• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

$50 plan

n4zty

Android Expert
Apr 6, 2011
Ok so been seeing too many people asking the same damn question about how do we know if we are on old grandfathered in $50 plan and what happens when we reach limit. First of all theres no grandfathered in $50 plan all u get is 1gb and thats it so just upgrade to new $50 plan and get yourself 2.5gb . now with that being said the first thing that happens when you reach 90% is you get a txt message from metro saying you have 10% left of your bandwidth.

screenshot1336413649100.png

then once u used it all up you get another txt saying you have used up all your monthly 4g data.

screenshot1336413745620.png

The results might suprise alot of you guys but u dont lose your 4g it just gets really slow around 100-200 kbps down and up around 200-250kbps typical metro 3g speeds.

screenshot1336405584314.png

well i upgraded on my old $50 when i reached 100% of my limit so when i switched to new plan i was at 47% or something like that but anyways i called metro i asked when they gonna refresh my new monthly allowance since i paid my bill they said at 12am ............ oh well im capped at 1x speeds till midnight.

Upvote 0
well i upgraded on my old $50 when i reached 100% of my limit so when i switched to new plan i was at 47% or something like that but anyways i called metro i asked when they gonna refresh my new monthly allowance since i paid my bill they said at 12am ............ oh well im capped at 1x speeds till midnight.

Does everything count on the new $50 plan?

Upvote 0
Uuhh guy? There is a Grandfathered Unlimited $50 plan... For the ones who had it when the plan first came about (YOU LUCKY BASTARDS lol) I used to have it back when I had the samsung galaxy indulge. I LOST it cause i had to do a warranty switch an I didnt have another 4g phone to switch it to at the time so I went back to my rinky dink phone... I was PISSED! I yea i got these text the other day... RIGHT AFTER I PAID MY BILL.... I was like how the hell did i burn up 2.5 gb in three days!?!?!?! Then I realized it... tethering lol. So now im at the 70 plan. I believe some people have the grandfathered plan but dont realize it.

Upvote 0
Uuhh guy? There is a Grandfathered Unlimited $50 plan... For the ones who had it when the plan first came about (YOU LUCKY BASTARDS lol) I used to have it back when I had the samsung galaxy indulge. I LOST it cause i had to do a warranty switch an I didnt have another 4g phone to switch it to at the time so I went back to my rinky dink phone... I was PISSED! I yea i got these text the other day... RIGHT AFTER I PAID MY BILL.... I was like how the hell did i burn up 2.5 gb in three days!?!?!?! Then I realized it... tethering lol. So now im at the 70 plan. I believe some people have the grandfathered plan but dont realize it.

When did that plan start? I got that plan when the Esteem released and my data doesn't move at all.

Upvote 0
The 1 gb is for media streaming only. The 2.5GB counts for everything. Trust me I gulp data down like it's nothing and I'm only at 6%. I'm on gee old $50 plan.

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Thats not true it was like that for me up until a week ago then using the phone one day it used up 45% of the data watch move on netflix and downloaded a game so i went in and made a big deal and they said to up grade my plan to the 2.5 GB one lol ...I Think there playing Catch Up you will fall in that class sooner or later beleave me

Upvote 0
Per MetroPCS's website, it is unlimited data (web browsing) on both plans and either 1 Gb or 2.5 GB of streaming data. Web browsing doesn't count against the limit. I've heard some people say that they are still unlimited and I guess I'd have to take their word for it, but I've had my phone since December on the $50 family plan and never changed a thing. It now tells me that I have 1 GB of streaming. If I were to guess, if you are only tethering to read the news on the internet, it wouldn't count against the streaming limit.

This is their current $50 offer on the website:

Unlimited MetroWEBMetroWEB gives you unlimited phone Internet access. Find answers on Google; visit your favorite sites; check flight, sport and weather updates and everything else you love to do — all from your cell phone. MetroWEB is available in Spanish as well.
Learn more
2.5GB Data at 4G LTE Speed

First 2.5GB of music, video and other media at up to 4G LTE speeds. For users of the $50 4G LTE rate plan. Puts the power of the Internet in your hands — browse the web at blazing-fast speeds and stream media in a flash!

Enjoy up to 5GB data with the $60 4G LTE Rhapsody Unlimited Music rate plan.

And for unlimited data at 4G LTE speeds, select the$70 4G LTE with MetroSTUDIO Video On Demand and Rhapsody Unlimited Music rate plan..

Upvote 0
Per MetroPCS's website, it is unlimited data (web browsing) on both plans and either 1 Gb or 2.5 GB of streaming data. Web browsing doesn't count against the limit. I've heard some people say that they are still unlimited and I guess I'd have to take their word for it, but I've had my phone since December on the $50 family plan and never changed a thing. It now tells me that I have 1 GB of streaming. If I were to guess, if you are only tethering to read the news on the internet, it wouldn't count against the streaming limit.

This is their current $50 offer on the website:

Unlimited MetroWEBMetroWEB gives you unlimited phone Internet access. Find answers on Google; visit your favorite sites; check flight, sport and weather updates and everything else you love to do

Upvote 0
dunno lets see i tether alot and stream alot so perhaps the old plan wasnt for me no point in just using it to surf over the net.

I use to tether to my computer and watch twitch.tv for hours a day and that ate up my data like crazy. That's the only time I ever got that text about throttling down speeds. Now I only tether when I want to play this old FPS or lightly browse the web, and it doesn't seem to affect my data cap at all.

Sent from my LG-MS910 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-6

Upvote 0
All of yu live in different city witch means different plans different prices

Not true in any way seems ur naive about that because if you go to metropcs.com you will see the different plans that are available. the new $50 came into effect i believe last month and its for every state. people that had the old $50 plan can choose to keep it there are minimal advantages or shall we say pros but the cons outweigh it hands down so i chose to be placed on the new $50 since i download alot tether alot and stream alot. The pros about the old $50 plan is that data wont be counted against ur monthly just for surfing or checking ur email things like that but on the new $50 plan everything is counted towards ur data plan even just surfing web pages. but on the new $50 plan we get 2.5 gb instead of 1gb so i can i live with that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones