500 mb enough 'net usage?

Last Updated:

1. Installation

Installation Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, I've never had a smartphone before and I was wondering if 500mb 'net usage is more than enough (per month) to use it reasonably. Also, any ideas what I could get up to without breaking this limit? (how much browsing e.t.c.)

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I take it your on Oranges "unlimited" plan too!

I always use wifi if its available, eg at home. During the day data is on, use it quite a lot for twitter, email, news, etc. Also download a fair few apps. I'm currently just under 400mb, with like 3 days left to go.

I'd suggest you download this app, it records your data usage so you know when you are reaching your limit:

(Download using barcode scanner app or search market)
    [​IMG]
    3G Watchdog v0.14.0 Application for Android | Tools

Basically its enough if you don't use your data plan to download or stream videos or music. I set all heavy downloading to happen overnight via my wifi. Best advice tho is to just use it, and keep an eye on usage with the app i mentioned above. You will then easily see how much you tend to use and modify behaviour accordingly!

3. Installation

Actually I don't have a hero yet, however I could either a) get one on 3 with 600 mins and lots of texts with unlimited net usage or buy a used one and put my existing orange sim in it, which involves the 'unlimited' 500mb plan (600 mins/infinite texts). Hence why I'm asking :D. Thanks anyway, though what do you think I should do in this situation?

The 3 deal costs

4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Firstly, welcome aboard! :)

If the 3 coverage is acceptable in your area and you can wear the

5. Installation

Yes that's quite true, though I'll be using the phone mostly in/around my uni halls (though only for light browsing there tbh) but everywhere else is covered by wifi. I'll have to see what happens, I won't be getting the phone yet anyway - probably in april/may, hopefully they offer my mum an upgrade on her 3 phone so it'll be a bit cheaper anyway :). Thanks for the help again.

6. zacspeed

zacspeed Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give 3 the steam off of my $h!t, truly awful company!!!!!!! :mad:
    Stick with Orange dude

7. mez

mez Well-Known Member

HEllo
    FIrst id just like to say 3 really aren't that bad if the coverage is any good in your area. I found 3 to offer the best deals(usually) and have the best customer service...

But saying that I'm on Orange 18 month contract

8. Polarskates

Polarskates Member

I can certainly confirm this, i wouldn't go anywhere near them again! Worst customer service by a mile.

9. Installation

Thanks for the info, though tbh I haven't had many issues with 3 and nearly all my family have phones from them. I'll have to see whether or not they offer me an upgrade in April time to the hero or not then.

Thanks

10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

There will definitely be a better phone out by then! I think orange Is great, but if you've had no problems with 3 and coverage is good then its up to you. Especially if customer loyalty gets you a better contract. I do believe that orange has the largest coverige in the UK tho, especially after the deal with t-mobile.

11. Installation

Yeah that's true, though they don't give out unlimited net usage ever, which is quite annoying. Besides, if there is a better phone out then it'll mean that the hero will be easier to obtain :D

12. islandmixed

islandmixed Well-Known Member

Got my hero couple days ago and i pay

13. Installation

14. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Nope, he's just referring to what orange call it. The most annoying thing about it for me was when I rang the orange customer support to check if hteir "unlimited" plan had a cap. The guy on the other end said "yes it has a cap of 500mb, but don't worry thats plenty you won't get anywhere near it".

It just made me want to slap him.

15. Installation

That really sucks tbh =/. Oh well, we'll see if it gets cheaper as the months roll on.

16. Quazar

Quazar Well-Known Member

I find that I use only 200mb out of my 500mb cap with orange.
    Also, my offer was 600mins, unlimited txts and 500mb data for

17. islandmixed

islandmixed Well-Known Member

My badd yes the unlimited to them is 500mb!! i also wanted to ask well what if i download files all day long? its a bitch if you ask me. i know tmob offer their hero brand phone with 1 gig max a month.

also their unlimited text is 3000 max..that is more then enuff but they should not label it unlimited texts. i got a friend who goes thru thousands a month.

18. Installation

19. Quazar

Quazar Well-Known Member

A lot of general searching or web browsing sites, eBuddy, facebook and the occasional youtube video whilst on the train. At home I use wifi if I remember to switch it back on. Also downloading apps sometimes on the train.

20. CitizenErazed

CitizenErazed Well-Known Member

I'm on Orange, my last bill showed a data usage of 211mb. This covers facebook and twitter access daily, news feeds, gmail, light google maps usage, the weather app, occasional MSN usage, light browsing (probably 20mins a day, mostly mobile versions of websites), the odd youtube clip, very rare usage of beebPlayer and probably 2 apps downloaded over 3G. There might be a spotify track or two included in that.

It's youtube, beebPlayer and streaming audio that will kill it. For things like that or app downloads, you're best off using wifi - most of the time if I'm streaming video I'm in a coffee shop, and they all have wifi these days.

21. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

My end of month is today, data usage stands at approx 450mb.

10 minute twitter updates
    gmail
    facebook
    android news widget
    random browsing
    no (or very rare light) streaming of any video or music
    plenty of app downloads

At home its WiFi all the way (8pm - 8am)

i think a youtube video may have pushed it to this point, but end of day 500 is very tight by orange