4g in NYC

Last Updated:

1. cyberelex

cyberelex Member This Topic's Starter

Just popped on my 4g in Woodside Queens and Bang 4g. Did a speed test and i am getting 4mb down 1up. Can anyone else confirm. I tried it in Manhattan earlier but i was not getting a signal.

Advertisement
  2. Aldo Junior Ao2

Aldo Junior Ao2 Well-Known Member

From what engadget said yesterday they are starting to turn on the switches for 4g in New York City. When i go to the Manhattan i'll check while im on the roof tomorrow.

3. Mekstar

Mekstar Active Member

I happened to be in Manhattan (Financial District/Midtown) over the weekend. After many attempts, I was unable to successfully connect to/or find an 4G network.. :( Can anyone else confirm?

4. scott2055

scott2055 Member

Same here. last weekend, seaport - no luck :(

5. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

On Tuesday I got a very strong signal on the Williamsburg Bridge, and in some places throughout the city from testing earlier in the month. but near wall street nada, zip nothing. I haven't gone to midtown so I can't say if it was turned on there.

So far the places I've been to and did get a signal are
    Kew Gardens (Queens boro hall area)
    Queens Hospital (Parsons and Grand Central Parkway)
    Flushing Meadows Park near the LIE interchange.
    Williamsburgh, Brooklyn Bridges
    South Street Seaport Pier
    Coney Island/Bay Parkway

Mind you all of the above come and go. Its not consistent so I guess they are still testing it on and off. But its a sure sign its coming.

TS

Attached Files:

6. biggamer3

biggamer3 Well-Known Member

Live in Brooklyn, while driving around i get it in some parts for a few moments. So its definitely comin

7. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Screen shot added to my previous post of my 4G connection on the EVO on Tues on the Williamsburg Bridge.

TS

8. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

I can confirm the signal at the South Street Seaport Pier. I had 4G for a short period of time but it came and went.

9. DarkManX4lf

DarkManX4lf Well-Known Member

I'm in staten island and I don't get 4g. :(. But according to the Sprint there is supposed to be a new tower coming up on the north side of the island.... hopefully that has 4g.

10. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

Any idea of when this tower would be operational?

I'm in Silver Lake so this would be awesome.

11. nycmike

nycmike Member

Coney Island had weak 4g signal this morning...but at least it gives me hope.:)

12. takeheart

takeheart Member

Over the past week, I tested the signal throughout the city (Midtown / Union Square / Financial District, SoHo) and also in Williamsburg, where I live. No dice thus far. Encouraging to hear some people are starting to see some 4g pop up, though.

13. DucatiDude

DucatiDude Well-Known Member

I always get 4G around the UN when I'm driving down the FDR. Also on 95 for 10 seconds when Im passing through the Bronx.

14. herzzreh

herzzreh Active Member

Getting weak signal in Ft Wadsworth (right under VZ) in SI. Speed is on par with my ISDN line from 1995... :( On 3G in the same spot, I get 1.4mbps on average.

15. erider81

erider81 New Member

last night i suddenly got a 4g signal in Middlesex NJ. so someone flipped a switch in NY. :)

16. Mekstar

Mekstar Active Member

Ok, so the distance from Williamsburg to Peck Slip is roughly 2.5 Miles. I was at VOX Wine Bar in Peck Slip, and ZIP for 4G.. I'm very curious to know the actual range on a 4G tower/Antenna. IMO this doesn't seem right.. Does this mean in outlying suburban areas. There will have to be a extreme amount of 4G towers built/upgraded to handle the demand? If so, one would assume this will take years.. I reside just outside of Philadelphia in Bucks County. A fairly densely populated area. So, i would imagine 4g coverage is on its way. Especially considering there is Clear WiMax stores popping up in the malls. Anyways, there are a few towers within 3 miles of my home and still i cant find a 4g signal.. Whats the deal??

17. veereihen6

veereihen6 Active Member

Got a 4G signal at my parents house in Whitestone today. Near Parsons and 17th. Did a speed test and only got about 2.5 download.

18. nycmike

nycmike Member

4g has arrived in Coney Island. Speedtest shows at 3.40Mbps down and 1.02Mbps up. Won't work well in my building but neither does 3G.

19. vli

vli New Member

i was at coney island today, got a quick zap of 4g, 3.7 down and 0.9 up :)

20. isimac

isimac New Member

I was able to get a GOOD signal while on 101st and First in Manhattan. 5MB down and 1.5 up. Sprint TWas super shards and youtube vids play in high quality automatically. Tonight ill tether using pdanet and post my findings.

21. cave-droid

cave-droid Active Member

I just got a 4G signal when I was standing at 3rd Ave. and 25th St. in Brooklyn but when I walked North two blocks it disappeared.

22. DarkManX4lf

DarkManX4lf Well-Known Member

I don't know but to be honest, if you look at the Sprint coverage page, there is a future tower coming, problem is its been showing that for a year if I can remember.....I called them about a year or two ago to complain about signal issues and they did tell me about the tower but couldn't tell me when its going up.

23. ookees

ookees Member

Sprint updated their coverage information the tower is a 3G tower located in Port Richmond. I don't think it's operational yet because the tower is only a few blocks away from me and I haven't gotten a stronger signal yet.

24. swazey

swazey Well-Known Member

only "scanning" in the village, 10011

25. chrisbone123

chrisbone123 Member

I got 4g service in the kew gardens ( unions tpke area).
    And spotty service in Jamaica Queens ( York college area)