• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5X or X Pure

crazy3gz

Nov 14, 2011
Sorry, someone had to do it. I've been on the Nexus train for a while now. I don't really want to get off, but with the Moto getting timely updates and pure android I'm on the fence. I'm definitely not a power user. I skipped the 6 because I don't want a phablet. The only real complaint I have with my 5 is battery. Front speakers would be nice. What is really the best bang for the buck and pros and cons? Convince me to buy a 5X...

I thought I'd buy the 5X, I currently have the original Moto X. I'm thinking, after seeing everything, I'm likely buying the 6P for the better specs. I'm wanting the Nexus again for two reasons, the primary reason is I want the fingerprint reader and the secondary reason is wanting to try Project Fi.

I will admit, I'll miss the Moto software but, so long as it is well implemented, the fingerprint reader is great for security, both in ease of getting in your phone while being able to make it secure.

Upvote 0
As someone who's owned the original Moto X and now is rolling with the Nexus 6 I am planning on buying the Moto X Pure. You say you're sure you'll miss the Moto software enhancements ... trust me you have NO IDEA. I was "chasing specs" so I opted for the Nexus 6 instead of the Moto X 2014, biggest reasons were battery size and dual front speakers. I love my N6 but wow do I miss the Moto software. The size is something you really can get used to and as someone who owns an N6 and has held a Moto X Pure, the Moto X Pure feels SUBSTANTIALLY smaller, even though it probably shouldn't. the difference in width is amazing with how it feels in hand. It feels like a big phone not a big phablet (like the N6). What I can't get over is missing Moto Actions, their Moto active display, touchless controls...etc.

I could never ever put down a Nexus product, they are awesome for a lot of reasons. For me ... Moto makes the best phones (radios) and what little they add to stock android is helpful, and makes sense. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
The only reason I haven't ordered an X Pure yet is the size and potential lack of updates when compared to the Nexus. With the lack of stereo speakers on the 5X, it pushes me even closer to buying a Pure. The Pure and 6P just seem too big for my small, disabled hands though. I really want to see a comparison video between the 5X, 6P and X Pure.

Upvote 0
The Pure is slightly smaller than the 6P and is curved. Not sure if you ever handled a Moto X before but they fit in hand soo very nicely. That being said, it's still a large phone and I've not held it yet. I do love my X '14 though. I've debated about trying the Pure but haven't pulled the trigger yet, I'm waiting to hold one and see the LCD display in person first. The 6P does have AMOLED but, well, it's big. Sigh.

Upvote 0
The Moto X 2013 has been by far the best Android phone I've had (and I've been on the Android train since 2009). The only complaint I have about it (seriously—only one) is the terrible, terrible camera that's in it. It's okay in the daytime usually, but it's terrible for indoors or low-light situations. Appalling, really. I was really tempted to get the Moto X Pure. The front-facing stereo speakers, the affordable price, the microSD card support... all very tempting.

I opted to get the Nexus 5x for several reasons, and I hope I don't regret it:
  • The Moto X 2013 is the perfect size, but if you want any kind of high-end phone, the choices for small phones is almost non-existent. The Moto X Pure is just enormous. And the Nexus 6p—although appealing in many, many ways—is also enormous. The Nexus 5x is still much bigger than the Moto X 2013, but it's probably at the threshold of how big a phone I could put up with.
  • The reviews about the Moto X Pure's camera seems to have a consensus that it's amazing in daylight but not so great in low-light situations. Some reviewers have hinted that Motorola might fix that with a software update, but I'm doubtful (even with the Moto X 2013, they were able to improve the camera somewhat with software updates... not enough). There haven't been any full-blown reviews of the Nexus 5x and 6p cameras, but early first impressions from reviewers seem to indicate the two phones will probably do well in low light.
  • At first, Motorola was great about bringing in updates from Google to Android, but then they got slow. Now they're not even bringing Marshmallow to some Moto phones that are less than two years old. I like my updates. I know with a Nexus phone I'll be getting those OTAs very shortly after a new full release or even just a security patch release.
  • I'm excited about the fingerprint sensor, which the Moto X Pure doesn't have. There are too many times on the bus when I'm putting my code in and realize anyone can see my code and then grab my phone and run off the bus with it. Since I have to put in my code multiple times a day, it's not as complicated as it could be. I'd rather use a fingerprint unlock most of the time and then have a more complex code.
  • I'd love 64 GB of storage, but right now I have 16 GB on my Moto X 2013, and that's fine... a bit of a strain, but I can make it work. So 32 GB should be plenty.
  • I'd also love stereo front-facing speakers but on my Moto X 2013 I have only one rear-facing speaker, so a front-facing mono speaker will be a huge upgrade for me.

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
The Moto X 2013 has been by far the best Android phone I've had (and I've been on the Android train since 2009). The only complaint I have about it (seriously—only one) is the terrible, terrible camera that's in it. It's okay in the daytime usually, but it's terrible for indoors or low-light situations. Appalling, really. I was really tempted to get the Moto X Pure. The front-facing stereo speakers, the affordable price, the microSD card support... all very tempting.

• The Moto X 2013 is the perfect size, but if you want any kind of high-end phone, the choices for small phones is almost non-existent. The Moto X Pure is just enormous. And the Nexus 6p—although appealing in many, many ways—is also enormous. The Nexus 5x is still much bigger than the Moto X 2013, but it's probably at the threshold of how big a phone I could put up with.
  • The reviews about the Moto X Pure's camera seems to have a consensus that it's amazing in daylight but not so great in low-light situations. Some reviewers have hinted that Motorola might fix that with a software update, but I'm doubtful (even with the Moto X 2013, they were able to improve the camera somewhat with software updates... not enough). There haven't been any full-blown reviews of the Nexus 5x and 6p cameras, but early first impressions from reviewers seem to indicate the two phones will probably do well in low light.
  • At first, Motorola was great about bringing in updates from Google to Android, but then they got slow. Now they're not even bringing Marshmallow to some Moto phones that are less than two years old. I like my updates. I know with a Nexus phone I'll be getting those OTAs very shortly after a new full release or even just a security patch release.
  • I'm excited about the fingerprint sensor, which the Moto X Pure doesn't have. There are too many times on the bus when I'm putting my code in and realize anyone can see my code and then grab my phone and run off the bus with it. Since I have to put in my code multiple times a day, it's not as complicated as it could be. I'd rather use a fingerprint unlock most of the time and then have a more complex code.
  • I'd love 64 GB of storage, but right now I have 16 GB on my Moto X 2013, and that's fine... a bit of a strain, but I can make it work. So 32 GB should be plenty.
  • I'd also love stereo front-facing speakers but on my Moto X 2013 I have only one rear-facing speaker, so a front-facing mono speaker will be a huge upgrade for me.

DxOMark has published a review of the Nexus 6P and found it the third best smartphone camera they have tested, with only the Sony Xperia Z5 and the Samasung S6 Edge scoring higher. Since the Nexus 5X has the same camera, it should work quite well.

Upvote 0
I was on the verge of getting the new iPhone and going with T Mobile, but when I found about this Project Fi and the upcoming Nexus phones, I started leaning toward Android. I got sick of all the bloat ware crap from my prior Samsung phone, and I hope that the advertised 'pure' experience of a 'true' Google phone would keep me from switching to the Apple ecosphere

Upvote 0

I have had the 2013 Moto X and the 2014 Moto X (also called a Pure Edition), and now have the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition. The 2013 X felt PERFECT in my hands, so I've reluctantly gone along with the increase in phone size every year in order to enjoy the features of each new generation.

I've had the Pure since mid-September and while I love everything about the way the phone works, I think it's actually too big for my hands and I kind of loath carrying it around now. It's fine on the desk, it's fine to use with two hands, but one handed use is not easy and pocket carry is bordering on ridiculous (for me). Phablets are not for me, alas.

So I ordered a Nexus 5X and am hoping it will arrive soon. In the meantime, I ordered accessories like a Diztronic TPU case, USB C to USB A cables, screen protectors....the works.

The case arrived a couple of days ago and I was kind of shocked when I placed it next to my Pure (which also has a case on it). The 5X case is 1/4" shorter and 1/8" narrower and just a tad thinner (specs say 5X is 2mm thinner) than the Pure in its case--not as big a difference as I had hoped! Perhaps the thinness of the 5X will help in making the device more manageable with one hand...?

If you have typical man-sized hands, the Pure should feel GREAT when you hold it (that's what I've heard from other guys who have the Pure). If you have smaller hands, it might feel a bit unwieldy.

To me, specs-wise I think that the Pure wins (water repellent, better screen res, awesome dual front facing speakers, 3GB RAM, expandable storage). The 5X has the smaller size and regular security updates on its side, and I'm hoping the camera is as good as people are expecting because the Pure has been taking some really amazing photos (mostly outside, admittedly).

Will be using them side by side for about 10 days to try to determine which one to keep, so will try to report back on my impressions. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Pure but that may just be because I'm familiar with it (and am hesitant to give up the awesome Moto apps!) and the Nexus experience is still just a nebulous concept for me....

Upvote 0
Spent the weekend comparing the 5X to my Pure.

Build quality: I think build quality is fine on the 5X...not at the level of the Pure with its beautiful metal frame, etc, but definitely not junk like some people have said. Seams are all straight and tight, and there aren't any creaks or groans when you hold it or press on it. It IS a plastic phone, so don't be surprised at how light it is in terms of weight.

Performance: I don't see a difference between the 5X and the Pure, which isn't surprising given that they have the same CPU under the hood. I haven't noticed anything that would indicate that 2GB of RAM is insufficient, but I don't do any gaming so maybe I'm not pushing it hard enough.

Display: the 1080p with 424ppi display is perfectly adequate, and I don't mean that in a negative sense. It's FINE. The Pure's bigger screen is perhaps more vivid and noticeably crisp, but 1080p is good enough that you'd have to have amazing eyesight to need a 1440p with 515ppi screen.

Battery: I haven't pushed it, but the battery screen projections after an hour of steady use indicate another 5 hours of battery left. That equates to about 5 hours of SoT (corroborated by other comments on the web), I'd say--which is pretty darn awesome . I'd expect the Pure to get about the same on Android 6.0 if you balance the slightly bigger batter against the slightly bigger screen.

Camera: I'd say it is about a draw for camera performance. The 16:9 with the Pure is a little nicer to look at, but the pictures produced by the 5X are very close in quality (slight variations in colors is what I noticed the most)--at least for my snap and go needs. I have to say that I was never unhappy with the pics from my Moto X2 (13mp camera), so maybe I'm not picky enough? I take photos to remember things--not analyze every detail of every pixel....faint praise, I know, but there are reviews on the web that go into more depth and come to the same conclusion.

Fingerprint scanner: OK, I didn't think this feature was much of a big deal...until I used it. Wow, it's awesomely fast and uber convenient! It's accurate too as it has rarely failed to unlock and turn on the device.

Software: Because the Pure has a "Pure Android experience," there isn't a whole lot that will be different in terms of software experience. The Moto apps, of course, are intuitively helpful and definitely ADD to the user experience.

Misc notes:

Ambient Display - while not an even swap for Moto Display, it works reliably for me. Some people say that they can't get it to trigger consistently, but all I have to do is pick up the device and change the gyro (or whatever you call it) about 90 degrees and it will always turn on. It should be noted that Moto Actions' Approach for Display requires less effort to glean the same information.

Speakers: If you use your speaker more than just a little, consider that the Pure speakers (dual speakers in the front) are really good and the 5X speaker (there is only one) is passable. For me, I just need speakers for notifications mostly--music goes through bluetooth these days.

Size: The Pure is for sure a phablet. The 5X is still a one-handed phone, which I think is a huge selling point for those of us with smaller hands.

Removeable storage: The Pure has it--the 5X does NOT. I don't store a lot on my phone so with 32GB onboard for both devices, this feature isn't important to me.

My conclusion: I think I'm keeping the 5X.

The Pure has the edge in terms of exquisite build quality, higher screen resolution, nicer speaker quality, and the addition of the Moto apps, but lugging that behemoth around greatly detracts from my experience. I need a phone that I can use on the go and use one-handed--I have a tablet at home for anything that requires a bigger screen.

Your perceptions of the two devices may differ depending on what you feel is most important. To me, I need a device that provides the information that I need in the palm of my hand, that I can reach for and take with me easily, and that isn't ruined by bloatware (almost every other phone out there). The Pure is a gorgeous and wonderful device and I highly recommend it for those who can manage its size. For me, though, if it were a 5.2" screen and closer to the form factor of the X2, it would be my dream device. But because it is too big and unwieldy for me, I often risk dropping it while trying to use it one-handed and I have noticed that I've also left it on tables, countertops, dashboards, etc and had to run back to retrieve it because it isn't handy and pocketable for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Battery: I haven't pushed it, but the battery screen projections after an hour of steady use indicate another 5 hours of battery left. That equates to about 5 hours of SoT (corroborated by other comments on the web), I'd say--which is pretty darn awesome . I'd expect the Pure to get about the same on Android 6.0 if you balance the slightly bigger batter against the slightly bigger screen.
Thanks for this comprehensive review. As a former Moto X owner who was strongly considering the Pure, this makes me feel better about my Nexus 5x purchase (though it hasn't actually arrived yet...).

This battery part is also reassuring. I've read some reviews slamming the 5x's battery life as horrid, but if it can get 5 hours of screen-on time, that's good enough for me. My last Nexus phone was the Galaxy Nexus, which barely got 2 hours of screen-on time! 5, or even 4, is plenty for me.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this comprehensive review. As a former Moto X owner who was strongly considering the Pure, this makes me feel better about my Nexus 5x purchase (though it hasn't actually arrived yet...).

This battery part is also reassuring. I've read some reviews slamming the 5x's battery life as horrid, but if it can get 5 hours of screen-on time, that's good enough for me. My last Nexus phone was the Galaxy Nexus, which barely got 2 hours of screen-on time! 5, or even 4, is plenty for me.

I've never used that much SoT myself, but it is definitely good to know that the device should be capable of it. I've seen a couple of posts online from users who say they got 5 hours so the projections in my battery screen seemed in line with real world usage.

I wish that the Pure worked for me as I've had the X1 and X2 before it, but I think the 5X will suit me just fine and I'll figure out ways to get some of the Moto app capabilities back (Tasker and AutoVoice, here I come!) :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones