• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4G/3G/2G Toggle?

Nope. AT&T disabled that option on the aria. I don't know why though. On my iPhones and blackberries I always switched it to 2g when I was at work due to such a poor 3G signal and it really helps with battery life

well if this option isnt available on the inspire which i cant see. You can always download beautiful widgets they have those toggles

Upvote 0
My question has been answered by @HTCSource I asked
@HTCSource How long did you end up getting out of the inspire and what kind of use did you put it through? Can it be forced to 3G or 2g?

@phillip_price on average, the inspire has been lasting me 10 to 12 hours with moderate to heavy usage. No option to switch between 2G/3G

Very disappointing for me to hear that, and pair it with the new 4G plans, I may stick with my captivate longer than I thought.

Upvote 0
My question has been answered by @HTCSource I asked
@HTCSource How long did you end up getting out of the inspire and what kind of use did you put it through? Can it be forced to 3G or 2g?

@phillip_price on average, the inspire has been lasting me 10 to 12 hours with moderate to heavy usage. No option to switch between 2G/3G

Very disappointing for me to hear that, and pair it with the new 4G plans, I may stick with my captivate longer than I thought.

Man that stinks. For me its not a deal breaker but you it seemed important

Upvote 0
There is an option hidden away to toggle WCDMA or GSM-only.

Tap "Phone"
Type: *#*#4636#*#*
The "Testing" menu should open.
Tap "Phone Information"
scroll down to "Set preferred network type" and select GSM only for 2G operation. Selecting "WCDMA Only" will not allow a 2G connection.
Using Any Cut I was able to access a few hidden screens. On both screens I changed from CDMA preferred to GSM Only. The changes stick on the screens, but they have no effect or operation of the phone. That is, regardless of the setting, the phone stays in 4g mode.

Upvote 0
On T-mobile or AT&T this works:
settings-wireless&network-mobile networks-network mode-Now choose GSM ONLY! I did speed tests and it's dumped into 2G mode for SURE.

Give it 10 seconds and it cycles to what it call 'G" mode but it check my email fine and the battery last longer.

Can someone add this to an app or widget? I'd buy it! It's pain to go through the manual steps.

Using Any Cut I was able to access a few hidden screens. On both screens I changed from CDMA preferred to GSM Only. The changes stick on the screens, but they have no effect or operation of the phone. That is, regardless of the setting, the phone stays in 4g mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones