• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 405.5 OTA update won't install

I have a de-branded, unlocked Desire which has previously updated over the air without any problems. My phone IS NOT ROOTED and my SD card IS A GOLD CARD which, again, has worked perfectly with previous OTA updates.

The latest 405.5 update downloads OK but when I hit install, the phone reboots and then just hangs with a picture of the phone with the red triangle and exclamation mark symbol. At this point, no keys work - not even the power button. The only way to recover is to remove the battery and reboot. The phone then boots up fine and everything works but the update has not installed.

I've deleted apps so that there's 40MB of internal space available but the update still fails. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this update to install or should I just not bother with it?

Thanks in advance,
Tony

I have the same problem but when I searched for information on the update I got posts as early as March and April. Why would we only be getting it now.

I'm on an O2 De-Branded HTC Desire and have had 3 successful OTA updates since I De-Branded it.

I replied to this in your other post. Its a different update.

Upvote 0
Yeah, two days now, tried to free up internal memory (35MB so far), a lot on SD, have phone fully charged, plugged/unplugged to pc/charger... Don't want to remove too much from internal memory. Anyone who have failed to updated, how much internal memory free? Ready to give up:mad:
Unbranded o2 uk with/without gold card. Current os: 2.29.405.2 flashed with ruu

Upvote 0
I just found this other thread on here: http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/243965-system-upgrade-2-29-405-5-a.html

As gerenmoor says:

"Tried applying this on my unlocked, unbranded Orange UK Desire (not rooted, and with gold card correctly installed) and failed twice, so I decided it's not for me. No apparent harm done to Desire, but still at 2.29.405.2. Now HTC seem to agree - I'm not being offered it any more. Perhaps it's been pulled?

According to HTC on twitter, there was an update out for the Desire Z and Desire HD, but didn't refer to the ordinary Desire, so perhaps it wasn't really meant for the ordinary Desire. I think I'll be cautious and wait for the next OTA release."

I tend to agree and am going to wait for the next OTA update to appear.

Cheers,
Tony

Upvote 0
After a few hours, the update returned from the dead. I've gone through the process of getting a new goldcard, which had 4 bytes different from my original working one (so I assume the folk who produce the goldcard images have refined their code since I last got one). Tried the update again, and it failed exactly the same way.

Hope HTC aren't trying to stop us using OTA updates on unlocked unbranded phones. Not much point when people are able to update them by PC. Wouldn't surprise me though.

Upvote 0
Hi

I have a UK Orange debranded and sim unlocked desire which has a valid gold card installed and have tried to accept the latest OTA 2.*.*.5 and it downloaded and failed with the red triangle issue.

I found a link on here to shipped roms RUU .exe file to flash via PC but I am having a "not valid win32 application" appear when I try to run it I have also tried to run in compatibility mode. (I am using WIN7 Home Premium 32bit)

Has anyone else had any luck flashing via PC with a RUU or does anyone have a link to the ZIP file as there is only .exe on Shipped Roms

I think the only way to try and apply the update will be to copy it to the Goldcard and try and flash it from the recovery console.

Anyone got any more advice?

Upvote 0
I'm extremely reluctant to 'force' this update to install. My phone is working perfectly with the 405.2 update installed and I have no confidence in this new update. No one can even tell me what advantages this latest update is supposed to bestow on my phone.
I've contacted HTC technical support but we're still at the 'are you installing the update over a mobile network or WiFi' stage. I expect by the time they tell me anything useful a newer update will have magically appeared.

Upvote 0
Nothing relevant from HTC yet - I will post their response here as soon as I get anything.

Some people on this forum have suggested that maybe HTC have found a way to circumvent the gold card and therefore deny us de-branders the latest updates! If true, I can't really see what HTC hope to gain by this action. If that is confirmed, then I'll no longer have any reason not to root and go for a custom ROM.

Personally, I think the update was rushed through before Christmas without the proper tests and that a fixed version will be released shortly... 405.6 maybe?

Upvote 0
I tried a pm99.ing and update.zip last night both from the bootloader on the goldcard neither worked.

I don't think HTC would be bothered about goldcards they are hardly anal like Steve jobs and Apple.

Poorly developed update that arrives at Xmas, should have been April fools

The gold card spoofs the SID of the device from the branded SID to a Generic SID so the update reads the goldcard's SID and installs regardless of the phones actual SID.

However, some of the errors I have seen reported are saying that the SID is incorrect. In one case it referenced orange.ro or something, which will be the phones actual SID.

So for whatever reason, the gold cards are not working. It's either accidental or by design. I would go for the latter, but cannot be sure

Upvote 0
The gold card spoofs the SID of the device from the branded SID to a Generic SID so the update reads the goldcard's SID and installs regardless of the phones actual SID.

However, some of the errors I have seen reported are saying that the SID is incorrect. In one case it referenced orange.ro or something, which will be the phones actual SID.

So for whatever reason, the gold cards are not working. It's either accidental or by design. I would go for the latter, but cannot be sure
CID?

but yeah seems a bit odd
I get a feeling HTC are testing different lockout procedures

1st we have the new HTC_ARA firmware which is unrootable and un_S-offable
2nd we have pvt4 devices that root but have a different erase size so all recoveries need to be adapted and only certain roms work (s-off does not work on these)
3rd we have a Firmware version which will not flash with goldcards (seems only the official HTC unbranded ones work)

maybe thats the reason the build version has remained the same and only the package number has changed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones