• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4g in LA, do i believe this?

I don't believe LA will have 4G/WiMax until Fall. If that May 12 launch party in NY is legit, I believe NY will be the first major market to have 4G/WiMax and then slowly it'll build and be available in the other major markets.

A friend of mine made a good point about 4G/WiMax being available in smaller markets first vs. larger markets. If anything goes wrong in those smaller markets, it's easier to focus on the issues in the smaller markets, as supposed to making it available in larger markets first (which would be a nightmare if anything went wrong).

Then, by the time they've figured out the problems/issues (if any), they can put more time, money and energy into making sure the major markets won't have any problems, which will also help marketing (which is crucial in major markets) and sales.

Upvote 0
They will definitely roll it out before the end of the year. Hopefully sooner than later!

I agree. I believe that all the major markets should have 4G connectivity by the end of the year. That's just my opinion, of course.

As long as I've been with Sprint and as loyal as I've been, I've always been skeptical of their follow-thru with technology advancement, so hopefully 4G/WiMax will be something that they're really ready for and allowing the company to be an innovator, not a follower.

Upvote 0
They usually spend a good several months testing before officially offering Wimax service to customers. We had it in Baltimore for a while before they sold the service to the public. I was lucky enough to get in on the testing and got a free laptop out of the deal :) I think the goal is to at least get NYC, DC, and LA up and running with the Evo since that will allow them to cover a large population. It makes more sense to start in the big cities and work your way out. That's how you reach the most people right off the bat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones