4G data will be an extra $10 add-on

Last Updated:

1. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest This Topic's Starter

In order to provide the best experience, HTC EVO 4G will use Sprint's industry-leading Everything Data or Business Advantage Messaging and Data plans that include unlimited Web, texting and calling on the Sprint Network to every mobile in America with Any Mobile, AnytimeSM. Everything Data plans start at $69.99 per month. A $10 per month Premium Data add-on will apply allowing customers to take advantage of a richer data experience than ever before.

Sprint | News Release

Advertisement
    Jceinc likes this.
  2. DILands

DILands Well-Known Member Contributor

And $29.95 for Hotspot - are you kidding me?

3. SoFLO

Sigh, as disappointing as it is, I will probably still cough up the $10. Screw the hotspot though.

4. lobug

lobug Banned

It doesnt say $10 extra for the 4g which sounds like it might be $10 extra even for 3g only areas

5. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

Thanks Sprint!!

Though, to be honest, when the phone is only $199, they have to screw us somewhere. That is really cheap for this phone.

6. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

Yeah $29.95 seems a little high. They must be anticipating lots of sales for this phone and a lot of data usage.

7. mystik

mystik New Member

The phone is good enough and the plans are cheap enough to begin with that I will probably pay the $10 ... but $29.99/mo for hotspot, no way. I'll just root and put on wifi tether and be done with it.

8. SoFLO

My thoughts exactly. Sprint isn't stupid. Even with the $10 add-on they'll still be cheaper than a comparable Verizon or AT&T plan.

9. mystik

mystik New Member

10. anexanhume

anexanhume Well-Known Member

I agree. If it were 10 extra for 4G only, I still wouldn't pay it, and I'm in an upcoming 4g area (LA). Sense, snapdragon and the 4.3" screen are why I care about this phone.

11. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

Agreed. This could certainly mean the $10 "bend over" charge is for both 3G and 4G.:mad:

12. ilaofficial

ilaofficial Well-Known Member

T-mobile that's horseshit I'm in LA we don't even have 4g and I have to pay an extra $10 bucks a month for 3g come on dude.

13. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

wow, did you think they were going to give you hotspot service for FREE?
    It's still a damn good deal.

14. hookem12387

hookem12387 Well-Known Member

Hrm, the feature I cared about most (tethering) is pricey to the point that it looks like I may be iPhone 4 bound. Such is life

15. secretmethod70

secretmethod70 Well-Known Member

As far as I understand, the $10 Premium Data is an optional add-on for Sprint TV Premium and other extras. The Premium Data add-on isn't new for the Evo, so a quick Google search can clarify.

16. secretmethod70

secretmethod70 Well-Known Member

Even at $30, the hotspot feature brings Sprint's plan to the same cost as a comparable AT&T plan, not more. So, with the Evo you pay the same price and get a much better phone with much better service.

17. SoFLO

Well I have no idea if they'll charge that to those who don't have 4G, my good sir. It's an add-on, not a new plan.

18. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

We will very soon, so it doesn't even matter.

19. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Dude, the point isn't the hotspot. Nobody really cared about the hotspot and those who really need it will probably have no problem paying for it.

The point is that the regular plans will charge you more for 4G. They didn't do that when 3G rolled out and it is unfortunate that they are doing it for 4G.

Excuse me for bitching and complaining but I just spent the past several weeks echoing Dan Hesse's statement that Wimax saves them lots of money so they will be bringing it to us at no extra charge.

Now I not only gave out bad info but I bought into it. Went from a $55 bill with more minutes than I needed, unlimited data, and a text package to a $70 bill in order to get the Pre. I figured, who cares. It's still cheaper than the competition and I get a good phone and good service.

Now only a year later they are asking me to cough up yet another $10 a month for 4G.

It's not exorbitant and I will probably suck it up and open my wallet. I am just annoyed that they would do this...if only for their business.

They need to get subscribers more than anything and their current plans with 4G gradually being added would have made them a powerhouse. The $10 addon is just a cheap move like the mail-in rebates and will lose them money in lost potential subscriptions in the long run.

Painkillaz likes this.
  20. pcsperson

pcsperson Well-Known Member

Was thinking about the same thing, as I will use to extra speed to fill up my 1GB ROM, and stanard 8 GB microSD card

21. gibsonhtp

gibsonhtp Well-Known Member

the $10 is an add-on to the existing everything data plans. you can add it if you want, you don't HAVE to pay it.

22. hookem12387

hookem12387 Well-Known Member

$30+$10+$69+$5 (for airave, essential in my apt) = $114 - $17(corp discount) = $97 before taxes. I pay $85 after taxes on my Iphone right now. After tax, I'm not sure it's worth $30 more to me. But that will be a personal opinion for everyone, I'm sure.

23. rmmorse81

rmmorse81 Well-Known Member

Just got an email from Sprint. The $10 is for the Evo 4g. It doesnt matter if you are in a 3g or 4g area. You get an Evo, then you pay $10 more per month.

24. DaveG

DaveG Well-Known Member

25. SoFLO