1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

5 Android Apps You Must Check Out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. Jemster

Jemster Banned This Topic's Starter

I am really Android addictive person and specially I love to use lot's of application as I'm crazy about it. I would like to list of some 5 cool Application which must check out and I review it here:

Advertisement
    tehjiao and Caloy like this.
  2. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

+1 for you mate, that is a very interesting read, I'd probably get 2 or 3 of those apps sometime... Cheers!

3. Little Darwin

Little Darwin Well-Known Member

I now have a schwartzsaber... ;)

4. regression

regression Well-Known Member

You stated:

A huge benefit is that you can make calls over any WiFi network, which can reduce the money you spend on minutes significantly.

When I use Google Voice it does use my minutes. My phone dials a 615 area code number, thus using my minutes. Are you seeing something different when you use Google Voice? My understand was Google Vocie wasn't VOIP (at least not yet).

5. Wide_opeN

Wide_opeN Member

I too would like to know about Google Voice.

6. clobber

clobber Well-Known Member

Google Voice is not (by itself) VoIP. The trick is to get a real phone number that ties to a SIP VoIP account. When anyone calls that number from a real phone, it becomes VoIP and rings you on your computer or smart phone (using the data connection, and NOT your minutes). This is completely separate from Google Voice, unless of course you tell Google Voice that this SIP connected phone number belongs to you (just like your home or cell phone). There are many articles on this subject so I wont rehash. Just Google for "Google Voice" with "DID" and "SIP" etc. A good start is here

@regression

There are multiple ways to initiate a Google Voice call. For example, if you use the Google Voice web page, then tell it to call a number and connect it to your cell phone then it "might" not use your minutes depending on your location. In the U.S. you have to pay to recieve calls so it will still use your minutes. Another way to initiate the Google Voice call is actually dialing out as you suggested. That will use minutes for both the dialing out and the incoming call. This is currently the only way that the Google Voice official application works. I think they wanted it that way because it is more reliable (if you can't get a data connection you can still make Google Voice calls). However, if you use a different application called GV (which is really slick), it has a setting to initiate the call via your data connection and won't charge you for the outgoing.

If you put all of this together you can basically get free Google Voice calls over your data connection.

Wide_opeN, Jemster and Momsdroid like this.
  7. regression

regression Well-Known Member

Thanks, I understand the different way to initiate Google Voice calls, but the summary on the blog page seemed to suggest if you use Wifi you get free calling, ie, VOIP.

Since Google bought Gizmodo, hopefully they will have a simple VOIP solution soon.

8. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Not really what aTrackDog is about.. Its definitely does not work like the market.

9. Jemster

Yes you explain it perfect.

I would recommended Talk To Me and Google Voice both are excellent for your Android.

10. caliboy99

caliboy99 Well-Known Member

talk to me will not install. Does anyone have this problem? I have the hero running 1.5

11. Jemster

No I am using it, what problem you are getting? Can you explain it? I would happy to help you.:)

12. ccphilly1984

ccphilly1984 Well-Known Member

to use google voice for unlimited calls... you add your gv number and any access number to your calling circle.

13. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

you only get a calling circle (verizon) if you have a 900 minute or more calling plan

14. Jemster

Yes I agree with you! We only get unlimited with 900+ Min plan with us.

15. Michelcell

Michelcell New Member

Thanks for sharing cool Apps, I will try Google Voice Apps with my Phone.

16. androidrock

androidrock Member

17. Jemster

Well check Android game section to share such a game information! Here we can only discuss Android Apps.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.