• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4g speed on verizon with tethering on DROID and Flash 10 Rumor

There's no guarantee that the Verizon phone with the Snapdragon will support 4G though, plus it's going to take them time to build and complete the network so that it's actually useful in most areas. Don't get too down on yourself right now. By the time 4G is actually useful and handsets start to come out for it, it will probably be about time to upgrade your Droid anyways.

I don't think anyone needs to worry about LTE phones until well past Summer 2010. I honestly don't expect any LTE phones until the end of 2010 at the earliest. Depending on Verizon's investment and development speed, they might have some pockets of LTE coverage around the country midway into next year, but the only devices with LTE radios will be cards/USB devices for laptops and probably some netbooks with it built in. From what I've read, they haven't made any power-friendly small cell radios as of yet, so we won't see LTE phones anywhere in the world for awhile.

Upvote 0
I got my hopes up when reading the subject line and then I read the post, oh well. The only reason for me to change phones is when LTE enabled phones are released. Other than that, the likely incremental changes (including Snapdragon) aren't worthwhile enough to upgrade. I want that LTE connection for video streaming on the go on my phone and notebook.

So much for hoping Motorola pulling an Apple like when they enabled 802.11n capabilities on their older MacBooks by charging $1.99 for the firmware upgrade.

Upvote 0
So much for hoping Motorola pulling an Apple like when they enabled 802.11n capabilities on their older MacBooks by charging $1.99 for the firmware upgrade.

Except it's not something that can be changed via a firmware update. It literally needs different components to use the LTE standard, as in you need to take the phone apart and buy a LTE radio then somehow install it, all of which is semi impossible unless you have done something like this before.

Upvote 0
I'm kind of regretting getting the Droid now. I mean, now we get to miss out on 4G AND the Snapdragon processor. :(
Whats so great about snapdragon really? Who needs a 1ghz processor on a phone. the droid is already fast enough and so far i haven't seen anything really put a challenge to it. Most studering and lag is software based anways and not a fault of the hardware.

Upvote 0
Whats so great about snapdragon really? Who needs a 1ghz processor on a phone. the droid is already fast enough and so far i haven't seen anything really put a challenge to it. Most studering and lag is software based anways and not a fault of the hardware.

Nothing is "so great" about Snapdragon. Most of them are underclocked to save battery and the real world performance is not noticeably greater than that of the Droid's processor. I'm willing to bet a Snapdragon phone with 2.1 and a Droid with 2.1 next to each other would operate almost identically.

Upvote 0
Nothing is "so great" about Snapdragon. Most of them are underclocked to save battery and the real world performance is not noticeably greater than that of the Droid's processor. I'm willing to bet a Snapdragon phone with 2.1 and a Droid with 2.1 next to each other would operate almost identically.
Oh yah definately, but people are creaming themselves over this 1ghz BS. I'll give it to them, it's a good sales gimmick lol

Upvote 0
Good luck getting 4G on a 3G phone.

This. 4G takes 4G hardware. The Droid is not 4G.

Plus, who wants to tether a phone for their primary internet connection at home? Sounds like a PITA to me. I would love to have the option while traveling, but would prefer an always-on solution for the house, like cable, DSL or FIOS.

Upvote 0
Except it's not something that can be changed via a firmware update. It literally needs different components to use the LTE standard, as in you need to take the phone apart and buy a LTE radio then somehow install it, all of which is semi impossible unless you have done something like this before.

Didn't my statement already assume what you said by saying they won't be pulling an Apple?

I used the Apple analogy because they included 802.11n in their MacBooks but had it disabled. The subject line for this thread made me hope that it was a similar case but it ended up that someone got confused with what he/she heard.

Upvote 0
Didn't my statement already assume what you said by saying they won't be pulling an Apple?

I used the Apple analogy because they included 802.11n in their MacBooks but had it disabled. The subject line for this thread made me hope that it was a similar case but it ended up that someone got confused with what he/she heard.

My bad, guess I misunderstood you.

Upvote 0
Honestly, its plenty fast on the data side as far as I'm concerned, I just want to be able to talk and use data at the same time. I hope that will take care of itself in the future...
I gotta say, I would never use the browser and be on the phone at the same time. It wastes minutes when you could just call the person back. Obviously there are extenuating circumstances, but I really haven't come across a moment when I absolutely needed to do both at the same time.

Oh, and on a side note, concerning Sprint.
Sprint claims to have the fastest network, which may or may not be true. Unfortunately, I had Sprint for 3 years and just switched to Verizon when I purchased the droid. Sprint was TERRIBLE in terms of reliability. Not just my house either, places that were listed on their coverage map to have the best signal. The connection constantly dropped off, so I had to reload the browser on my phone (multiple phones, Palm centro, Moto Q), reset data connections, reset PDAnet.

So yes, Sprint may be faster, but like AT&T, it's spotty coverage at best.

Upvote 0
Plus, who wants to tether a phone for their primary internet connection at home? Sounds like a PITA to me. I would love to have the option while traveling, but would prefer an always-on solution for the house, like cable, DSL or FIOS.

Some people may want to use "tethering", via a cellular router, as a "redundant circuit"...especially if they work from home. It would be cheaper than FIOS + Comcast.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones