• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4th generation Nexus Speculation Thread

News and rumor... if this is true would that mean no Verizon version?

Google Nexus phone with Android 4.2 rumoured to arrive in October - News - Trusted Reviews

"The next Nexus flagship phone is also expected to ship unlocked rather than be tied to a mobile carrier network so, despite the short timescale, it could still feasibly go on sale through the Google Play store (in selected territories) before Christmas, if these rumours are correct.

LG is said to be the supplier for the new phone, based on the Optimus G with a few changes."

Upvote 0
The rumour a couple of months back was that LG, Samsung & Sony would each be making one.

It is overdue to be someone other than Sammy, but while LG specs look nice my only experience with them was a few years back when a lot of my daughter's friends got LG dumbphones, and the quality was hopeless. I hope they are doing a better job with smartphones.

Upvote 0
Well unless Google have had a change of heart I'd put the chances of hardware buttons slightly below those of an sd card slot. I seriously hope that they are wrong about the amount of internal storage in this rumour!

Couldnt agree more about internal storage rumor, i love my 32GB GNex, it is so awesome! i will never run out of space, i always hated dealing with an SD card just because i had 2 places to save stuff, making it a hassle.

And honestly, i love the on screen buttons, it makes the phone look so clean :)

Upvote 0
Hmm not sure how having 2 places to store stuff makes it a hassle - you have internal storage, and external Sd storage, seems pretty easy to me.

When your phone isn't rooted and some apps default to SD card and internal storage, and android confuses the naming of the 2 so you can't find things is confusing.

I just find it more of a hassle to have 2 separate places to save things, the only thing i liked an SD card for was to put all of my music on it.

I guess it was blamed on my first Incredible since i had like 1GB of internal storage and 8GB SD, things would always default on internal and always had issues of not enough space.

Upvote 0
When your phone isn't rooted and some apps default to SD card and internal storage, and android confuses the naming of the 2 so you can't find things is confusing.

I just find it more of a hassle to have 2 separate places to save things, the only thing i liked an SD card for was to put all of my music on it.

I guess it was blamed on my first Incredible since i had like 1GB of internal storage and 8GB SD, things would always default on internal and always had issues of not enough space.
I am paranoid about internal storage.

When my Evo 3D suffered a black screen of death (a known issue on Evo 3D), I had to do a factory reset and it wiped out all of my cool 3D photos and videos that were stored in the internal storage by default.

Now I always use external SD card storage to store my media, in case the phone has a catastrophic malfunction, gets dropped in water, etc etc. If it's in internal storage, kiss it good bye.

The relative minor "hassle" of having an additional place to store my media is far outweight by the opportunity of having my data easily accessible even if the device were to take a dump.

Using tools like any of the plethra of the file explorers available on the Play Store you can easily understand the structure of the folders and know where things go.

This is a complaint for me on the PC side of things too, when too many people give me blank stares when I ask them where their data is store on the PC. You should know where your files are, it's pretty easy to find out and keep track of it.

Upvote 0
I have a 32GB sd card, and have used about 27GB. The GSM GNex only comes in 16GB size, and whatever Google execs may think cloud storage is no answer at all for many people. So this is the main thing that concerns me about future Nexii - Google's apparent belief that you need neither expansion nor decent on-device storage (and the N7 suggests they still think that way).

So for me 32GB is the absolute minimum, 48-64GB preferred. Less than that and I'm out, no matter how good the rest of the package is.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
On my current Gnex, I have had the sincere need to remove the battery on a few occasions (due to root activities) in order to get back up and running. What do you do with a "sealed, non removable battery" then?

And 8/16 GB internal only...huge fail. Monumental fail. Hopefully that part was wrong. I don't care who this leak came from, I'm not calling it gospel just yet.

Upvote 0
Going to drop this here. A whole load of info.....

Big Rumours!

As for all the SD card/battery stuff, my 2p worth of opinion is that I don't personally mind. SD cards are old hat for me, but I would like to have a 32gb option, as 16 is restrictive to me. As for changing battery, the only time I pull out my battery is for a hard reset. I of course understand the need for both for some people but for me I have no issues.

I am intrigued with a Sony Nexus. I currently have a GNex, my first Android after having iPhone for years, right up to the iPhone 4. I love Android now, and will never go back, and love my phone, but feel it is starting to age a little. She seems a little slow no compared to other Androids I have used recently like the GS3 etc, which obviously makes sense but fills me with gadget envy. Roll on the Nexus!

Also, Project Roadrunner sounds sweet, maybe we won't need spare batteries!;)

PS: I want this thread to be as epic as LAST YEARS crazy Nexus thread. Man that was a wild ride. Broke my F5 key!

PPS: For THIS LINK!

Upvote 0
I guess I don't understand why they would put the most bad ass CPU/GPU along with 2 Gibbs of RAM, and cripple it with 8/16gee bees of storage space..

If it's a cost saving measure, it still doesn't add up as cheap as storage space is now-a-days. I'm holding out hope for 32gb and hopefully available on VZW.

Last one is a long shot I know..

Spose I should add, that yeah, cloud storage is great, but why push HD screens and incredibly powerful CPU's if you don't have the space to store movies and games. Granted I'm not too big into games, but who knows with the S4 Pro maybe I'd play some more, and at 2+gb for some of these games, how far does Google expect you to get with 8/16gb?

As much as I hate to make this observation, the iPhone has cloud storage, but Apple will sell you a 64gb phone if you want one.

Upvote 0
I am paranoid about internal storage.

When my Evo 3D suffered a black screen of death (a known issue on Evo 3D), I had to do a factory reset and it wiped out all of my cool 3D photos and videos that were stored in the internal storage by default.

Now I always use external SD card storage to store my media, in case the phone has a catastrophic malfunction, gets dropped in water, etc etc. If it's in internal storage, kiss it good bye.

The relative minor "hassle" of having an additional place to store my media is far outweight by the opportunity of having my data easily accessible even if the device were to take a dump.

Using tools like any of the plethra of the file explorers available on the Play Store you can easily understand the structure of the folders and know where things go.

This is a complaint for me on the PC side of things too, when too many people give me blank stares when I ask them where their data is store on the PC. You should know where your files are, it's pretty easy to find out and keep track of it.

I had an sdcard fail on me and I lost everything, so I don't think it makes a difference. Consequently, I prefer internal storage--it's much faster and more reliable. But things happen and phones get lost, and the only way to prevent data loss is regular backups. So, not having an sd slot really doesn't bother me, though I don't see the value of an 8gb phone either.

The non-removable battery is disappointing but if the capacity is high, then I can live with it. I'm just really hoping they're aiming for the $350 price point again, after the aggressive pricing on the N7. It's a super deal for pre-paid folks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones