• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4g wimax end date

Case in point, got a replacement Evo the other day, was still attached to another account, to reprogram it the csr wanted me to use the dialer code ##virgin# to try to reset the data, as I explained to him, that's for non WiMAX phones, for WiMAX it's ##clear#, Clear being the WiMAX service provider. Go figure. :rolleyes:
OB

Upvote 0
I don't mind the quality of service (for the most part), i get good 4g and ok 3g but calling customer service is a waste of time. IMHO these phones are disposable. If you have an issue you can't solve yourself, you either get a new phone or change companies. Trying to work it out with Boost CS is a waste of time. Every time i have called it was a worthless call. Last time ended up just fixing it myself by going though the automatic authorization process again and if the phone itself gives me issues i just reflash the software on it again. It is truly a self service company...

Upvote 0
I wouldn't quite say the phone is disposable. I sure would want to be dropping 300 dollars on getting a new phone because something started acting up. Boost Customer service has always been quite good to me (maybe because I have been a customer for a very long time). Although I don't use them for technical assistance, they have helped when I have had an account issue, or other problem that I have identified as being on the companies side.

Upvote 0
My boss was told today by our regional that some towers in our area are about to go live, and that some will be 4G. That I should be able to ride around town and see where they are with my S2. My 4G was turning itself on this past weekend when I was out and about. I just thought my phone was being goofy. Could it be new Wimax towers? Or is this just another lie from the higher ups?:thinking:

Upvote 0
All of the Nextel towers are being decommissioned (Final date 06/30). They are turning those into multi-band towers which will emit 3G and 4G signals. Unfortunately those 4G signals will be that of LTE, Not of WiMAX. I wish they'd tell me different, there are some decent devices that had WiMAX I'd love to sell here at a lower affordable price.

Upvote 0
All of the Nextel towers are being decommissioned (Final date 06/30). They are turning those into multi-band towers which will emit 3G and 4G signals. Unfortunately those 4G signals will be that of LTE, Not of WiMAX. I wish they'd tell me different, there are some decent devices that had WiMAX I'd love to sell here at a lower affordable price.

While I am disappointed in the overall WiMAX (slight signal outside but not inside my home), I am happy in any overall improvements to the Sprint network.

Even without WiMAX my SGS2 does everything I want and upgrading LTE makes my next phone purchase all the sweeter. I see an upside to having an established LTE network in place before forking out the cash on my next phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones