4G/SD Card Update (4G rolls out 9/29/11)

Last Updated:

  1. grimreaver

    grimreaver New Member

    I was at Verizon yesterday and while I was waiting read their spring/summer advertisement magazine and it still says the 4G upgrade will be in spring 2011 - which means they have about a month. :rolleyes: Problem is customers are still being told this. :mad:

  2. kennychaffin

    kennychaffin Well-Known Member

  3. mjf1

    mjf1 Well-Known Member

  4. F22_RaptoR

    F22_RaptoR Active Member

  5. 3devious

    3devious Well-Known Member

    We'll see. Things are a bit ambiguous: http://supportforums.motorola.com/message/384377#384377 suggests that this may be a load of crap but part of the discussion speculates that this is still tied to the LTE upgrade which would hint that international and Wi-Fi customers may get it sooner or later than U.S. 3g customers. Who knows?
  6. F22_RaptoR

    F22_RaptoR Active Member

    Yep, looks about as clear as mud!

    Im more interested in the Otterbox right now anyways, I have one on Pre-order so HOPEFULLY by the end of the month they'll get shipped out. (not holding my breath tho :p )
  7. SeeEss

    SeeEss Member

    Are you saying the Zoom, Wi-Fi already can use the SD card?
  8. zetroc

    zetroc Well-Known Member

    So if the rumors about the Bionic being delayed because NVIDIA's Tegra 2 wasn't playing nice with Verizon's LTE, then does this mean XOOM owners are out of luck with this promised, yet apparently unattainable 4G/LTE upgrade?
  9. Martimus

    Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

    In a long and frustrating holding pattern... yes! Out of luck? Hopefully not!

    Verizon and Motorola would both get publically raked over the coals ever worse than they already have if they don't eventually deliver the 4G/LTE update. And their lawyers would be fighting a painful (and expensive) class action suit over the debacle.

    My guess is that this explains why the update is still not available. They've been fighting to figure out a work-around to the problem. For all we know Google may also be involved in the development of a fix so three different companies would have to approve the fix before it's finally released.
    jcash3 likes this.
  10. jcash3

    jcash3 Well-Known Member

    It would be nice if we could at least get a little information from Verizon or Moto about what is going on with the feature updates. I've had this tablet for over 4 months and am starting to run out of internal memory space. Maybe its time to root...
  11. ckeegan

    ckeegan Well-Known Member

    ...and they certainly wouldn't still be advertising it as "the only 4G/LTE upgradable tablet".
  12. BiGMERF

    BiGMERF Well-Known Member

    so is there sd support or not.. i see on the web people are using it? is it a root thing or is it possible now?
  13. mched

    mched Well-Known Member

    as of now...you need to be rooted.
  14. blkbeltkid17

    blkbeltkid17 Well-Known Member Contributor

    Yes you need to be rooted running a modded clockwork recovery and kernel both easy to flash. ...

    As for everyone in here who has a us 3g model why have you not rooted? The one click root at xda has a one click unroot and relock.
    Root enjoy the SD card and when the 4g update comes out just one click unroot and have 4g and maybe SD card support
    Both the root and unroot and relock have been highly tested so the risk is there but it is very very small
  15. kennychaffin

    kennychaffin Well-Known Member

    Because I don't want to potentially screw it up. See the second sentence. I also want to be running stock for development and testing.
  16. zetroc

    zetroc Well-Known Member

    For those of us who got on contract, if it is determined that the 4G/LTE upgrade isn't coming, you think Verizon will let us off contract seeing as they potentially didn't deliver? I'm ok putting on my angry customer hat.
  17. ckelly33

    ckelly33 Well-Known Member

    On-contract folks aren't alone in growing dissatisfaction. It is a growing sign of disrespect toward the guys who spend alot of money with Verizon for Big Red not to even bother to address it.
  18. Rob

    Rob I'm tellin' mommy on you! Administrator

    Now that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is going to come out before any info on a XOOM 4G upgrade, people are really starting to point fingers. I've got a note into Verizon asking for more details, but my guess is - like everyone else - there won't be much explanation:
    XOOM 4G Delay Limps Past Galaxy Tab 10.1 Launch

    Hope you like my elite photohacking skills lol:
    marctronixx likes this.
  19. blkbeltkid17

    blkbeltkid17 Well-Known Member Contributor

    haha this pic is BEAUTIFUL haha
    and i am again glad i have the wifi only model and not have to deal with all this stiff
    marctronixx likes this.
  20. marctronixx

    marctronixx Moderator Moderator

  21. 3devious

    3devious Well-Known Member

    I spoke w/ customer service at lunch yesterday and there was no info in their database about it other than it would be available in Q2.

    Poor Mike@ id#352714 I wasn't mean to him but I asked him for as much information as he had about what the deal is with this thing and when things would be acceptable. I made sure to go over everything with him (I told him that I'd call back for updates, hehe.) I figure if the support line keeps humming, they'll want to reduce that cost somehow... (I'd solve it by no longer accepting calls from Washington DC, but I am a horrible person.)
  22. 3devious

    3devious Well-Known Member

    Hi, my fellow users. I did the only thing I could do in my situation: I gave Verizon a call to see what we could work out.

    1. I explained that I felt that I was not getting the value out of my Xoom for the money I was paying for 3g data.

    2. I admitted that I was aware of the tablet's shortcommings but was willing to overlook them for a good deal on 4g data and the 3 of us (VZW, Motorola and I have a different idea of what "soon" is.)

    3. I told them that I don't feel that the contract that gives me a bad deal on 3g data is particularly fair.

    After we got past the discussions of "soon" and "4g coverage area," the customer service supervisor was willing to suspend my data service so that I don't have to pay for LTE service that they were furiously advertising yet not delivering.

    I'm not getting anything for free and am still paying a little bit of an idiot tax for buying the XOOM, but my advice to my fellow XOOM owners is to try to work with someone who understands what customer service is. There might be the side benefit of VZW kicking Motorola in the butt because their customer service has to spend time on the phone with people like me who think that 3g is OK for a phone but not a tablet.

    Sure, my buyer's remorse is much stronger than I let on to the representatives because they actually fix (sort of) the problems, they aren't the cause of them(often.)

    To add insult to injury, I just got another email from Verizon bragging about their LTE devices and having a picture of the XOOM right in the middle of it. If I were at all significant, I would feel that they were baiting me. lol
  23. BiGMERF

    BiGMERF Well-Known Member

    I guess euros are having the last laugh, where the hell is my SD update
  24. zetroc

    zetroc Well-Known Member

    So, I'm wondering if I should just cancel my data. Moto has made no concrete indication on this 4G upgrade, and as a customer I feel liked to and taken advantage of.

    Any advice on how likely it is that I will be released from my agreement given that I have yet to hear about some 4G upgrades?
  25. marctronixx

    marctronixx Moderator Moderator

    moto will not release you out of your contract.

Share This Page