• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 6.0.1 email account separation

Can Android ever be as intyuitive as BB10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

doooford

Evening all, I'm new to Android. I've been forced away from Blackberry after years of loving physical keyboards and as I'm sure we'll all agree, the most intuitive devices imaginable.
Now I'm holding this Android device and it just seems so limiting. What I loved in my Blackberry was having separate sections for each email account. Now I want that on this phone, I've added a shortcut to each accounts inbox on the main screen. The problem is that they both have 13 notifications, this is not right and I think it has combined both accounts as one account only has 2 emails in. Is there another way to sort this?
Basically I need to be able to see if I have work emails but am not that bothered about personal ones.
Thanks in advance, and hopefully Android will take some tips from BB10 :)

Day 3 on the Android let down express. This morning found that the alarm doesn't work if the phone is off.
Another thing BB nailed is that the phone essentially went in to hibernate so used barely any power and then switched on in the morning with the alarm.
I've seen some people put it in sleep mode, but then you have to take it out of that when you get up. Anyway, I used to like the fact your BB would switch on and be ready to go.

Upvote 0
This a joke isn't it? Is Android really this geared towards old people that it is deemed unnecessay to have more that one email account?
Thankfully I haven't activated my new SIM so I should be able to change the phone back to a Blackberry Passport, I mean I don't want a perfectly square phone as much as the next bloke, but I do want easy access to multiple email accounts (and also the comfort of knowing that Google isn't installing LifeLog every ten minutes).
Please help!!!

Upvote 0
It's a good suggestion, but I have 3 accounts I need to monitor essentially for different companies. I also don't like the idea of 3rd party apps for such fundamental part of my communications.
I know I'm going to have to turn back to blackberry if I want that, thanks for your response though. Hopefully I'll be able to do a straight swap for a passport and I forget the last 72 hours :)

Upvote 0
duwwkyewj
Look at that, managed to squeeze some life out of the Q10. How can anyone suggest one swipe from the right and that overview comes up is not useful?
duwwkyewj
BB_wish_you_had_it.jpg

Upvote 0
You could have easily used family and set up several email accounts and since you weren't c9ncerned about your personal emails, just turned notifications off for that account.

Last time I checked Black Berry was just running a forked version of Android so don't blame your issues on the OS.
The limitations you seem to be concerned about could be easily taken care of by the device manufacture.

Upvote 0
Hi MLSS, thanks for your time.
I kind of understand what you're saying. I'm here for advice really, I am completely new to android but have a technical background. I'm struggling to be able to work out how to set this up, if it can be then I may stick with it but really the one thing that I can't work out is why the email 'unread' counters on both email shortcuts both have the same number on. If they just told me how many email I had, or which account had a new one in that would be great.

For background the 'feature' that I want is to be able to glance at my phone during work hours to see if I have work emails. During this time I would ignore personal ones, but may look occasionally to check them. So I don't really want to permanently hide all emails in either account.

So, my question is, can I get a notification on the homescreen that tells me which email account has new emails in without installing 3rd party apps.

Regarding the BB android thing, they let themselves down there. The BB10 was by far the most functional and secure phone OS I've ever seen. For proper fans there is still the PassPort though...

Upvote 0
That's what I've done, but each shortcut just shows an odd number and they all match. So apparently I have 3 new emails in each account, when in fact I have 3 in one account and none in the other.
Surely that is a bug? I mean, either don't show the unread number or show the correct one? But not one that just confuses things?

Upvote 0
That's what I've done, but each shortcut just shows an odd number and they all match. So apparently I have 3 new emails in each account, when in fact I have 3 in one account and none in the other.
Surely that is a bug? I mean, either don't show the unread number or show the correct one? But not one that just confuses things?
3rd party would be the way to go Their I think and you don't want to do that.
If you did I would suggest downloading Nova launcher which is a 3rd party launcher and install Tesla unread then you could configure which email accounts you want unread counts on.

I know that's not what you want to do but I thought I'd through it out there anyways.

One of the great things about Android is all the 3rd party alternatives. I can gaurentee you that the folks on this forum will steer you towards good quality 3rd party apps.

Reactions: badcatz
Upvote 0
Sony XPERIA X Compact.
Is this a fault with my Android flavour then?

It may well be that, unlike my HTC, the device just doesn't have the ability to do it, even though it appears to recognise the individual inboxes. Hopefully someone familiar with the Xperia Compact will jump in and help, otherwise your only option may be to follow the 3rd party app route.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought I'd struck gold when I stumbled across the Blackberry hub for android. Turns out even this doesn't display unread notification on the home screen, in fact it's even less clear than teh default app.
I'm going to try and get this returned now and go for the passport. I appreciate everyones help, but really I just want something that works out of the box really. If I need 2 separate 3rd party apps just for a good overview of email then I can't really see the merits in Android.
I must aso say, I'm a 39 year old bloke, and the thing I like about Blackberry is that you don't spend your life looking at it because it just tells you what you need to know with a glance.
With this Android thing I'm being asked if I want to install 'Tanks for Grown ups' and all sorts of ridiculous adverts.
I think Android is great for these young kids who love being stuck to a phone and playing on Facebook and App stores, but I don't think I ever went into the BB App store and that's what I want.
Anyway, enjoy your Androids!

I hope I don't return in two days with a red face as I can't return this monstrosity. Shame though as the hardware seems really impressive :)

Upvote 0
It's a good suggestion, but I have 3 accounts I need to monitor essentially for different companies. I also don't like the idea of 3rd party apps for such fundamental part of my communications.
Third party email apps almost always provide more extensive features, better privacy, and countless more options to tailor their interfaces to suit your preferences. The default apps Android included with each phone are fine for basic usage but that's about it, once you need more they just aren't crafted for that. Don't write-off apps from independent developers, their motivations generally contrast with the corporate ideology that often make default apps so limiting.

As for your disdain with Android phones, it's a shame you're having so many issues but at the same time, until you actually accept you're changing over to different platform you will just get more and more aggravated. One of Android's strengths is the user can customize the interface to suit his/her usage habits. Take some time to delve into the Settings menus in your phone, and there are countless numbers of third-party apps and utilities in the Google Play store to alter the interface even more than what Android itself provides.

Upvote 0
Thanks Svim, I know I'm moaning a lot, and I am slowly accepting that I need to embrace this platform.
The thing I'm most surprised at is the weakness of the default applications. I will try to find something, but in 4 years I didn't need to enter the Blackberry App store once as it just did what I wanted out of the box. I get that it can be an advantage to be able to highly cutomise the experience, but I'm sure you'll appreciate, if all I want to do is have 3 email account unread notifiers on the home screen, you would hope it wouldn't involve needing to be handheld through it on forums. I'm an engineer, so by no means a dumb and dumber character, but it really feels like the out of the box experience is for someone with very little experience with phones and/email.
Also, it does feel the more I explore these apps, the more access to personal data is being given away. Again, I know coming from Blackberry this is going to be different.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones