• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5 things a newb droid owner must do

Try everything even if it isn't something you are using right now. Try the music, camera, video camera, wifi, etc. (although I will admit that I haven't tried bluetooth). Make sure the phone works well so that if there is a problem, you can return or exchange it within the 30 days. There have been a few reports of "lemons" that freeze or randomly reboot. Make sure yours isn't one of those while you are in the guarantee period.

Upvote 0
When I first got my Droid, and started poking around, I was seriously underwhelmed - it seemed to lack a lot of things that my previous WinMo smartphone came pre-loaded with. The Settings looked very limited, no file manager, no notepad, no profile manager, no quick call log access, yada yada yada.

The main thing with this phone, is to keep in mind that for almost every problem, there is a solution, one just needs to find it. If something is not in general settings, maybe it's in the individual app settings. A lot of things are hidden behind a 'long press'. Apps exist to tackle almost every asppect of the phone, many of them free. Super Dialer, ScreenModeWidget, Astro, AK Notepad, Profiles, DockRunner, Missed Call, RealCalc Scientific Calculator, DigiClock, SMS Popup, WeatherBug Elite apps took my Droid satisfaction level from 'blah' to 'just about perfect'.

Upvote 0
complain on this forum that the phone isn't the second coming of christ? seems to be a popular choice.

Heh.

I would recommend:
- charge the Droid fully and let it drain fully then charge fully at least once

Apps:
- Notes. - super simple note taking app with a great feature to turn your list into a checklist. Free.

Barcode Scanner - a must. Free.

Kee Ring - eliminates the need for those membership rewards cards for the grocery store and the like. Free.

Mixzing - good music app. Free.

A Online Radio - listen to streaming web radio. Tons of stations. News, sports,music, etc. Free.

Last.FM - streaming web suggestion radio. Free.

Pandora - streaming web suggestion radio. Free.

Photoshop mobile - great for simple cropping and color correcrtion. Free.

Google Voice - a must. If you don't have it go to Google and sign up. Might take time before they invite you after signing up. Screen calls transcribes voicemail and tons more. Fantastic service free for all calls and SMS in the us.

Upvote 0
So I just got my droid, and I am new to the world of apps and such, so what are 5 things you recommend I do right away?

1. Make sure everything works. Leave the phone on for a while (pay attention to it) and be sure it doesn't automatically restart itself at all, as this is a common indicator of a bad device. Test all of the basic applications. Make sure they all open and function. Turn your Wifi/GPS/Bluetooth on and off and make sure they work if you can.

2. Get some widgets. A weather widget is always a useful choice, as are the internet radio stations (Pandora/Last.FM/iMeem, etc) if you're into those types of things. CalWidget is nice if you use your calendar, better than the default calendar widget and it comes in lots of sizes. Mototorch LED is awesome if you ever want to flip on the camera flash and use it as a flashlight.

3. Customize it. It's not an iPhone, make it look and feel the way you want. Change the background, icon layout, get a home replacement if you're feeling adventurous and change the theme.

4. Browse the forums. You'll find lots of posts about everything under the sun. It's likely that a lot of them will catch your eye and you can learn more about the phone and apps that you might want.

5. Learn the shortcuts! Remember that if you can't figure out how to do something, long pressing (hold down your finger for a few seconds) gives more options on almost everything, as does the menu button. These two things are your friend if you can't figure out a way to do something. Of course, you could always ask here, too, but chances are you'll be more efficient if you figure out some things for yourself.

Of course, last of all, enjoy your phone :)

Upvote 0
complain on this forum that the phone isn't the second coming of christ? seems to be a popular choice.
Holy crap that is funny!:D

scorrpio said:
The main thing with this phone, is to keep in mind that for almost every problem, there is a solution, one just needs to find it. If something is not in general settings, maybe it's in the individual app settings. A lot of things are hidden behind a 'long press'. Apps exist to tackle almost every asppect of the phone, many of them free. Super Dialer, ScreenModeWidget, Astro, AK Notepad, Profiles, DockRunner, Missed Call, RealCalc Scientific Calculator, DigiClock, SMS Popup, WeatherBug Elite apps took my Droid satisfaction level from 'blah' to 'just about perfect'.
Good stuff ^^^ right there. There seems to be a long press for almost everything. I put the power control widget on my main screen because I turn my gps on and off all the time and also I adjust my screen brightness myself. I usally go with with brightness all the way down indoors and medium outside sometimes I go all the way to torch mode if its reall bright outside. After a few days with the screen on low it almost looks to harsh when you move it up. My battery life is pretty good can go a full day and and have plenty of battery at the end of the day. But I don't do too much streaming of pandora or anything.

Upvote 0
If you're going to use the forum, try searching for an answer to your problem first. If you can't find an answer, search using different keywords, before starting another post on what has most likely a topic that has been well covered here, or in the sub-forums.

Relax, Francis. First, do me a favor and point out a previous thread that has a similar topic. I already tried and couldn't find one. Secondly, the very nature of my question and the responses I would get make this a very unique question. People's opinions change the more they use this phone, the more apps come out, the more software updates come up. So even if someone asked this question 2 weeks ago, the responses could be completely different. Geesh.

Reactions: pammysue
Upvote 0

lol that is hilarious,

and i thought I was the only one not down on the droid.

Your first payed app should be "Beautiful Home" widget, nice clean interface and great animations.

I would also check out google calendar and see if there are any 3rd party calenders you would like, i did us holidays and my contacts birthdays.

Upvote 0
That is a good piece of advise to search the forums. As is looks most of us all joined in the last month after the Droid was released. And I for one have been a little disappointed in this Droid forum. The problem is people don't search. I think it was more advise to search for any problems you may have than a attack on this post. If he started a new topic with something to do with the battery then the advise means something different. I'm sure I'm not the only one who get tired to see the the same old topics being started over and over again.

Upvote 0
Relax, Francis. First, do me a favor and point out a previous thread that has a similar topic. I already tried and couldn't find one. Secondly, the very nature of my question and the responses I would get make this a very unique question. People's opinions change the more they use this phone, the more apps come out, the more software updates come up. So even if someone asked this question 2 weeks ago, the responses could be completely different. Geesh.

Dr, I don't think he was trying to tell you that THIS thread was a duplicate... he's just encouraging use of the search feature to new forum members.

I'm new to this forum, and got my Droid a couple days ago. But this is not my first rodeo. I'm a member of maybe 20 forums like this, and I'm pretty familiar with the search functions, but many people are not and will post a new topic about every question they have without reading around first.

Upvote 0

I never said that your OP was not original, just letting you know that if there is something you are looking for, "going forward", its most likely been already discussed.

As a new member to the board, I'm helpin "you" out by encouraging you to be proactive "going forward", and helpin "us" out by potentially heading off the creation of redundant posts. Encouraging you to "search" will most likely net you faster solution to any issues than waiting for someone to personally respond.

This is a practice which is becoming increasingly common with new members...just a rule of thumb of "things to do first", which is what you asked. If you're looking for specific apps, it won't help much if the apps we like, aren't what you're looking for.

Good luck with your DROID, there is a ton of info on these forums, and at this point, search is your friend.

Upvote 0
1. Buy a case. You'll drop the phone.....it's inevitable.
2. Don't spend $30 on the media station, just download an application called dockrunner instead.
3. Download Pandora or Droidlive.....if you like music.
4. Get a weather widget app.
5. Once you've gotten use to the phone, explore alternative home apps. You'll have your droid just the way you want it in no time flat.

Upvote 0
1. Buy a case. You'll drop the phone.....it's inevitable.
2. Don't spend $30 on the media station, just download an application called dockrunner instead.
3. Download Pandora or Droidlive.....if you like music.
4. Get a weather widget app.
5. Once you've gotten use to the phone, explore alternative home apps. You'll have your droid just the way you want it in no time flat.

Which weather app is the best.

I just got meebo, which seems to work good with both my yahoo and aim IM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones