• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5.0.1 Update

I know right... I'd say we're just fashionably late to the party! :cool:
I (we) knew all the new Nexus device's were gonna get the update first as they have and are more of a priority and take precedence right now, over the older Nexus line and even other devices that recieved and took the OTA's and etc... But yeah we finally made it to the Party!! :D
I haven't looked through the update, but I hear that it's more of a bug squash update than anything else. It would be nice if it does include some fine tuning though.

I haven't personally had any real issues or complaints with 5.0 (modified? yes) but still based off of factory images.
Mostly it's just been incompatible apps that I've had issues with and pairing a Bluetooth smart phone watch. I was able to resolve that issue, funny enough.. by switching to a diffent Bluetooth pairing app. :rolleyes:
Either way, always glad to have an update... There's always room for improvement!

Upvote 0
So, to flash this I just download?:p

Basically yes. You download the factory image from the link above and rhen follow jhawkkw excellent guide on flashing factory images here - http://androidforums.com/threads/gu...us-factory-image-manually.706533/#post5702530
Read through it then scroll down to the nexus 5 and just follow the same directions that are posted for the LRX210 build but use the LRX22C instead.

If your on stock completely unmodified 5.0 LRX210 then you can download the OTA and install it.

I'm not quite sure if it was old vs new because the Nexus 4 received it before we did. Though to be fair, the Mobile Data Nexus 7 tablets still haven't received the first Lollipop update let alone this new one.

Yeah that's true... Guess you really just don't know when for sure.
Look at almost every update, there's always Major buzz and chatter, anticipation and excitement!
When am I gonna get it? Am I gonna get it? Lol!! :D
Really I just figured it that way because I heard that the N6 had the majority of the bugs, so it would seem that it would get pushed to the newer devices first.

Upvote 0
Basically yes. You download the factory image from the link above and rhen follow jhawkkw excellent guide on flashing factory images here - http://androidforums.com/threads/gu...us-factory-image-manually.706533/#post5702530
Read through it then scroll down to the nexus 5 and just follow the same directions that are posted for the LRX210 build but use the LRX22C instead.

If your on stock completely unmodified 5.0 LRX210 then you can download the OTA and install it.

Yeah that's true... Guess you really just don't know when for sure.
Look at almost every update, there's always Major buzz and chatter, anticipation and excitement!
When am I gonna get it? Am I gonna get it? Lol!! :D
Really I just figured it that way because I heard that the N6 had the majority of the bugs, so it would seem that it would get pushed to the newer devices first.

I'm completely stock with 4.4.4. Which one can i download without a prolem? Thanks.:thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm completely stock with 4.4.4. Which one can i download without a prolem? Thanks.:thinking:
The factory image requires unlocking the bootloader which will wipe the device. The ota can be installed without doing that via the adb sideload option in the stock recovery. However the ota I linked to will only work if your on 5.0[emoji20] .

This means you have 3 options:
1) unlock the bootloader and live with the wipe.
2) locate the 5.0 update zip, adb sideload that, and then adb sideload the 5.0.1 ota
3) wait until a 4.4.4 to 5.0.1 ota is found or you receive it yourself.

Upvote 0
The factory image requires unlocking the bootloader which will wipe the device. The ota can be installed without doing that via the adb sideload option in the stock recovery. However the ota I linked to will only work if your on 5.0[emoji20] .

This means you have 3 options:
1) unlock the bootloader and live with the wipe.
2) locate the 5.0 update zip, adb sideload that, and then adb sideload the 5.0.1 ota
3) wait until a 4.4.4 to 5.0.1 ota is found or you receive it yourself.

O.K. Thanks. I think I'll take the third option.:p

Upvote 0
Anyone know if you can sideload or flash this with a custom kernel? Last time there were some incremental updates that didn't mess with the kernel so it was ok. If that's not the case, do I need to reflash the boot.img and stock recovery first before I sideload?
After Lollipop, you can no longer apply any OTA file directly if you have any changes to the system partition. You will need to get back to stock first. (or you can just flash the system image (without userdata) from the new system image files directly.

Reactions: Schex13
Upvote 0
I couldn't get the adb sideload to work with the ota for weird reasons. I could get the device to be picked up, but it would give an error trying to install that didn't have an error code so I couldn't research what it was. I ended up flashing the radio and system.img from the factory image, booted into twrp to wipe cache and dalvik, rebooted the device, and then re-rooted and it went smooth. I have a custom kernel, so I chose not to update the boot partition to see how it would run. Doens't seem to be any issues thus far.

Upvote 0
I couldn't get the adb sideload to work with the ota for weird reasons. I could get the device to be picked up, but it would give an error trying to install that didn't have an error code so I couldn't research what it was. I ended up flashing the radio and system.img from the factory image, booted into twrp to wipe cache and dalvik, rebooted the device, and then re-rooted and it went smooth. I have a custom kernel, so I chose not to update the boot partition to see how it would run. Doens't seem to be any issues thus far.
I suspect it was the non-stock kernel that prevented the OTA install (post Lollipop, the OTA file expects an untouched system partition)
Did you flash the new radio too?

Upvote 0
After Lollipop, you can no longer apply any OTA file directly if you have any changes to the system partition. You will need to get back to stock first. (or you can just flash the system image (without userdata) from the new system image files directly.

So flashing everything but userdata.img would revert back to stock kernel, system, recovery, and no root, but I keep my apps and data, correct?

Upvote 0
I suspect it was the non-stock kernel that prevented the OTA install (post Lollipop, the OTA file expects an untouched system partition)
Did you flash the new radio too?
Kernel isn't on the system partition, it's on the boot partition. But in either case, I was rooted with busybox installed so I didn't really expect it to succeed but wanted to try it anyway to see what would happen. I would have thought there would be an error code though thrown by the recovery or adb to really make me look like a noob. :p :(

Reactions: jj14x
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones