• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5.0 Lollipop thoughts.

can't say i'm all that pleased with it on N7 2012. lots of stutter. moreso than on 4.4.4.

also the talk that we'd be able to uninstall bloat apparently does not pertain to google's own apps.

i do very much like the interface, and i'm hoping to see some battery benefit, but too early to tell on that.

Upvote 0
can't say i'm all that pleased with it on N7 2012. lots of stutter. moreso than on 4.4.4.

also the talk that we'd be able to uninstall bloat apparently does not pertain to google's own apps.

i do very much like the interface, and i'm hoping to see some battery benefit, but too early to tell on that.
Its referring to carrier loaded bloat. You can always disable preloaded apps...

Considering its a 2.5 year old device with nand memory issues I think it runs pretty well.

Upvote 0
perhaps, but i sort of thought the evolution of android was to less resource exhausting. and maybe i was just hoping for miracles.:)

i'm not lying though in saying my even older gnex, running 4.4.4 omni, with background processes limited to 2, runs far more smoothly.

i'm gonna swipe my daughters n7 2013 this weekend and give that a whirl.

Upvote 0
It is getting the update. Official. It's already available for wifi versions only.

Developer previews were only for Nexus 7(2013) and Nexus 5. However, the final product goes out to the 4, 5, 7(12+13), and the 10. Of those, only the 7(2013) and 5 are within 18 months. So Google IS doing a better job than they did last year. I just wish they'd hurry up and give it to the 4.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
It's a gradual roll-out. They do something like 1-2% of devices in the first 24 hours, check for error reports, push out another 25% of remaining devices, repeat, and the number increases until they've covered everybody. It might take a week or two. That's how they prevent bricking everybody's device at once(iOS 8.0.1, I'm looking at you). I think the check for updates button only works once a day, per the same Google engineer that shared the rollout process.

Is your Nexus 7 a Wi-Fi model or LTE model? They're only updating the WiFi tablets at this time. The 3G/LTE models will come later, probably at the same time as the 4.

Upvote 0
If you're feeling adventurous, here are the factory images:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I just flashed the N7 2012 Wifi build. It seems like a nice improvement, so far.

It's much snappier, but how much lollipop contributed to that is debatable. Beforehand it was running a nightly cyanogen build, the dodgy NAND memory was fairly full and I had more background syncing apps installed. It was downright unusable.

a big part of my problem appears to be launchers. apex and google now launchers seem to be NOT playing nicely. the native launcher does fine.

you folks think that maybe some apps are not yet fine tuned for L?

Can't speak for apex or google now, but nova launcher seems to be coping fine.

Upvote 0
Factory images are a no go since i am out of town for a week. i was hoping i'd get time to test it out before i left.

My Nexus 7 and 10 are both wifi-only.

My concern is the Nexus 10. i've regretted that purchase since day one, since hardly any games seem 'compatible' according to Google Play, and the KitKat 'upgrade' amounted to little more than Jelly Bean with white icons up top. no ART, no GEL, no transparent bars, etc.

I am anxious to see whether or not 5.0 changes that, hoping to justify the $499 i spent.

Upvote 0
you mean that they still omitted transparency? what else? didn't some Custom ROM dev prove the myth of 'performance issues' moot long ago? You'd think Google would support their most powerful tablet by now :(

Anyone else know of anything left out of 5.0 other than that? being a 10" screen the bars being black make a lot of lost real-estate, so many apps have to 'shrink' to fit during load, making some distort. my Galaxy Note 10.1 has transparent bars, and i think is largely inferior on hardware spec or at least, the same as the Nexus 10?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones