4G signal in NYC?General

1. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member

Can anybody in NYC speak about the places where you get a decent signal on 4G? Is it still very limited? I'm wondering if it's worth the switch at this time

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. etherguy

etherguy Active Member

Excellent 4g signal and speed in the Broadway / 42st area
  3. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member

Can you do me a favor and tell me what latency times are you seeing? Any ping utility will tell you that
  4. mdeblaz

mdeblaz Well-Known Member

you're fully covered anywhere in NYC...period. I live on the UES and work in Midtown.

latency here is 113ms
  5. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member

You see this surprises me. I just pinged 4.2.2.2, a popular DNS server and got these results

With 10 Repetitions, I get an average of 89ms with 3G. Usually my max never goes above 150ms
  6. mdeblaz

I used speedtest.net for the latency
  7. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member

Just downloaded the speedtest app from market and getting 125ms. I guess 4g is a marginal improvement but nowhere close to what Verizon is claiming which is 50% lower

What's your download/upload btw?

https://www.lte.vzw.com/AboutLTE/VerizonWirelessLTENetwork/tabid/6003/Default.aspx
    LATENCY: The user plane latency achieved in Verizon 4G LTE is approximately 1/2 (one-half) corresponding latency in existing 3G technologies. This provides a direct service advantage for highly immersive and interactive application environments, such as multiplayer gaming and rich multimedia communications..
  8. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

I'm getting 4G in all of Brooklyn, and pretty much all of Queens. Was in NYC, (dowtown) twice last week and both times had very strong 4G.

I'm seeing some crazy speeds on the SPEEDTEST.NET app

19319 kbps down & 21104 up
  9. mdeblaz

10.75Mbps down... the speedtest app is being updated to provide the correct upload speeds...
  10. milan03

milan03 VIP Member VIP Member

The whole NYC metro is covered. I'm not aware of a single area that's having 4G reception issues.
    The real latency and speeds you'll see if you USB tether your phone to your computer via Internet Connection Mode.
    See my signature.
  11. arche3

arche3 Well-Known Member

4G everywhere in nyc. 18 mbps avg. Down. 50 ms ping on average.
    Blazing.
  12. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Well-Known Member

Full coverage in NYC & 5 Boros... My job sends me all over and no problems...
  13. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member

That's the part that works best about the phone - 4G all over Manhattan.
  14. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member

does it give you a full day with 4g radio turned on and active? Not talking about crazy usage like radio on all day long but basic usage like checking email 2-3 times an hour, maybe a bit of facebook, maybe few minutes of google maps.. That kind of thing
  15. mdeblaz

Yes, it does. I've changed my charging habits as well. I now charge the phone in the morning while getting ready to leave... then when I get in to the office I'll charge it the rest of the way. The phone lasts until the next morning with about 30% charge remaining.
  16. jcnyc

jcnyc Well-Known Member

Perfect signal everywhere I've been around NYC except for my office's bathroom. hah.
  17. gvillager

gvillager Well-Known Member

I guess no toilet surfing for you. :D
  18. milan03

milan03 VIP Member VIP Member

Also tested it in queens and Brooklyn and signal is amazing ad well as the backhaul
  19. atrain311

atrain311 Well-Known Member

Ironically, I'm visiting my old roots for the first time since owning the Bolt, so I'm here on Long Island, Westbury specifically, and it is the first time I'm getting to see 4g in action. Silky smooth, but holy crap my battery is dropping by the second!
  20. Thunder22

Thunder22 Well-Known Member

I get 4G at home in NJ (all along rt3) and everywhere in NYC including UWS, midtown, UES, and Wall st area.
  21. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

The one downfall...the battery drops like a brick thrown off a building.
  22. irony

irony Member

I work in Manhattan and the 4g coverage is rock solid. Is all of nyc 4g ? Is say no, not yet. I was in staten island for the day and my thunderbolt was flipping through 4g - 3g -1X. It abused my battery like nothing I've seen before.

So I looked up the area code for where I was 10314. Sure enough no 4g. Thank god I don't live there..

So for those on the borderline 4g area I can see what their issues are.
  23. alexdell

alexdell New Member

I live in Staten Island, 10303. I'm getting 4G signal. I'll check later when I go to my parents to see if they get 4G signal (in 10314).
  24. TheDogsCar

TheDogsCar Member

I have used it throughout Greenwich Village and Soho ... the only place I can not get a 4G Signal is Washington Square Park. I blame NYU :eek:

FYI ... I get 4G in most elevators :D
  25. ProxisTech

ProxisTech Well-Known Member