1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

4G speeds not good at all.Support

1. caryrae73

caryrae73 Well-Known Member

The Note is my first 4G phone and my speeds don't seem very fast at all. On the AT&T map it shows I am in a 4G area but not a 4G lte city yet, live near Twin Cities. My phone has the 4G symbol on top with 3 signal bars and the last speed test I did was 1.9mb down and 1.17 up. Does this seem normal because I remember getting faster speeds with my iPhone 4 on 3G?

Advertisement
    :
  2. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I was just looking at the manual and it didn't show that there is a 3G icon in the notification bar at all, which makes me think that some people might be using 3G and are being told that it's 4G (making some assume that it's hspa+). Edge however does have it's own icon for the notification bar. So it's possible that it's not connected to 4G technically.
  3. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

If this is the same as the skyrocket....which is probably is..the 4G means HSPA+

4G with a little LTE will show up when you are in an LTE area
  4. Jahmakan

Jahmakan Well-Known Member

What everyone else said... unless you see "4GLTE", you're still on HSPA/UMTS so your speeds may be average to poor.
  5. caryrae73

Yeah my 4G area is HSPA+ that's why I don't know why my speeds are slow. Even on 3G I had faster speeds then 1.9 down.
  6. bubbameat

bubbameat Well-Known Member

Yeah, they may have not updated your area with LTE or not enough infrastructure to support the amount of LTE users in your area.

I'm getting 7-9 Mb down. I've turned off my wifi at least for the weekend to save battery. Speedy fast.
  7. Fred G. Vader

Fred G. Vader Well-Known Member

I'm in Phoenix and the 4g lte performance has been great. It's faster than wifi! I've been very impressed with the network so far. Hope it doesn't get bogged down as more people come online.
  8. sean76

sean76 Well-Known Member

4G LTE is lite years faster then HSPA+..
    As someone said earlier , you may see poor speeds if your not in an area lit up by LTE.
  9. SAberDroid

SAberDroid Well-Known Member

I read in another post that a person had a power save feature enabled on his Note and that caused it to slow down immensely. Maybe that is the case here? Even if its not LTE it still should not be getting that slow of speeds since the person said they are in a H+ enabled area. I get faster speeds on my Atrix on H+.
  10. caryrae73

Do you remember what they did or where the post is?
  11. SAberDroid

SAberDroid Well-Known Member

12. caryrae73

I looked and my power saving mode is off until it gets to 30% or less battery power. Not sure if this means anything but looking under settings, wireless and network, mobile networks, then network operators, I see a grayed out default setup select the default setup button. Should I be able to press that button because the manual says:

Network Operators
    Using this feature you can view the current network connection.
    You can also scan and select a network operator manually, or set
    the network selection to Automatic.
  13. diaper84

diaper84 Well-Known Member

If you just did sim swap, make sure you call them and let them know you have switched to lte/hspa device. I wasnt getting lte on my skyrocket because lte wasnt activated.in my account.
  14. caryrae73

They gave me a new sim card in the phone when it was delivered, I had an iPhone 4 which had smaller sim card. Guess I will have to call them tomorrow to see if maybe for some reason they didn't activate it.
  15. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

As a technology, not entirely true...given that 42Mbps HSPA+ is in production, and spec'd for 84Mbps and 168Mbps.
  16. SeargentTDI

SeargentTDI New Member

4G LTE is not full speed yet. This summer the full 4G speeds will be unleashed on the AT&T network (at least in the Philadelpia area). Right now you can only get full 4G through Verizon and a few select cities on the AT&T network, like Chicago.

The current 4G speed is stuck at only 2x 3G or less. 4G speed should be 10x 3G.
  17. tryck02

tryck02 Active Member

I have noticed slower data speeds as well.I just traded in my skyrocket that i had for 2weeks.I am a new ATT customer coming from big V.On the skyrocket,it most always showed 4g.I am not in a 4g area so i get the H+.I have noticed the Note frequently drops to E.Hoping it is a fluke because i love this phone and could never go back to a small screen.My speeds still smoke Verizon,which was like being stuck in molasses compared to ATT.So i am testing in the same area under the same conditions and am noticing a difference between the 2 phones.
  18. donmb80

donmb80 New Member

I'm in the south burbs of Chicago and hit 22435kbps down and 8640kbps up last night but I average10 to 15mbps but 6-7 on h+, just sucks because I am just out of the lte area by a couple miles
  19. radamsk1

radamsk1 Member

4G-HSPA+ and -LTE speeds are quite area dependent, however most people who are in an LTE region have had great speeds, at least on average to other providers. I've had excellent HSPA+ speeds in my area on Long Island, gonna test it tomorrow in the dense NYC 4G-LTE area. Let's hope for good results, I'll post my report when I get the data.
  20. tryck02

tryck02 Active Member

Yea i pretty much suspect speeds are affected by area.My situation is that,using my previous phone,skyrocket and now using the Note, in the same area,under same conditions,my speeds have been slower and signal drops to Edge alot compared to Skyrocket which rarely went to Edge.
  21. Speegle

Speegle Member

I'm in Dallas and getting around 25Mbps down.
  22. almarsh78

almarsh78 Member

Here in Miami FL I got 8626kbps down, which is on regular hspa+

The download speeds I am getting on this phone are much better than the last 2 4g phones I had, the HTC Inspire and LG Thrill, which typically gave me 3-5mbps at best.

So needless to say I am more than happy with the speeds so far...can't wait for lte here!
  23. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Can anyone in the NYC area report back on the speeds they are getting with the Note.

Thanks

TS
  24. SuzukiDuki

SuzukiDuki Member

Speeds here in Dallas have been quite impressive on LTE.

[​IMG]
  25. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

thats kinda slow for the DFW area

I get around 50MBPS around downtown fort worth