• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.3 update...phone won't charge now.

excav8ter

Android Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2010
Hey all....I took the 4.3 update this morning while having coffee at McDonald's. My phone was on the charger in my truck, and charging normally on the way to McDonald's. After the update, I put it back on the charger and now it won't charge....coincidence?

There are a number of posts on this issue. For me the only thing that works consistently in the car is using a 2A charger I bought off Amazon connected to the phone using the white USB cable that comes with the 110 volt Samsung wall charger. It's the cable that seems to be the issue. I can also connect that cable to the USB port of my car and it will charge, but I haven't done that enough to say it's consistent.

For other car chargers, or other cables connected to either that 2A charger or my car's USB port, I get inconsistent results if they work at all. For that Samsung USB 110 volt wall unit, it works with most, but not all, USB cables.

Here's one of the other threads:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/790898-gs4-charging-issue.html

Edit: BTW, with that 2A charger and the white USB cable, it seems to charge much faster than it used to--particularly with the screen on.

Reactions: excav8ter
Upvote 0
There are a number of posts on this issue. For me the only thing that works consistently in the car is using a 2A charger I bought off Amazon connected to the phone using the white USB cable that comes with the 110 volt Samsung wall charger. It's the cable that seems to be the issue. I can also connect that cable to the USB port of my car and it will charge, but I haven't done that enough to say it's consistent.

For other car chargers, or other cables connected to either that 2A charger or my car's USB port, I get inconsistent results if they work at all. For that Samsung USB 110 volt wall unit, it works with most, but not all, USB cables.

Here's one of the other threads:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/790898-gs4-charging-issue.html

Edit: BTW, with that 2A charger and the white USB cable, it seems to charge much faster than it used to--particularly with the screen on.

thanks! I just talked with a friend of mine, who has the S4 on Sprint as well....He had the same issue. None of his car chargers work unless he plugs in the Samsung USB cord.

Upvote 0
thanks! I just talked with a friend of mine, who has the S4 on Sprint as well....He had the same issue. None of his car chargers work unless he plugs in the Samsung USB cord.

I think it likely has something to do with the gauge of the power wires in the cord. Too much voltage drop with smaller gauge wire. I'd like to find an alternative cable that works, because I don't like white in the car.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones