• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

42Mbps T-Mobile Amaze supports AT&T HSPA+ frequency?

colnago

Android Expert
Nov 17, 2009
you do realize 42meg is theoretical and not actual speeds. but yes, any phone that works on AT&T will work on T-Mobile, its the exact same technology, same frequencies.

My point was that the Amaze is one of the first "42Mbps capable" phones to be released, for either carrier, and one would be able to enjoy "faster speeds" at possibly a lower monthly rate (depending on one's plan). Again, being that its a non-AT&T branded phone, it would not be considered a "smartphone", and subject to the mandatory plan. A viable option as many complain about the poor selection of good Android phones on AT&T. However I used a "?" in the title because info on a carrier's product pge is not always correct...as in the case w/my current Sensation 4G. 850 UMTS support was listed on the T-Mo site, but removed around the time of its relase.

As far as AT&T and T-Mobile utilizing the same HSPA/UMTS frequencies, as carriers, that is incorrect. T-Mobile uses 1700/2100, while AT&T uses 850/1900. Most carrier branded phones will "work" on the other carrier, but only at Edge speeds. The Amaze, much like my Defy and a few other rare exceptions, are examples of 3G capable devices, which function at 3G speeds, on "both" carriers.

Upvote 0
What about going the other direction?
Does ATT sell any Android phones that will work cross carrier like that?
In other words, are any ATT phones capable of using the TMO frequencies at the higher 3G speeds?
I am ready to upgrade from My Captivate but would dearly love to have a phone I could use with both carriers at 3G speeds for data once its unlocked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones