$5.00 Homemade Dock

Last Updated:

1. Shootr

Shootr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, I admit it. I screwed up and didn't buy the dock when I walked out of the store as the first proud owner in my po-dunk little town.

But after a frustrating weekend of searching zip codes on the Verizon site to see if there were any anywhere, and raging over the a$$hole speculators trying to sell them for $60 on eBay (may you eat $$$ worth of overpriced product!!!) I decided to wander WalMart and see what I could do in the meantime until they get back in stock.

[​IMG]

1 - Plastic Picture Frame = $1.00
    1 - Low Profile Velcro Tabs = $3.00
    1 - Neo Magnets = $3.00

(Go in with a few buddies, it comes out to cheap for each when you do it in bulk)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Position the magnet so it activates the Multimedia Mode. The frame holds it tight, so don't worry about the CrazyGlue unless you're paranoid about it. Things to keep in mind: Position and polarity of the magnet - both are important.

You can easily hold up the phone and see clearly where you will need to apply the velcro tabs.

[​IMG]

Use a little alcohol to clean before applying the pads. These are LOW PROFILE, and I used the plastic ones on the phone. They will not interfere with typical pocket cases. Use the fuzzy ones on the Dock.

After applying to the phone, lightly put the fuzzy ones on top of the plastic ones on the phone, then lightly press onto the dock in the correct position. Remove the phone, leaving the fuzzy tabs stuck to the dock, and then firmly rub the tabs onto the dock surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first attempt showed that I needed to apply a second magnet on top of the first, stuck to the "phone side" of the dock. The velcro is just thick enough to allow attachment anyways, so no big deal.

And there you have it. Simple, sweet, hard to beat. If I could find my Dremel and get a charge cord with a right-angle plug, it would be a little cleaner, but I'm a happy boy now.

Enjoy.

Advertisement
    alostpacket likes this.
  2. Barbara

Barbara Well-Known Member

If you install the dockrunner app from the market can you forego the magnets or do you need those to keep the screen from going to sleep?

3. Shootr

You can set the screen in dockrunner to stay awake in "settings", I only used 40% battery last night when I did a trial run without a power cord. You are correct multimedia mode does it automatically.

4. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

I love the creativity. good job. Personally I wouldn't want to stick velcro on the bottom of my droid. but to each his own... GOOD JOB SIR>

5. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Add another $3-4 and just make a bottom rest for it to sit on, and you're good to go. Better than velcro..

6. Shootr

That was what I really wanted to do, superglue and plastic/acrylic really fuse well, but I just couldn't come up with anything, and can only take so much at WalMart if it's in the afternoon...

7. Barbara

Given a bit more time and the tools, you could cut off a piece of that plastic on the back of the frame and then glue it to the front for a ledge. It really is a great idea and thanks for taking the time to share! I've been looking for something like this but I don't need it for another six months. I have to stick with my old alarm clock until June. (Don't ask. It's too hard to explain.)

8. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

Lol I hear ya there. I may just borrow your idea , modify it a little and post my results in this thread if that is OK with you. I might add a separate charger to build into the dock. It would still be under $20 for the whole rig. Then all I need is the actual car mount drilled as per another thread on here. Live video(Qik) of driving through the local parks and scenery seems a nice idea..

Thanks for the idea!

9. Barbara

The really great thing is that with just a little modification and some velcro on the base and on your dash, you can also make a car dock.

10. Shootr

Heck I want everyone to build on it - I kept Googling hoping someone had already done something - but short of the cardboard thing I came up empty. Inspiration comes hard to me, but when it does - boy howdy!

I look forward to the improvements you all will provide, glad mine may have started something...

Thank you all for the kind words, it was fun to do.

11. droidism

droidism Well-Known Member

Nice work McGyver err......I mean Shootr! ;)

Great creativity and step by step instructions! Hopefully if your idea start circling the net you will receive due credit. Definitely a big step up from the cardboard.

12. MSU

MSU Well-Known Member

This is a great idea, but I was thinking if you know how to work wood or know someone that can do it for you it would cost you about the same or less to made a dock out of wood with a ledge and a hole or slot for the usb cable. Then just pain the wood or something. I might just do this.

Or find some thicker plexiglass or something?

13. s-one

s-one Well-Known Member

Very nice OP. Love'n all the mods man.. keep them come'n!

14. dagr8tim

dagr8tim New Member

Not to drag up an old thread, but I found it by searching.

Why not upgrade the design with a 2nd picture frame cut down. If you trimmed the 2nd one down, you could mount it "face to face" with the first one and have a ledge so that you could do away with the velcro. You could even drill a little hole and mount a usb cable in the shelf to charge the phone.

15. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

It's OK, this thread is a classic, it's very fun to read again :)

You may not see those users around anymore though, some of them havent posted in a long time :(

16. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

lol - Tim joined in Oct 2010 and made his first post over a year later - at this rate his reply will be sometime near Christmas 2012!

(j/k tim - but I wholeheartedly applaud you for searching....and for that unique idea!)

17. vey

vey Well-Known Member

This is a good post, Based upon what I read here, I made a dock.