Member

There is only 13 at the moment as far as I can see and the themes do alter the lot (navigation buttons at bottom, shortcut buttons etc in top bar, lock screen text etc, wallpaper and lockscreen pic and settings and menus). But I was hoping there would be possibility of amending some of these things ourselves...we cannot.
  7. El Presidente

It's more customisation than most manufacturers give, so it's something. Thank you. :)

I'll give one of the 4.3 ROMs a go on boxing day probably.
  8. psyxologos

psyxologos Well-Known Member

I just connected my phone to the companion but no update was available. I have an unbranded phone, so I am not sure why I did not get it...
  9. marc1977

marc1977 Well-Known Member

All in good time mate.
    psyxologos and El Presidente like this.
  10. El Presidente

For some reason, UK unbranded generally lag behind. I know there's a voda branded flashtool file kicking about if you're desperate to update?
    psyxologos likes this.
  11. psyxologos

Thanks. No, I am not desperate, just curious... ;)
  12. nstokes

nstokes Member

Still no update for me on my unbranded version
  13. psyxologos

Same here!
  14. ajmount88

ajmount88 Well-Known Member

Unbranded update now rolling out. Just got the notification and about to install.
    BigBrisy and El Presidente like this.
  15. BigBrisy

BigBrisy Active Member

Cheers

Checked the update centre earlier today but nothing showed, but after reading your post I tried the PC companion and hey presto!!!
  16. marc1977

Doing mine now, hope it's worth the wait.
  17. nstokes

nstokes Member

Mine has now been done
  18. El Presidente

Early doors, but what do you guys think so far?

I start nights again on Monday so I'll finally have a bit of spare time to flash on Sunday night whilst I stay awake to acclimatise.
  19. nstokes

nstokes Member

My wifi has defo improved. Its on charge so cant really look at battery life yet
  20. ajmount88

ajmount88 Well-Known Member

Nothing particularly obvious as far as I can see. Possibly slightly smoother, but it was smooth enough to begin with.

Too early to comment on battery life (and I've only had the phone since Tuesday anyway, so no real baseline to compare against).

The only thing I have noticed is that I can now swipe left and right in the default email app to go to next/previous message rather than having the buttons at the top. If only it allowed push email the way it does on my Nexus 7 and my old Galaxy S2 It'd be perfect (someone please correct me if I'm missing something obvious).
  21. psyxologos

Just downloading now OTA
  22. marc1977

So far so good. No major visual difference that I've found other than the mail app, good thing now is that you can refresh the mail by dragging down on the screen and letting go, just like the iPhone.
    Battery life seems good, at 64% now! started the update last night early evening at about 84% (OTA and not plugged in to power)and have done a backup and spend a good couple of hours playing around.
    I'll post any other changes etc as I find them.
  23. xacto

xacto Well-Known Member

My battery life has been improved a little, got 39 hrs on a charge, with 4 hrs of SoT, and still had 18% of battery left.

There are themes available in Personalization menu to choose from, not too many, but it's a good start.

Phone is still as fast as always, so all good until now.
  24. psyxologos

Sine I upgraded, a game I was playing (deer hunter 2014) has gone bananas. The graphics are missing! lol. I know it is the game's problem but I thought i would share! ;)
  25. El Presidente

Is it paid? If no, I'll give it a go and see if I get the same.

I flashed a 4.3 ROM tonight. Too early to comment really, but it seems faster, louder and WiFi has definitely improved. :)
    xacto likes this.