1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

4g and the Evo 4g LTE

1. pandacookie

pandacookie Panda-riffic! Guide

I now own a Samsung Galaxy S3, while my son owns my old Evo 4g LTE. I have noticed that my S3 is consistently on 4g, while the Evo struggles to keep a 4g signal and is usually on 3g. Both phones are rooted and are on custom roms, so I know how ROMs tend to be more "honest" about 3g/4g. I tried changing roms on the Evo, but the phone still struggles to stay on 4g. So I'm thinking this could be a hardware issue. What do you all think? Should I unroot the Evo and send it back to Sprint? Or should I continue experimenting with roms?

Advertisement
    :
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

roms do not touch things like 4g or 3g radios. you can try and update your raios and see if that helps if not then yes you might want to see if sprint can do anything for you. no need to unroot at first. just flash a stock rom and take it in and see if it is a hardware issue.
    dustwun77, pandacookie and EarlyMon like this.
  3. pandacookie

Thanks! I wasn't sure about a lot of things regarding radios.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

pandacookie likes this.
  5. -Mike-

-Mike- Well-Known Member

The EVO LTE is a turd when it comes to anything to do with its signal. I wish I could go back to November 2012 and change my EVO LTE to the S3. I have really good 4G in my area but not on my EVO. I'm lucky to get 3G. This is definitely my last HTC phone and probably last run with Sprint over this crap. Good luck getting them involved. Don't get your hopes set too high.
    pandacookie likes this.
  6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Wish we'd heard that in detail right off, apologies if you said it and I missed it.

Others reported this problem, got an RF box test at Sprint, failed, replacement phone with no further issues.

Lemons can happen with any brand on any carrier. Please give your next phone's radios a workout right away. Nothing but a replacement fixes bad radio chips.
  7. mikem0269

mikem0269 Well-Known Member

I would go see sprint. This is sitting om my couch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    21.8 mbps
    pandacookie likes this.
  8. pandacookie

Nuts! I had a feeling i had a dud. :(
  9. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

My 4g LTE gets great reception on 3g and 4g. As a matter of fact it gets a stronger signal than either of our e3d's do.

I've been running meanbean since it came out.
    ocnbrze and dustwun77 like this.
  10. pandacookie

I just checked the radios. They are current. Nothing to update. I think I'd better give Sprint a call. :(
  11. dustwun77

dustwun77 Endeavor to Persevere :) Guide

I'm sure many of us would be interested in hearing what they say.

good luck!
    pandacookie likes this.
  12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Best way, call Sprint corporate, describe the problem and tell them that you want them to get an RF box test, and for them to schedule it for you.

Then you walk in at your appointment time, there's no arguing or explaining, and then you'll know.

Launch your Sprint Zone app, help, contact customer care.