4g to 3g question

Last Updated:

1. jjon729

jjon729 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone, these forums have been a great source of information, so thanks to everyone for that! I hope you won't mind a stupid non-tech-savvy question..

What will happen if you are driving from a 4g area to a 3g one? Will you drop the call/cancel a download? Will a message pop up that you'd have to respond to? Ideally, the Evo will be able to switch to the slower network without any interruption, but I just hope that will be the case.

Similarly, what if you go from 3g to 4g? Will the phone automatically choose the faster newtork when it detects it, or will you have to affirmatively select it?

Sorry... I warned you I had some stupid questions!

Advertisement
  2. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

Good questions, don't worry.

I wish I could tell you a solid answer, but I can't. What I do know is that you can enable and disable 4G, and the phone can automatically detect 4G and switch to it. I would assume (and hope!) that it will automatically switch to 3G if needed, but I'm not entirely sure.

Now, you may ask "why would I want to disable 4G?" I would assume this would be a good thing to do when you know you don't have a 4G signal and it would save some battery life.

jjon729 likes this.
  3. JustFrozen

JustFrozen Well-Known Member

I have heard a sprint rep talk about the automatic switching. It will seamlessly switch between the two, unless you turn the 4G option off.

jjon729 likes this.
  4. jjon729

jjon729 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the quick responses. I was hoping that there'd be automatic detection/switching between networks, but I'm glad to hear it isn't just my blind excitement about the Evo!

5. wodin6

wodin6 Well-Known Member

isn't the data separate from the voice over Sprint's 4G? They haven't said for sure if we will be able to browse while talking, but I still thought they were separate. If that's the case, voice should never be interrupted. Can anyone verify this?

6. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

first you need to realize all the bands that are in the EVO

fist you have your voice connection. all calls are made using this standard signal. it is seperate from 3g and 4g so we will just call this "voice line" as long as you have a "voice line" signal, your 4g connection as well as switching between 4g and 3g, will not affect calls what so ever. you can switch between the two a thousands times while on a call and NEVER know it. this also applies for text's as text's are also sent over the "voice line"

the next is 3g, this is the band that is currently used for phones to get data and talk to the internet. if you've ever been in a 3g area and surfing the net on your phone in anyway and you leave that area, you may notice that your connection just stops. this does not affect your ability to make calls though, that only matters on whether or not you are in a "voice line" area.

your 4g connection should be similar to the 3g, it won't affect calling and ideally should only make things faster, and when you leave 4g it will seamlessly switch to 3g without you noticing (besides the drop in speed that is) and when you enter a 4g area (if you have 4g connection turned on) it will automatically join that connection and you will notice the speed improvement immediately. nothing is verified as of now but this is the most logical way it would work and this is how the networks have always worked ever since there have been more than one signal... voice-2g-"2g plus"-3g-now 4g

it's really just another connection tier, nothing new if you look at it that way

jjon729 likes this.