4G Power Consumption & Testing Questions

Last Updated:

1. Howard Packer

Howard Packer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

We just got 4G in Miami, and I was wondering about how turning this feature on will affect battery life on my Epic.

How much more battery power is needed to drive the 4G versus 3G? Suppose I am in an area with a weak signal? Does the phone try to connect repeatedly if I lose the signal, draining the battery that much more quickly, or does it only try to connect at a reasonable enough interval that the battery drain won't be such a big deal?

If 4G turns out to be a power hog, do I even need it for things like regular cell calls, or should I just reserve it for downloading/uploading files? Honestly, for most of what I am doing (calls, texts, satellite radio, occasional app downloads), I am not really even seeing much of a difference with the 4G turned on. If it really drains the battery, when does it make sense to turn it on or leave it off?

Is there a good app to test speeds that anyone can suggest? Looking for something to verify 4G connection, and to compare speed to 3G.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Rileyy-

Rileyy- Well-Known Member

What drains your battery is searching for signal .

3. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

yeah.. bad weak signal on any of your radios..3G, 4G, Phone...

will run your battery down.. if it is constantly testing for connection.

4G is only beneficial when you are using Data. when surfing net.. or transferring large files. Otherwise, i would just leave off 4G.

there are plenty of apps to test your data speeds in the market.. they are free...