• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4.4 (KitKat) update status (Sprint/VZW pushing out now)

So far I'm not seeing much difference but I was using Aviate for most of the time I had my OM. There is the usual change in wallpapers, I miss my Antelope Canyon wallpaper. I also miss my green battery icon, not used to the all white notification bar.

One of my biggest hopes was improved radio functionality but alas that was not to be. I can go for days at work without the phone ringing (already lost contracts over it), have areas all over the city with no internet, phone signal or both and Sprint CS blames a faulty device, the service center blames the service and neither will do anything to help.

Those are just my initial thoughts, I am going to hold off Aviate for a while and will see what the update does bring.

Upvote 0
ive been all up and down southern cali over the last two days (LA to Long Beach) and have had solid voice reception. I have had LTE in majority of spots. I see the same or better voice reception post update as I did prior. i am stock non rooted sprint user and use the phone normal (no mods or hacks to the system).

Reactions: SamuraiBigEd
Upvote 0
I'll get off topic here for a second more, my boss has a Note 3 and he gets perfect reception at work and around town, he can send and receive calls in areas I can't. Like I said neither division wants to do anything to figure the problem out, the store even goes so far as to avoid running tests and the last few times tells me it is because it is the "latest phone designed for the new system which is not up yet, I will be so impressed once it is up and running I'll be glad I stuck with it". If that's the case then they sold me a phone they don't support yet. On my last trip the tech said the phone wasn't set up properly and that was my problem, funny they set it up that way and the changes he made did nothing to improve things.

I love the device but I think I got a lemon and I can't seem to get any satisfaction.

I now return you to the regularly scheduled thread...;)

Upvote 0
VZW so slow with updates its RIDICULOUS!! Not rooting yet! Waiting for Sense 6... and that probably won't come to VZW till end of the year knowing them. :(

I'm right with you,
Supposedly the best coverage but what they don't tell you is they need time to make sure their bloat slows you down!!

Can some with the update PLEASE post some screenshots
like home screen and in phone, camera, I love the transparent bar on top now and would HATE to loose it!

THANK YOU!!!! STILL BEST PHONE I HAVE EVER HAD!!!

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Text reflow?

Text reflow is when you pinch to zoom then double tap on the text to reflow text to fit the screen.

It does work with the mail app but it is disabled with web browsers in kit kat.

I called verizon and they complained for me to HTC and Chrome, HTC acknowledged that google did remove it, but verizon would do nothing else for me:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: verizon said it was a software issue so they could not exchange my phone with another :mad::mad::mad:

So now I have a samsung type of phone, this is what samsung does to their phones also before kit kat:mad::mad::mad:

there has to be a way to flash the entire phone back????

Also I see NOTHING for any type of improvement to the phone with kit kat at all, if anything it seems a little sluggish (not by much at all), I tried clearing the cache and rebooting a few times, I may have to wipe but I am tired of putting lots of time back into getting everything set back up again, If I can somehow flash back, then I could try to wipe first see how it runs then flash back, that would be worth it.

They told me to call HTC and put in a complaint so maybe they can get a fix for all of us. Verizon also put in complaints for me but they said the more they get the faster they may fix it.

HTC # 866-449-8358

Edit: Actually verizon added more bloat to the phone and the phone is locked down more so that may explain the very slight sluggishness I see.

Update:

Hi,
I have disabled some of the verizon apps that I do not use and my phone seems back to normal speed wise.

On the text reflow problem .... the stock web browser works as does UC and OPERA browsers, and many of the others no longer work, but UC seems to have the sluggishness with it so and opera well I like chrome and that does not work and is my biggest gripe.

I disabled vz navigator and Verizon tones and my phone is now back and also I think it took a good 3 days for something to settle in.

But If I could go back I would still.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Update: The reception problem was the phone was not reading the sim card, they manually programmed the phone and everything seems fine now. I do have the text re-flow issue, I can't see the account names when I open my email and there are a few other apps that have the problem, frustrating but livable.

There was another issue but my age addled, coffee starved brain can't think of it at the moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones