4G in Richmond,VA!!!

Last Updated:

1. xxINFIDELxx

xxINFIDELxx Well-Known Member

I was curious as to whether we had coverage here in central,VA so I turned on 4G yesterday at lunch in the East End of Richmond....3 bars of steady 4G. Then today I went out to Short Pump and had a strong signal. Tested speed test and had 3-4 mbs down and 1 up(round about figures). The signal wasn't very consistant though when I went about a mile down the street from where I had strong signal I then had none. I'll be leaving this off unless plugged into my car charger since it kept searching for a signal and it'd surely drain my battery fast.

Advertisement
  2. lostprophet894

lostprophet894 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of jealous. I've found no trace of 4G here in Northern Virginia.

Wonder how long it'll take Sprint to get those towers up...
  3. Brodequin

Brodequin Member

No way! I'll definitely have to give this a shot. I live in the Stony Point area (get a poor signal at home, good thing for the Airave) and work downtown so I'll certainly test there. Keep us (me) posted.
  4. xxINFIDELxx

xxINFIDELxx Well-Known Member

I was at the Sprint store in front of Short Pump mall. Thought they may have a repeater but the salesman said no. I went up the street to Best Buy and still had a signal but it kept finding and searching for 4g. I also got a signal in the White Oak mall in the East End. It's the only 2 places I tested. I only work 3 miles from my house so when I get home I usually just change it to wi-fi.
  5. badsector

badsector New Member

I'm also able to get 4g in Richmond, though inconsistent. Speedtest.net app confirmed about 3mbps down and up.
  6. ortizdupri

ortizdupri Active Member

I have it here in Arlington.
  7. Mikesnap

Mikesnap Well-Known Member

I live out in Winchester, VA so i'm sure it will be a long long time till i get 4g out here but keep us updated on where and how far it starts stretching outside of D.C. and Richmond. I don't go down to D.C. frequently but enough for baseball games and going out and what not to use 4g for sure when i'm there or if i'm down in fairfax/arlington/alexandria ect.
  8. Federer

Federer Well-Known Member

What about virgina beach?
  9. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

cool i travel to the short pump area every year, so it will be like i never left home lol
  10. IXIShogunR1

IXIShogunR1 Well-Known Member

no 4G up here in Ashland.... just went out to try it
  11. Aragorn

Aragorn Well-Known Member

Are you guys really seeing >1Mbit/s upload speeds on 4G? I had heard that they capped uploads to 1Mbps and my testing in Seattle confirms that. Speedtest.net pegs uploads at exactly 1Mbps.
  12. IXIShogunR1

IXIShogunR1 Well-Known Member

i get .8-1.2Mbps just on 3G

a lot of speed test ive seen is 3+
  13. BIG CTY

BIG CTY Member

I havent tried it, but I don't think so. I live in Chesapeake and work in VA Beach, havent seen it but thats because I havent tried it. Nice to know its in my hometown of Richmond since I'm up there frequently.
  14. Aragorn

Aragorn Well-Known Member

That's fine, I'm also seeing >1Mbps on 3G. But, I had heard that 4G was specifically capped at 1 for upload. That's what makes me wonder if the numbers they are getting are reliable.
  15. slbailey1

slbailey1 Well-Known Member

What about Fort Lee and Hopewell?
  16. Brodequin

Brodequin Member

Got a chance to get to Short Pump. On 4G, using the test at mobilespeedtest.net, I was getting speeds of between 1600-1900kbps. In downtown Richmond on 3G I get around 90-130kbps.
  17. DavidMc

DavidMc New Member

I have turned 4G on a few times in Virginia Beach (Lynnhaven and Kempsville areas) and no luck. I got to use 4G out in Hawaii earlier this year and it was a very nice experience over 3G (data card). About 4mb down and 1mb up. It would be nice if we see it by the end of the year but I'm not holding my breath. Was Richmond even on the published schedules from Clear?
  18. looch8114

looch8114 New Member

From what I was told (not sure how true but I have good sources) 4G is constantly being tested in northern VA, the Richmond & Tri-cities, and the Tide Water areas and if all continues to go well, all sprint has to do is flip the switch and it will be up and running (supposedly going to happen in about a month). This may be why some people are seeing coverage come in and out but the landscape is definitely already in place.
  19. ccrun1800

ccrun1800 Active Member

I really hope your source is a good one. Hampton here and 4G would be a real nice thing.
  20. dolfan08

dolfan08 New Member

Must be nice! Nothing in Norfolk and my 3G is slow as hell! Getting 500k down on a good day.
  21. DavidMc

DavidMc New Member

That would be great if true but the last time we talked with a Clear rep while waiting for a connecting flight in DFW (bought us a data card and modem to play with in our Hawaii office) he knew of no plans for Hampton Roads. DC and Richmond he knew of for later this year. Hopefully its sooner rather then later.
  22. MACAVELLI227

MACAVELLI227 New Member

I work at Staples Mill and Broad and am getting a constant 4g signal, although only one bar.... I've heard as well that Richmond is a test market so that is why we aren't seeing 4G coverage throughout the city. CLEAR told me back in January that we would definitely be 4G by third quarter.

HTC EVO --- ITS THE BOMB!!!!
  23. fei-lo

fei-lo New Member

I was in Best Buy tonight and was told RVA's 4G would go live on July 27th! Hope it's true... I thought we'd be waiting longer than that.

Can anyone confirm?
  24. Matt H

Matt H Member

All over the place in Manassas.