5.5.886 to ICS

1. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

I'm on 5.5.886 and rooted but would like to get to ICS using the best and most direct route.

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Hi, chazz1005, and welcome to the forums.

Since we were talking via PM, let me get all that caught up here and we'll move forward.
  3. johnlgalt

OK, so here is what we discussed in PM.
  4. johnlgalt

OK, so, Chazz, are you still with AT&T? Are you using the phone on AT&T, is what I really mean to ask....

Sorry, that is what I meant when I asked what you were on - not the build, but the carrier.
  5. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

Yeah I'm still using it on AT&T. I'm hoping the process will be the same on radiocomm after I upgrade
  6. johnlgalt

It would be best to find that out before we begin - b/c of the locked bootloader, it doesn't allow going backward, and if you upgrade to ICS, you cannot go back to GB in any way, manner, fashion, or form. IOW, if you cannot flash the ICS version of the BIONIC over to AT&T via RadioComm, then you're hosed and out of a (working) phone.

Where did you find the instructions for flashing this over to AT&T?
  7. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

I first saw it on a video on youtube and then after A LOT of time on google, I was able to find the latest version of radiocomm along with the instructions. I didn't save the link but I'm sure I can find it again. There are a few bugs and the data drops sometimes but overall it works pretty well. I was thinking that the dropped data connections was connected to the connectivity problems the bionic had when it first came out. I haven't been able to find anything online regarding the connection problems the bionic has on AT&Ts network so I guess I'll just be the guinea pig
  8. johnlgalt

We'll want that link. Also, I need to verify a couple of things in it.

The connectivity issues you face may, indeed, be due to the fact that yours is still on .886. Connectivity was mostly fixed only after 5.9.902 (2 updates from your .886) but seemed ot revert a bit in .905. .246 has been amazing for me (well, I'm actually on a leaked .247, but I think I'm reverting tonight to the official myself).

As for RadioComm itself, I think I have the latest and greatest, 11.x, right?
  9. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

The one I have is 11.12.2.. it may or may not be the latest and greatest but it worked for me. Here is the link to the instructions that I followed:

Droid Bionic on AT&T or T-Mobile

I was already rooted when I found these instructions so I just started with the part on radiocomm and it worked
  10. johnlgalt

Same as I have installed. Let me watch the video and get back to you on this.
  11. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

As far as the link to radiocomm, I really don't remember where I got that one from but it took me a long time to find it. I just know that the first version I had was a really old one and I probably installed 4 or 5 different versions until I got that one I have right now
  12. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

Sounds good. Thanks man
  13. johnlgalt

Oh, holy mackerel! it's simply the disabling and enabling of GSM to make it work. My understanding is that the BIONIC (ICS) already supports that. Let me double check.
    chazz1005 likes this.
  14. johnlgalt

15. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

Aight coo.. I hope we can get this done. Thanks a lot for the help bro!
  16. johnlgalt

Lol, no worries, mayne. This is what we do here.

You're lucky in that you caught me at a time when I started coming back here - I've been on hiatus b/c I'm defending my Masters thesis in less than 2 weeks. but, since I'm about to 'downgrade' from the .247 ICS leak to the official .246 ICS release, I needed to do a bit of reading.
  17. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

Good luck with that lol. Hey was reading through that post and saw one of Lars' post on Oct 25. He said GSM works on ICS so I would just have to do the radiocomm process again. That pretty much covers our question right?
  18. johnlgalt

Yup, that is exactly what I'm trying to find out.

Actually, I can test part of it myself....hold tight.
    chazz1005 likes this.
  19. johnlgalt

Oh, for crying out loud. In the phone settings (from *#*#INFO#*#*, not under settings in Android) I can select from any of the following:

• WCDMA preferred
    • GSM only
    • WCDMA only
    • GSM auto (PRL)
    • CDMA auto (PRL)
    • CDMA only
    • EvDo only
    • GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
    • LTE/CDMA/EvDo
    • LTE/GSM/WCDMA
    • LTE/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA
    • LTE only
    • LTE/WCDMA
    • Unknown

However, the instructions in that link you posted earlier say GSM/UMTS, which is not one of the options. I think, though, that you should be able to get it working one way or another, even if it means using RadioComm again. I'm just worried that using RadioComm on this phone with ICS + the locked bootloader will brick your phone, and that is why I am hesitant to jump into anything.

Mind waiting for a day or so until one of those folks in that thread reply? I'm usually pretty gung ho about trying stuff out, but that is when it is *my* phone, not someone else's phone. I can usually fix most thing that I might do to my phone, but if I am not there physically, it's a lot harder to troubleshoot if something goes wrong....
  20. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

I'm pretty gung ho myself man so don't worry. I wanna try it out and if it ends up bricking my phone, then oh well. I do care about the phone but at the same time I think it'll work so I'm willing to risk it. Let's just go ahead with the upgrade..
  21. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

It won't be your fault and I definitely won't blame you if something goes wrong lol
  22. johnlgalt

I'd still like to err on the side of caution.

however, I can say this - you'll need the links from my signature - USB drivers (latest thus far) and RSD Lite 5.7 (Latest that works with the BIONIC). So go ahead and grab those.
  23. chazz1005

chazz1005 Member

Got em