50% signal and network location issue with BB .2.1

Last Updated:

1. Jetster220

Jetster220 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone else had a issue with there phone saying it only has signal 50% of the time and also network location not working while running the latest build of Bugless Beat .2.1?

Advertisement
  2. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

I've had it on all of the 2.2 roms I have used... From my understanding this is a code issue with Google... The only fix I have ever seen was on Cyanogen 5.0.7.1, one of the users actually got it fixed and Cyanogen put into the latest release... Not sure what it all entails, however from what I understand it is a display bug and should on effect the battery in very very rare circumstances...

3. subsynth

subsynth Active Member

Switching to ariplane mode and then back seems to fix this, but you have to do it every time you reboot.

Before I noticed it I never noticed missing calls, txt, data or anything like that, so I don't know how "accurate" the time without signal acutally is.

4. ska.t73

From my understanding it isn't accurate at all... It is a display bug, so you aren't actually "searching for a signal" it just displays that... This was a problem with most every single 2.1 ROM as well...

The problem some were having is when it wasn't actually a display bug and it actually was searching for a signal all the time. However this was easily noticed by the fact that the battery would be crapy...

5. Jetster220

Yea, I figured it was something simply with displaying that as my battery has been fine. But has anybody else had a issue with network location not working?

6. bp328i

bp328i Well-Known Member

I was seeing this with NexFro but since I switched to JRummy's Kangerade V1.0 it's seems to be working fine. Right now it's showing:
    Time on 5h 43m 55s
    Time without a signal 1%

I also went back baseband C.01.43.01P so I'm not sure if that's what did it or not.

7. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

How do you know you are not connected to the network? I do not think I have had this problem...is it losing 3G? or both 3G and 1x?

8. Jetster220

Well I know the network location isnt working because whenever I bring up my browser the startup page that tell you your location and you can search for local things cant find me, and also in Google Maps it cant determine my location and my Beautiful Widgets App wont follow me either.

9. ska.t73

From my understanding (and I could be wrong, it has happened one or 2 times in my 36 years :p ) the time without signal measures how much time your phone spends searching for service, so you would see a drop in bars down to 0 and no 3G or 1G... This actually happens to me at work because my building eats cell phone signals for lunch, however it should never be 50% if it is that high then you more then likely have a radio problem...

As far as the location thing, I'm not sure I haven't ever seen that one...

10. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Also seen this on more than one 2.2 ROM...just checked and have it on BB v.2, also saw it on the first "generic" 2.2 release.

11. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

This is correct. The reason cyanogenmod was the only 2.1 rom this showed up on is because he is the only one that syncs with AOSP. I am assuming that whatever caused this was introduced into AOSP after ESE81 was created.

Hopefully google will Kang the fix from CM and it wont be an issue going forward.

I dont think there is a way to get rid of it without source code.

Back when it was an issue with CM it was merely cosmetic for 95% of users and the other 5% experienced pretty amazing battery drain. I guess just hope that you arent one of the 5%

12. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

I have not had any problems tho...i never updated to the new baseband tho...

13. Jetster220

Okay I solved the network location problem, lol all I had too do was turn it of then back on and it worked. I could have sworn o tried that though and it didn't do anything. But its all good now except for that 50% bug.