5" Dell Streak Coming to AT&T

Last Updated:

1. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You guys wanted a powerful Android device, this is supposed to be it.

I can't tell if it is a tablet or phone. 5" seems really really big.

Advertisement
  2. maerlim

maerlim Well-Known Member

I think Dell called it a "screen device" at CTIA. :)

Bring on the double entendre's but 5" is just too big, I think.

3. ghostfox1

ghostfox1 Well-Known Member

I dunno. I was hoping for a good HTC, like the desire/triumph/whatever it ends up being called in NA.

4. HustlinDaily

Yeah if these cell phones get any bigger, they are going to have to carry me.

5. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

If we look at the early reviews of the EVO I have seen many say that they think the 4.3in screen is the breaking point. And I tend to agree with them. Once the phone is over that size it is not very easy to use and forget about trying to make a call without bluetooth. I really hope this is not the device that AT&T has their android plan depending on.

6. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

no, apparently the backflop is the phone that AT&T is hoping to carry the android platform for them :p

I'll believe this one when I see it as well.

7. HustlinDaily

I am pretty sure the CEO of Dell is not lying about this.

8. btdown

btdown New Member

Perfect screen size, but with no qwerty keyboard (need slider on this one), I wont even consider it.

9. maerlim

maerlim Well-Known Member

5" is perfect screen size, and you need a qwerty slider on a 5" phone? Like there wouldn't be enough screen real-estate?

10. HustlinDaily

Perfect size if you have a purse. Or incredibly huge pockets.

Oh yeah and huge hands as well.

11. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

I'll wait to pass judgment on this thing until after I've had a chance to play w/it in a store. The size has me both doubting & extremely excited

12. Ambictus

Ambictus Well-Known Member

LOL @ the commercial. I really get the feeling that's what we're all going to be thinking while holding this huge "phone".

13. HustlinDaily

How we went from:

[​IMG] to [​IMG] to [​IMG]

14. Ambictus

WTF? A full QWERTY keyboard the width of a credit card? That's gotta be the worst typing experience ever!

15. tsanuri

Here is some bad news regarding the streak.
    Dell Streak gets official in the UK Boy Genius Report
    Announced with android verison 1.6.
    What is Dell thinking about with these devices and using the older OS. The Aero will release with 1.5 and this in the summer with 1.6 when by then 2.2 will be out.

16. Zappcatt

Zappcatt Well-Known Member

The Press Release mentions that it does get the Android Market. Is that the first tablet to actually have access to the market?

They say they will update it to 2.2...I guess skipping 2.1, so hopefully they are already working on it.

17. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Streak hitting US next month?

Unlocked Dell Streak to be Priced at $500 in July

Unlocked Dell Streak to be Priced at $500 in July

File under: News
    By: Chuong Nguyen | Date: 4-Jun-10 | 0 Comments</STRONG>
    [​IMG]
    Dell has let it slipped at the D8 conference that its 5-inch Android tablet, the Dell Streak, will be priced at around $500 in July when the device should be available in the US. The date and pricing information is the most definitive news from Dell regarding its tablet as the company only gave a summer timeframe before. In comparison, the Dell tablet is smaller at 5-inch compared to the Apple iPad (9.7-inch), but the Streak offers phone features which are lacking in the iPad. The base iPad costs $500 as well, but that model has 16 GB of memory and only WiFi and no cellular radio for broadband data; adding a cellular modem raises the price by $130. Moreover, the Streak has a screen made by Corning's Gorilla Glass, which is strengthened and makes it virtually impossible to break or crack.

[​IMG]

Video of fitting in a "jeans pocket" @ 9:33:

http://pocketnow.com/thought/think-the-evo-4g-is-big

18. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

Yeah...is pocketnow.com the same site that had the article on the HTC Intruder that was wrong in all respects? AT&T to Welcome an HTC Intruder Soon

blah...seriously getting sick of waiting for AppleT&T to get off their tales and offer us something anything that even comes close to resembling a decent android phone.

19. Ambictus

Yeah, that's the site that had the info all screwy. I agree, the anticipation is killing me. I e-mailed AT&T a few days ago and all I got back was "We have the Backflip now and the Aero is coming, that's all we know."

20. colnago

Well, if it has 850/1900 HSPA:

D8 Tech Demo: Dell Streak Tablet | Drake Martinet | D8 Conference | AllThingsD

2:33 pm: Ron Garriques takes the stage to showcase the Dell Streak, a five-inch Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth mini-tablet.
    He first shows a video from a projector via a dock that ships with the device.
    2:35 pm: Kara asks the size question.
    Garriques answers that the device has to be large enough to experience the Internet, but small enough to fit in your top pocket.
    He says he has given up the phone entirely in favor of his Streak.
    2:36 pm: Garriques says that the five-inch screen is 100 percent larger than the average smartphone screen.
    2:37 pm: Kara asks what Dell is calling it. Garriques says he doesn&#8217;t call it a phone or tablet.
    He says that in Europe, the device is free with a two-year contract, adding that carriers around the world are looking for device partners who can &#8220;delight customers.&#8221;
    Walt asks about the age range for target customers. Garriques&#8217; reply: Nine to 94.
    2:40 pm: The Streak will appear in the U.S. toward the end of July and cost about $500 at Dell.com, unlocked.
    Garriques says you can store hundreds of movies on the device, but won&#8217;t give a hard answer on storage numbers. He mentions that it has both a back- and front-facing camera.
    Garriques leaves the stage and D8 goes on a coffee break. Guests at D8 will be able to handle the device at a demo station.

[​IMG]

21. Ambictus

Yeah, we know it will work on AT&T's bands but AT&T's not subsidizing it for now. So in that regard it's not an AT&T phone. There are tons of unlocked phones that work on AT&T's bands but a lot of us want the subsidy since we're not wealthy!

22. Ynomrah

Ynomrah Well-Known Member

i say nay to the dell streak..... that is all.

that shit is ridiculous.

23. mkeath

mkeath Well-Known Member

Yeah I am holding out for an HTC device. It should happen before Q3 is over. Right?

24. tsanuri

Agreed and to make the Streak worse it is lanuching with 1.6. Come on.

25. colnago

Ok...but "subsidized" and "available" are two different things. Especially if you're talking about "Android" devices with AT&T 3G. Everyone is complaining about being left in the dark, and not having a date on a "decent device", here is some "slightly" concrete info. There is also the option of switching current $30/mo. unlimited data/text (if applicable) to the $15/mo. unlimited data. I re-activated my 2nd line on my family plan, right before the plan change on the 7th. They offered the $15 data for my AT&T branded Moto Q, when re-signing.

I'd rather get the unlocked, sans AT&T ware. Especially if it has T-Mo (USA) 3.5G bands. Can't sleep on the $10/mo 7Mbs/21Mbs data plan. Now paying $500 for the Streaks specs right away, may be a different story. I'm a55-out since I want a 3.7"+ touch device that will run sling mobile on AT&T. :rolleyes: