• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] 4.4.4 update to vzw Which ROM (non-AOSP)

jetguat

Android Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2011
Midwest
Frankly, I've just not been as happy with HD8 on 4.4.2, not as much as with HD7. Maybe its the ROM maybe its 4.4.2, I dunno. (far to many drops to 3G. I notice app's just dying or system services restarting from time to time. Never saw that before)

I suspect the Note3 VzW crowd will get 4.4.4. Perhaps soon even, I dont see any notice of it here yet. I'm thinking about trying out a new ROM. I read some good things about Gummy ROM, but then realized its a AOSP ROM. I happen to like some of the Samsung APPs, like action memo, multi window, and especially the Note app. So I Think I would still prefer something TouchWiz based.

Looking for suggestions that people have had great success with.

From what I remember reading HD7 was written while the dev still had a Note3 on Verizon, he switched to TMobile and then ported over HD8 to Verizon. That's likely where the glitches come from. I've been using to for a few months now and it's pretty much rock solid. Had a few thing wonky in the beginning but it's been great since.

Jelly Beans is a good ROM to use. I've heard good things about Gummy but never tried it. Biggum (SP) is another good one.

Upvote 0
where is a decent place to find the ROMs for the VzW note 3? on the verizon note 3 XDA forum? Never heard of jelly beans, or Biggum. I'm thinking I would like to go closer to stock, but with wifihot spot enabled. maybe ability to tweak things like headphone volume warning. I'm trying to figure out (recall) how to make a nandroid backup of HD8 with KitKat and safestrap in slot0. Then I'm trying to figure out where to go from there. I dont do this enough for it to be second nature. wish there was a cookbook or something

Upvote 0
well I tried Jasmin 2.3.4. Just had to many issues. Perhaps some were self-inflicted as I tried tweaking things with Xposed. I've got biggin v8.3 on now. Trying it out. but at least I can make a call. Not sure what I did wrong such that I couldnt make a call with Jasmine. Another problem with Jasmine is that I think that they used the S5 calendar, not the N3 calender. I've becoming attached to the ability to use those "stickers" that are available with the appointments.

tried Biggin. seems nice, but doesn't have all the samsung apps (like SNote). Perhaps the issues I had with Hyperdrive were the modem or the firmware. I just had TERRIBLE luck. I was next to a friend on a stock N3, and he always had better signal then me during a recent vacation

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones