• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

D-U-R-X

turbo drinker
Apr 20, 2011
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Well, I was all up for flashing the factory image this weekend, while I had access to my brothers laptop... That was until I just got the OTA update just now!

I've been reading what people who've flashed the factory image have been saying about their experiences in the ATR section, but am looking forward to seeing what I think now :)

Been getting stuff set up... Installed the new launcher and got the "OK Google" feature working - it's a bit of a novelty right now, but seems OK. Think I need to give it a couple of days before I can really make much of a comment on it though :)

Don't keep hotword detection on, its going to murder your battery

Upvote 0
Are the new wallpapers nexus 5 exclusive? I can't see them listed in the wallpaper under display in settings... ??

I believe all of the launcher changes are exclusive to the N5.

Basically, I'm having trouble spotting changes: there are a couple of cosmetic things in e-mail, some additional settings that look US specific - earthquake warnings etc - and it all seems a tad slugglish but otherwise, it's all a bit meh, though at least - so far - meh that still works.

Upvote 0
I think G must have moved into a new rollout phase, seeing lots of reports that peoples' OTA update just started. So I checked for an update, thinking it was in vain, but it wasn't! 4.4 installed with no problems, but I'm not seeing a ton that is different. I will play with it this weekend. Seems like a lot of brand name hype for such an incremental update.

Upvote 0
Not much has changed really. The notification bar battery,signal,time has been changed to white.There's a camera button now on the lockscreen. Added some settings like picking default SMS app and launcher by adding a home option. I have noticed that the os uses less memory them before. Default icons are bigger and thats all I see different really.

Reactions: egDonald
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, I was all up for flashing the factory image this weekend, while I had access to my brothers laptop... That was until I just got the OTA update just now!

I've been reading what people who've flashed the factory image have been saying about their experiences in the ATR section, but am looking forward to seeing what I think now :)
No sign of ota update for me yet. Getting fed up waiting + no help from google either!

Upvote 0
You're better off flashing the image.

OTA is soft-bricking phones. Perhaps Google's payback for us complaining about the wait.

Not all OTAs I hope. My Nexus has had the notification for me to install the upset for the last 2 days.
I've just been waiting for things to stabilize, ie diagnosis, debug, and solution, before I go ahead with the install.
:(

Upvote 0
Not everybody has been bricked. But it does lock up some. HOWEVER, it is rather easy to fix if you are comfortable with command prompts in windows. But if you don't have an unlocked bootloader, you will suffer a loss of your data should you need to go this route.

On a side note, my roommate got the OTA on his phone today and it's working fine.

Upvote 0
So go grab the factory image. They are exactly the same build. No need to get upset!
Thanks for your response...not upset more annoyed with the lack of info coming from Google. I would side load the update as you suggest but not sure of ability to do this. if someone would like to post a step by step noob instruction list that would be great. I use windows 8.1 customised with Stardock's start8 if any help.
Regards
David

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones