• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4g speeds! Nice!

I'm at a hotel in Glendale, CA right around the Hollywood area.

I've had the HTC EVO from Sprint for a while and this is the first time I've gotten a 4G signal.

I have full bars on my signal for phone; I only have 1 bar on my 4G signal and these are the speeds I tested at:

I torrented the movie "Stepbrothers" in under 2 hours 750MB.

Now Sprint just needs 4G signal EVERYWHERE!!!

-Mark

Reactions: drexappeal
My Coworkers get that on 3G Verizon. I however get a monstrous 900Kbps

Like I said, I only had one bar of 4G out of 3... I'm sure once they have their network in more areas I'll be making speeds up there.

That's monstrous though man!

I'm happy with these speeds but that would be amazing.

Sprint needs to get on the ball! I'm rooted so I'm not paying their 30 bucks a month for hotspot needs. I'm paying the 10 bucks for 4G bandwidth so I wanna use that to it's full potential.

Upvote 0
My Tmobile 3G speeds were as high as 3mbps.

This is my Sprint 4G, the last two were from this morning.

speed.png

Upvote 0
4g isnt all that. I dont ever see any difference when i have it on. I'm in Baltimore and can get full bars, but when i go on the internet, pages still load about the same speed and some times the green bar at the tops scrolls all the way over to the "x" and just stays there for a while before it actually loads up the page.

Upvote 0
4g is nice when I get it and I noticed the more bars the less battery it uses. I thought 4g in general will run your battery no matter what.

Its just like any other phone radio, if its constantly searching it will die. That happened with my old analog phone if I forgot to turn it off when going to the lake.

Sucks for the OP about those poor speeds but I guess with degraded signal you can only expect so much. I tend to fare better:

bandwidth.jpg

Unfortunately it does slow down a hair when using wireless hot spot for some reason but its still serviceable:
wireless%20tether.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm at a hotel in Glendale, CA right around the Hollywood area.

I've had the HTC EVO from Sprint for a while and this is the first time I've gotten a 4G signal.

I have full bars on my signal for phone; I only have 1 bar on my 4G signal and these are the speeds I tested at:

I torrented the movie "Stepbrothers" in under 2 hours 750MB.

Now Sprint just needs 4G signal EVERYWHERE!!!

-Mark

This is terrible lol....

24gw0a9.png

This taken standing right outside of my door... I get 6-8ish inside.

Upvote 0
4g has been great for me using the epic. I average 4-6mbps in my room and 5-7mbps outside. My top speed ever hit thus far was 8mbps. I usually have a strong 4g connection where ever I hey it here in baltimore. I haven't hardy been forced to use 3g because I get it everywhere I go in baltimore. Battery life is decent with 4g on all day. The 4g toggle on the pull down notification bar is sweet as well. Bring on wimax 2 lol

Upvote 0
Your wimax connection will not do much more then 6mbps, it is designed that way. At 10 mbps, your battery would drain in about 20 mins.

Anything above 10mbps, has to be an error. Please do not use any app to test speed, instead download and actual file for your speed test.

Some apps test do not correctly gauge your connection speed because a 100kb file download in 1/10 of a second rounded to the nearest 5 second mark is as accurate as pointing to a seagull and screaming dinosaur.

Which is like some software customer service, in which it is 100% accurate but completely useless.

Upvote 0
A bit off topic, but would a fixed WiMax/LTE have the same limitations or is the 6mbps cap a function of battery capacity which wouldn't apply to a non-mobile connection ?

Its a artificial cap placed on mobile devices.

LTE mobile devices will have this same limitation.

Typically base units will see better speeds on a fixed unit for LTE or Wimax.

Reactions: OutofDate1980
Upvote 0
Your wimax connection will not do much more then 6mbps, it is designed that way. At 10 mbps, your battery would drain in about 20 mins.

You know River, I've liked you all along, but it has always disturbed me that you've made this weird correlation to throughput speeds and battery life. Please point out any basis you have for correlating 10Mbps to 20 mins battery life.

Upvote 0
So I got a chance to do a little 4G testing this week, not extensive. I was in St Louis. The initial test showed some insane 9Mbps+ speeds, then after that they seemed all over the place. What I eventually found was that when using the Speedtest app, most of the servers just aren't up to it. I had to select the Springfield, MO server (which is my normal nearest, explaining the fast initial test). Once I manually selected the Springfield, MO server, I consistently got 9 to nearly 10Mbps DL and 1Mbps UL speeds. I tried a number of the other servers and wasn't able to find another consistently up to the challenge.

So I'm beginning to think that the bias against using the speedtest app for testing is well founded, even though it's not necessarily the app itself that is the issue, but rather the servers it is testing against. Maybe the test servers know it's a mobile test and aren't allocating that much bandwidth to it, even?

Thoroughly impressed with the capability of 4G, though.

Upvote 0
You know River, I've liked you all along, but it has always disturbed me that you've made this weird correlation to throughput speeds and battery life. Please point out any basis you have for correlating 10Mbps to 20 mins battery life.

That is easy. I hooked the htc evo to a base station. Forced a 10mbps connection and ran the battery out in about 20 mins, streaming movies, browsing the internet, and downloading files, all at the same time.

It is how I know about the battery issue, it is also how I know about the 6mbps cap. It happens to every radio cell/usb/pci. Wimax, being a higher signal frequency, is better on battery life the lte but once again not by much. Lte is a lot worst on batteries. But it is also still very new, just like wimax.

So, you can do the test too. Very easy. Top the battery off on the phone. Connection to 4g connection with all the other radios on, you know real world connections. Find something that has a good open bandwidth and download a file from the internet to your phone (or tether it to the pc) and see what it does.

You will see a lot of things happen during this test. 1.) Your phone will kick down to about 6mbps and the sucking sound is your battery.

Reactions: OutofDate1980
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones