4G Problems with Google I/O Phones?Support

Last Updated:

1. h2_hummer

h2_hummer Active Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone else had problems getting 4G to work on the phones given out at the Google I/O Conference? I am in Raleigh, NC with a very strong 4G signal, but the phone will not work on 4G. It finds the 4G Network, but then it tries to get an IP Address from Sprint and just sets there, hung in that state.

I have tried it at several different spots, all with great 4G reception. It finds the network fine, but never gets an IP Address.

Tech support is working on it, they think something is not set correctly on the account, but they don't know what. Anyone else have this trouble?

Thanks... C

Advertisement
  2. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

Sounds like the phone is not provisioned correctly for 4g access, are you using it on the IO number or did you switch over to a personal line??

RiverOfIce likes this.
  3. h2_hummer

Still on the number that came with the phone. I have not switched the phone over to my Sprint account yet.

C

4. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

I'm happy all of you I/O guinea pigs are beta testing my phone for me :D

5. shadrap

shadrap Well-Known Member

I am in Greensboro, I recently drove to Raleigh and back and tried out my 4G. I didn't have a problem with the 4G as long as I was sitting still. Mine has never requested an IP address. Hope you get it resolved. Let us know the outcome.

6. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

That has happened a few thousand times with me. The phone is not provisioned on the network. Tech will have to flash the phone.

7. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

It's the exact same phone that you will get on the 4th. We just get it over a week early. :D

8. h2_hummer

Were you using an Evo from the Google Conference? 4G works fine with an Overdrive. It is just not working on this particular phone.

9. eieio

eieio Well-Known Member

4g looks for a MAC address. I have never seen a device request an ip address so that is weird.

There is a setting under advance setting in the phone to see if it has been assigned a mac address if there is not one the phone has not been provisioned correctly..

Pull the batter for 2 minutes and see if there is a PRL update..

You can manually check for these

10. shadrap

shadrap Well-Known Member

Yes. I have not had a problem. I did do the prl update.

11. Mikesnap

Mikesnap Well-Known Member

I agree

12. misticjeff

misticjeff Well-Known Member

I'm happy to report that everything is working properly here in Las Vegas, Nevada. Good, strong 4G signal and all is well.

13. Eguy

Eguy Well-Known Member

And for some, pay a lot more :D.

14. h2_hummer

The 4G Settings screen has 5 Sections
    1. 4G (gives status, mine says "Obtaining IP address from Sprint"
    2. Network notification (notifies you if 4G network is available
    3. Network Provider
    4. Signal strength
    5. IP address

So I am assuming that some type of IP address does have to be assigned for 4G, since it is one of the items on the 4G Settings Screen.

How do I get to "Advance Settings"? I did not see that under the Settings App.

Thanks... C

15. h2_hummer

OK, I did find the 4G MAC address, it is under Hardware Information, under About Phone, under Settings

It does have a 4G MAC Address assigned. I also tried the PRL update, but no luck. Still waiting on Tech Services to come up with a solution.

C

16. infamousjax

infamousjax Well-Known Member

Actually, there's a chance that some of the Google I/O phones are signed with test keys, not release keys. Of course, there's no proof of this yet, but it definitely IS possible.

So who knows, maybe you still have a prototype. ;)

17. h2_hummer

Well Sprint gave up already. They said it must be something wrong with this particular phone. The worst part is they said they cannot do anything about it, until the phones are released on June 4th (because according to Tech Support, they don't have a replacement available).

So now I have to wait for the Sprint store to open on the 4th, while everyone else is in line to get a new EVO, I will be there, trying to get mine fixed/replaced.

:-(

C

18. cesjr02

cesjr02 Well-Known Member

Phone still functions with 3G and wifi correct? Now you'll just have to use your phone as poor saps like me who don't live in a 4G area. :eek:

19. robertdahlgren

robertdahlgren Active Member

Just fyi, my 4G works fine after I got a new phone number assigned to the google I/o evo. The process took about 30 minutes to complete with a rep on the phone. Just in case you haven't, try disabling wi-fi if you are in range of an open network when enabling the 4G to force the phone onto the 4G connection.

I did not test out 4G with the original number since there was no 4G coverage in SFO. I received the first collections agency call for the previous owner of the phone-number 10 minutes after activating it and sitting in a session at I/O, hence the change to a new number later that day.

20. h2_hummer

Well I don't know if I am happy or sad, but finally, atleast one other person is having the same problem I am having with trying to connect to a 4G network with my EVO.

Good and EVO: Sprint employees can't get HTC EVO 4G until July or later

This person is getting the same "Obtaining IP Address from Sprint" message that mine hangs on, when trying to connect to 4G network.

Has anyone else seen this yet? Know how to fix it? Sprint gave up.

C

21. infamousjax

Sprint told me today that the I/O phones were going to have some bugs because they wern't finalized yet or something... but the ones coming out on the 4th are.

guess we'll find out

22. h2_hummer

Sprint told me the exact opposite. They said the phones that they gave away at Google, were identical to what would be at retailers on the 4th.
    Same software level, same hardware, everything.

23. infamousjax

well that's Sprint for ya :)

24. spridell

spridell Well-Known Member

I highly doubt that Sprint or HTC would give out 5,000 units that werent finalized.

That would be suicide for Sprint and HTC.

25. jobryan26

jobryan26 Member

Maybe the 4G issue is another bug that was corrected at the same time the sd card was also corrected. This would explain why some are having issues while others are not.

This was posted on Facebook early late last night:
    "Robert Becher hey everyone i think they fixed problem with the card on phone
    I contacted sprint about this problem tonight, they told me they knew about it already. Sprint said the only phones that have this problem are the ones that google gave to their employees and to the reviewers. It was a software issue,apparently the issue w...as only with the first 2,000 phones google gave out. With the phones being released on June 4th, the software issue is resolved. I am switching form the Crap pre to the HTC Evo 4G, and I am glad to now be a part of Android Forums. Thanks guys and have a good night."
    HTC EVO | Facebook