5.1 Dolby

Last Updated:

1. jflexe99

jflexe99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering if our devices automatically use 5.1 dolby when headphones are plugged in and watching movies/videos? (It seems like it is)

I can't seem to get 5.1 to work with music. Says the effects need to be turned off, which I can't seem to figure out...

Any help? Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

Go to Menu>Settings and set both Equalizer and Effect to Normal. Then the 5.1 effect should work.

Also, the 5.1 isn't actually surround sound. It's an effect that makes headphones sound more like you're listening to surround sound. Headphones can only carry 2 channels of sound, which is by definition not 5.1 surround (5 channels plus a sub). It still sounds pretty cool, though.

And no, I think it's only available in the Music Player, not with videos.

3. bake

bake Member

Its pretty cool whatever it does.

4. jflexe99

Thank you much. I know I tried the Effects on normal, but didn't work. Ill try both tomorrow. Got a kick ass pair of headsets coming tomorrow!

Westone UM2 baby! Can't wait!!!

5. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member

If by chance you have a set of Razer Barracuda's 5.1 or Razer Megalodon's 7.1, the 5.1 virtual from the Captivate truly ROCKS! It may not be true, but with the above headphones you would never know it was virtual! By the way, the only way you can achieve this 5.1 virtual is through Headphones, it will NOT work anyother way, as it shouldn't...........

6. jflexe99

I tried my pair of tritton headphones. Sounds pretty damn good!

7. samtr87

samtr87 Well-Known Member

My headphones must not be right for this since they sound better with other settings. And if I turn the 5.1 on in the car, my ears feel like they will start to bleed lol.

8. elgo

elgo New Member

Yes, I did this today and it sounded terrible. As someone noted elsewhere (perhaps on XDA) Samsung should have termed the technology "simulated surround" or similar. 5.1 is the worst name for them to use since that specifically means six channels (5 discrete speakers and a subwoofer, which is the .1.)

I do find the effect to be enjoyable on headphones, depending on the headphones and the sound source.

9. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

The virtual 5.1 does work with videos, at least if you use the stock player.

10. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm actually considering dropping mixzing for the stock player. It really does sound much better.
    It's too bad you can't get other players to do the same thing.

11. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

If only the stock player understood the extremely-complicated and newfangled concept of a "folder". :mad:

This is probably the sole reason I'm willing to give it up, and even pay for something else... and give up the "5.1" aka "fake spacial stereo audio processing" feature.

12. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

Yeah. I can't put my stuff on random without hitting audio book tracks. I think the best way to deal with this is with playlists, but I haven't gotten around to it. e

13. ageros

ageros Active Member

Have you tried putting a .nomedia file in the audiobook folders so the media scan skips them? The audiobook player I use can add files via folder, so its fine that my music players don't auto detect those files.