4G vs Wifi?General

1. budfox66

budfox66 Well-Known Member

How can I tell if my 4g connection might be faster than my wifi? At work I have a slow DSL (2.0), and strong full 4G. If my 4G is faster then I don't need slow down my router at work, right? How can I compare bandwidth speed from each connection source?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Install the free app ... Speed Test ... from Play Store and try it at both locations.

I suggest running at least three tests and then average the results.

... Thom
  3. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

I second that advice.
  4. PowrDroid

PowrDroid Well-Known Member

Using SpeedTest I've found the I usually have a much higher connection speed with 4G than wifi. My wifi is via Comcast and I regularly get speeds of 20 MB/s on my phone using wifi. 4G can usually beat that.
  5. budfox66

Wow, I get 2930kbps with wifi and 44546kbps with 4G! Damn that's fast!! U/L speed difference is even more.
  6. TheByteSmasher

TheByteSmasher Well-Known Member

If you have a strong Wi-Fi signal though, you'll lose less battery than on cellular
  7. budfox66

Using smartactions and wifi at home and work, my last screenshot of batt usage shows 16% discharging after 2d,9h,53m,55s. I usually get 2 full days of use w/o charging (not a power user). I'll post back with a general observ on this using no wifi.
  8. budfox66

My last test was 1d, 14h, 39m, 22s without using the wifi, 4G only. So yes, there is a significant drain on the batt by not going wifi.
  9. pegs520

pegs520 Well-Known Member

Be careful if you don't have unlimited.

Speed test could eat up a lot of mb if you use it too much.
    Thom likes this.
  10. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

Yes ... run it 100 times and watch your usage go through the roof. (I waited year and a half for 4G to hit my office and I ran speed test a lot to see what 4G would stabilize to.)

... Thom
  11. Harold1980

Harold1980 Member

Not sure as to the answer to that, all I can tell you is your 4g will dust your wi-fi. I have wi-fi at work to but never turn mine on because of my good 4g signal..
  12. budfox66

I've averaged a slight increase in batt usage on 4g v wifi, but no noticeable change in data usage...
  13. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

I also don't see any difference on battery drain between 4G, WiFi. I think the LTE radio integrated in S4 chip is very efficient. If the 4G signal is good, it seems even better than WiFi on battery drain.

I simply keep WiFi radio on at all times to minimize data usage as I lost unlimited with verizon. When I get to home/work, it connects with WiFi and 3G/4G radio is disabled automatically.
  14. seVer

seVer Well-Known Member

wifi > 4g when it comes to battery life. you have to take into account load balancing on the cellular network. if you're bumped off the closest tower because it's not as strong as one further away... if your signal fluctuates (not the bars, but the actual signal if you check it) significantly throughout the day... if if if. so many reasons why cellular data could use more battery.

I get GREAT signal pretty much anywhere I go in my area. I'm not a heavy user, but the best I can *usually* get on 4g is day 1 morning to day 2 night. on wifi, I can easily get 2days with my normal usage. my best battery time was 2d 16h with 11% remaining. I was at home on wifi for probably 90% of that.