4g speeds

Last Updated:

1. junebogey

junebogey Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

what kind of 4g speeds do u guys get im tryin to post pics of mine dont know how got 11mb down 1mb up

Advertisement
  2. ericshmerick

ericshmerick Well-Known Member

I don't know. 4G is offered in SLC, but doesn't penetrate my house.

3G works fine, enjoy your ten bucks Sprint.

3. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

since when did the 10buck have anything to do with 4G?

4. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

I used 4G in Las Vegas and only saw a max of 1.5 down and around 500k up. I was less than impressed for my first taste of 4G.

5. AsItLies

AsItLies Well-Known Member

Have it where I live and have seen speeds vary down (from 3 and 4 to as high as 7, 8), always 1mbps up.

seriously considering doing away with road runner cable and just tethering with the phone, those speeds are more then enough for most of what I do.

6. icereignblack

icereignblack Active Member

Hey Ben, Isnt the 10 bucks a charge that we are paying for this phone because it has access to the sprint 4g network? What other reason is there to be charge 10 bucks for this phone and the other 4g capable phone, the Epic, if it is not for the 4g?

7. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

They call it a 'premium data fee' and it just so happens that the 4G phones get this fee.

I call it the Evo tax and got over it even though we all well know that any other Android phone can/will consume just as much data.

8. MonkeyBoy2000

MonkeyBoy2000 Well-Known Member

I ran a test at the 4G tower here in Austin, Texas.
    80 - 100 feet from the tower gave an average speed of 2.90 Mbps download and 0.06 upload. I tested at two other towers with the same results.
    This was done over a ten minute timespan taking tests every two minutes using the FCC app.
    I have an occasional jolt of fast speed ( over 7Mbps ) but it lasts for only a few moments and then drops down to a super slow 3G, and then cuts out signal entirely.
    I am in the center of three 4G towers where I live.

Sprint in well aware of the problem.

9. MonkeyBoy2000

MonkeyBoy2000 Well-Known Member

I have tested my coworkers phones ( an iPhoney and a T-Mobile flavored Galaxy S phone.
    Despite being in a metal building which cuts signal, they were both able to get speeds using the Speedtest app which averaged three to four times as fast as my phone on 4G - and there is a 4G tower less than half a mile away.
    What had me thinking of ditching Sprint was that the Galaxy phone had a high reading of over 7Mbps - and this is ... 3G ???
    ( My reading at the time was 166 Kbps )

For those of you that get good 4G signal, is this just a jolt of good signal and then the rest of the time you have super slow 3G ?

10. MisterB

MisterB Well-Known Member

I am really starting to resent 4g. I only get about 500k up and down, and of course almost nothing indoors. I pay $10 plus the $30 tethering fee, and I originally did so because I wanted 4g speeds. Seriously, I can't count on 4g, and I'm in an official area.

11. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

What kind of speed do you get when you are coming home from work?

You wimax speed will vary with traffic and interference.

12. cletusaz

cletusaz Member

tmobiles "4g speeds" not bad at all and no $10 charge for it :)
    [​IMG]

13. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

lol. Ok, do me a favor, try that with a real file now. Go and download a real file. The speed test is giving you a 10kb file, you are hitting a high burst of speed for like .25 of a second. You need to test it with a real file. And it is good speed when no one is using it. But once you get two people on the same tower your speed will drop down to about 3mbps. Then down to 1.7mbps with more then 4 people. Congratz you have been lied to and you believed it.