• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G/SD Card Update (4G rolls out 9/29/11)

I received my Xoom on Fri after sending it off to get the 4G upgrade. It came back looking like new. It was wrapped in plastic and had the factory screen protector on. Sure enough, I confirmed that the device is in fact a different one than the one I sent out. How can I tell? Well, At home, I had it setup with a static IP on my router. When I checked configuration of the Xoom, it had a different MAC address than the original one and MAC addresses are hardware specific. So indeed, this is a new or someone else's XOOM.

Upvote 0
sounds like the new radio is a power hog

have we gotten the Honeycomb SDK coding for the xoom yet does anyone know?

Yes. This is what I was concerned about and I think I'm just going to stick with the 3G at this point....it works fine for what I do....I very rarely use the 3G (except when friggin Comcast Broadband is down and I have to use it as a hotspot!).

Upvote 0
Haven't seen any topics about this but I just opened my FedEx box today - low and behold my Xoom box was open!

Immediate frustration b/c they delayed my shipment for over a week from the order, not because of the low inventory but because it fell out of the system. Long story short I get my Xoom in today and the box is already opened.

I call customer service and the woman tells me it's a new device. I can clearly see that it had usage as the screen (thankfully still having the protector on it) showed not only fingerprints but marks as though a stylus was used. Not going to go into the back and forth between her and I but in the end I ended up hoping in my car and going to my closest VZ corp store. The rep there tells me that happens b/c the software needed to be updated before being sent to me.

Ok, I feel a little better b/c I know there was a 4G fix that needed to be done. Has anyone else gotten what looked like a used Xoom when they ordered a new one?

TL;DR - Ordered a new Xoom and got a used one. Store rep told me it needed to be upgraded before being sent to me. Has anyone else experienced this?

Upvote 0
FYI - for anyone on the fence about upgrading to 4G (like I was): I put in for the upgrade last Wednesday, received the mailer box the next day. I put off backing the Xoom up till the weekend, very sad to see my Xoom go away for possibly a week.

I mailed it off on Monday, they received it Tuesday, worked on it & shipped it Wednesday, & I received it, with dock, on Thursday- so while they say "expect to be without it for five business days", at least in my experience it was only four, and while they say docks are available while supplies last, at least as of right now supplies are lasting.

Now, where's my ICS?

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones