• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4G LTE Problems

For those in a 4G LTE area, how is it?

Other than being in the VZW Corporate store, I have not been able to connect to 4G LTE. I live about 3.5 miles away from the store and tower and I have yet to be able to get 4G LTE. I did not have any problems with my old Thunderbolt connecting to 4G LTE.

I am now on my second SIM card and I still cannot connect. Even the 3G connection is "crawling." They are shipping a new phone to me tomorrow.

Anybody else having these problems?

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
I live in a suburb just south of Atlanta where i bought the phone this morning and am work now in downtown Atlanta. I have had 3 to 4 bars of 4g all day long so the signal seems pretty damn good to me. Fantastic speed!!

Do any speed tests yet? I'm going to be a new verizon customer and I live in Acworth, which is included in Atlanta's 4G area. Was wondering what I should expect.

Upvote 0
Do any speed tests yet? I'm going to be a new verizon customer and I live in Acworth, which is included in Atlanta's 4G area. Was wondering what I should expect.

Just did some through the Speed Test app and 2 bars of 4g and got:
6029 kbps download and 954 kbps upload
5822 kbps down and 898 kbps up

Then moved by a window and got 4 bars of 4g and got:
7223 down and 2062 up

Not sure what other's are getting but this damn is fast to me!:D

Upvote 0
Just did some through the Speed Test app and 2 bars of 4g and got:
6029 kbps download and 954 kbps upload
5822 kbps down and 898 kbps up

Then moved by a window and got 4 bars of 4g and got:
7223 down and 2062 up

Not sure what other's are getting but this damn is fast to me!:D

Those results aren't really anything special. In the area that is covered with 4G near me, my average is 15 down and 4 up. This is on a blazing fast Rezound.

Upvote 0
Just a quick update:

I called VZW Tech Support again and was transferred to second tier tech support. She put a ticket in for my problem of no data connection. It is a "Priority 1" ticket now, because there are a lot of other people experiencing this problem.

Bottom line, some people will experience very little or no data connection on 3G or 4G LTE.

Upvote 0
Just a quick update:

I called VZW Tech Support again and was transferred to second tier tech support. She put a ticket in for my problem of no data connection. It is a "Priority 1" ticket now, because there are a lot of other people experiencing this problem.

Bottom line, some people will experience very little or no data connection on 3G or 4G LTE.

I am having this same exact problem except I am not anywhere near home and this is the only phone I've got to make calls with and it doesn't work. I've never seen more than 1 bar in either 3G or 4G (and i'm not even sure if there is 4G coverage in this area).

Can I still use the phone I had before the upgrade to make calls?

Upvote 0
Same problem here, too. I pulled 23 Mbps when I did a couple tests outside of the Best Buy but I live maybe 2 miles away and I'm getting little to no 4g most of the time. 3G has been okay-ish though.
Honolulu, Hawaii

Also, I have been getting 2-3 bars of 4G but haven't been able to really connect at all so I have to put it to 3G mode.

Upvote 0
So, I'm out of town on business and went at lunch hour to upgrade my rooted, Powerwashed Samsung Fascinate for the Galaxy Nexus.

After activation, I placed a test call and it went through, even though I noticed that there were no bars on the display.

So, I walk out to the car and go to setup my contacts (by logging into gmail) and it switches wifi on automatically without even trying to log in (or giving me an option to put in my account info).

I fired up the browser but, of course, no connection. Went back to work until about 5 and I am trying to not get completely frustrated at this thing.

I've already placed the phone in 3G only mode, which doesn't appear to be helping any. I cannot make any calls. It will usually just sit on the call screen for a few seconds, then make the "call disconnected" noise and take me back to the dialer. I can connect fine to the internet on Wifi in my hotel room.

My Fascinate had no problems getting signal here (4-5 bars all the time). Now I am getting nothing.

When I do manage to get or send a text, I have to resend out two or three times and I get texts in doubles.

Here are some pictures. So far... extremely upset with this piece of junk that I've waited so long for. I'm willing to try pretty much anything to get it working.

https://picasaweb.google.com/102110200024547064036/December152011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Upvote 0
I went to the Verizon store to see the Nexus and I found it to be slow with Google Maps and Google Earth. I asked one of the sales people there and he said they are in an area that goes in and out of 4G and told me to used the coverage map at www.verizonwireless.com/coverage . You must check the 4G box.

According to the map, the store was in 4G LTE area but the speed wasn't great. I didn't look to see if the phone was indicating 4G. Then I checked my address and the colors kept changing between dark red and orange as I zoomed in and out and what was red on one zoom could be orange the next time I was at that level.

Disappointing! I don't even want the Nexus, I want the Note but I figured I could get it for a while and when the note comes out, give the Nexus to my wife.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones