1. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

Advertisement
  2. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

Wow, they improved a all but useless feature used for marketing and little else? So, now it will be even better at telling spunky starlets if its raining out while they are standing next to a window?

Seriously, Siri is an improvement on voice control, but is still miles away from being anything but toy. There are still serious hardware and battery issues to overcome before any form of voice control becomes truly usable and useful to the masses. Any tech blogger who gushes over Siri is standing firm in the Apple reality distortion field and shouldn't be trusted for any review or advice.
  3. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

Those Siri commercials crack me up. It's shows people that have no social life so the only "person" they have to talk with is their cell phone.
  4. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

They
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Honestly, the only reason I can see using something like Siri is when you're driving, and even then its not very useful. You shouldn't be calling or texting while driving anyway. Those movies are giving the wrong messages.
  6. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

I think it's a gimmick app, much like face unlock.
    I can see where it would be useful to verbally set reminders or calendar appointments.
  7. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Rush speaking &#9756;__ Siri, honestly, are you happy being implemented on the iOS platform?

Siri respond &#9756;__Rush, heck no...but they pay me good enough - that's the only reason why I'm doing this #&%& &#9583;&#9651;&#9584;

Thanks, Siri...you've been very helpful. (&#12484;)
  8. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Well-Known Member

Well...here is a counter point of view: Link here

Btw, I am indifferent to both as I use neither. I don't use Siri because I don't use Apple phones and I don't use similar services in Android because I think they are not very helpful...yet.
    pastafarian likes this.
  9. AppsRUs

AppsRUs Well-Known Member

For the past few weeks I've been around iPhone users. They scream, yell, and cuss Siri out. I pick up my Nexus, speak once, and we go on our way. They can hardly believe it. They'll say, "Siri. I'm hungry." "I said I'm hungry." "*ITCH, I SAID I WAS HUNGRY!"

Meanwhile, back in Google-land, I launch Places, say, "Pizza Restaraunts" and in seconds get a list of shops near our location, click Navigate, and simply say, "You can stop now. I found it."

I'm tired of the Apple propaganda. I'm tired of them taking from Android, putting polish on the features, and claiming its innovative and ground breaking. But none of the iSheep will listen to reason until its put to the test, and I do it every time.
  10. antonio107

antonio107 Well-Known Member

Every single time I play with Siri in a radio shack or other mall store, it works great. Sometimes I want to know the weather, or have it set something to my calendar. For that alone I think it's an amazing tool. The only device that accesses my calendar on my skyfire is Vlingo Labs, and it's not as smooth as the handful of times I've tried Siri.

I think voice apps are a novelty, but they're a great novelty. I enjoy using them. And even though I love my Android phone, I think Siri is better than anything I've used on an Android phone...S voice, Google Search, Vlingo...they're all very clumsy programs.
  11. scooterinmn

scooterinmn Well-Known Member

Don't be upset. Wouldn't you be upset and refuse to listen to reason after paying that much for a device that does less that something else cheaper? No iSheep wants to admit that the only reason that they bought the thing was because Paris Hilton has one! LOL!!
    AppsRUs likes this.
  12. sjv

sjv New Member

Don't underestimate the fun factor. Even though Siri is really not that useful it sells phones. Apple gets that. I think Google is starting to get it too with face unlock. They admit its more gimmick than security but things like that sell.
  13. funpig

funpig Well-Known Member

I don't use either, but I have used the dictation feature on both the ipad and my galaxy tab. Apple is superior to android. Compare the following:

Ipad: I believe Dr. Jones lives in Canada.

Galaxy Tab: i believe doctor jones lives in canada.

The dictation in the ipad is more intuitve. Android is dumb. It will not capitalize first word or any proper names unless you stop and hit the shift key. Apple will use normal abbreviations Dr. Mr. etc.; with Android you have to stop and type those out. Makes the dictation a real chore. Android needs to catch up. Of course i am only comparing my galaxy tab 7 plus. With the fragmentation of android i am sure somebody will find some android device dictation which may be as good as the ipad but who has the time or money to buy and test them all to find one that works as well as the ipad.
  14. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

They might be a novelty for people with great eyesight, but imagine how useful this would be for those who are either visually impaired or who are blind. Id love to have Siri or something similar, but I refuse to buy an iPhone to get it.
    antonio107 likes this.
  15. antonio107

antonio107 Well-Known Member

What makes them "novelties" is precisely that they don't work as well as they should, like you say. In a few generations, if this software gets sophisticated enough, voice apps will be virtual secretaries that understand everything: think the computer from star trek TNG. :)
  16. Bnice

Bnice Guest

17. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

It looks real good up next to Siri. Siri/Voice search is fun I guess, I prefer the good old fashion typing method. But I think the bigger picture is just how much more useful Google Now is going to be then either of them. The fact that I can walk up to a train station pull out of my phone have a time table waiting for me? That is awesome. This is the first time in years that I think Google has really taken a step ahead of the game.