1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General 4G on and off...

1. skinlab

skinlab Well-Known Member

Anyone figure out if there is a way to turn 4g off and go to 3g or 1x? I tried anycut but i get force close on everything i tried..

Advertisement
  2. alfick3

alfick3 Well-Known Member

I know there are some apps that supposedly do this. I don't know if they require root or not.
  3. bnb25

bnb25 Well-Known Member

Crazy question, why would you want to do that? Kind of defeats the point of a 4G phone.
  4. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior Guide

If your not using your phone you can turn off 4G to conserve battery.
    Also for people that have gone over their data caps full speed 3G can be up to 7x faster than throttled 4G.
    sammyz likes this.
  5. Idrish

Idrish Well-Known Member

Coming from previous experience with my esteem, I had the admire and upgraded to the esteem.... my 4g would never pop up always 3g or 1x and you know how ******ed I looked with a 4g phone n not having it lol..... well the reason why is because I had the 40ollar plan which is not a 4g plan.... so I upgraded to the 60 dollar plan and boom i had 4g constantly.... so maybe you have to upgrade your bill....
  6. Gman9831

He said turn his 4G "off"
  7. skrapmetal

skrapmetal Well-Known Member

Theres an app on google play called Data Switch. It's a tiny file, and it uses a shortcut rather than a widget so it doesn't run in the background. Works perfectly without having to edit the settings.
  8. Gman9831

If that just turns data off, he still wants data
  9. GameTheory

GameTheory Well-Known Member

There is no solid app around to do this. I think this is the only one out there, and I don't consider it solid enough for me to install on my devices.

You can try it if you want to. It was updated recently and seems to be for cdma which the spirit is.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brownent.switchit&hl=en