• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 50% Bug on Froyo

savoxis

Android Expert
Aug 10, 2010
Pacific NW
www.savoxis.com http
First off let me start by saying I couldn't find the old 50% Bug Thread, this is why I am posting a new one.

This is on MIUI for the Droid Incredible, Android Version 2.2.1

snap20101105_125559.png

Most Froyo Roms I have seen do not show the "Time Without Signal" part in the battery stats page, however Cyanogen, MIUI, and some of the AOSP ROMs do. Here is what I get in my Battery Use screen:

snap20101105_081542.png

As you can see it REPORTS 50% time without signal. This is quite comical however, as I have had the phone off the charger for about 16 hours and I still have 77% battery life.

This solidifies the fact that the 50% bug is JUST A REPORTING ERROR and does not effect battery life negatively. All stock Froyo would do is take away the section in which you can "check" to see if you have the "bug" or not.

The following is all hypothesis:

Android reports that CDMA phones have 50% or greater time without signal because it is taking both the reports from a GSM radio and the CDMA radio. Causing it to say that your time without signal is over 50% because you are only using one radio.

Reactions: darkxsun
This solidifies the fact that the 50% bug is JUST A REPORTING ERROR and does not effect battery life negatively.

I've often wondered about this because my phone always says 50% or 53% when I first turn it on. Typically, I will throw it into airplane mode for 5 minutes and that clears it up for the rest of the day. On times I forget, I still don't see any significant battery loss even though the Time Without Signal reports above 50% for the whole day. Many times I wanted to post about this, but I was sure i'd get laughed at since the prevailing belief is that this bug causes massive battery loss. I'm glad to see someone else sees this as not being the case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones