• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I have a rooted RAZR MAXX and I'm having some trouble getting the 6.12.181.xt912 update to work. After the update is downloaded and the phone restarts, the loading bar appears and reaches about 1/3 of the way and stops. The installer package changes to a triangle with an exclamation mark in it and after it boots up an update failed message appears. I have Voodoo OTA root keeper and have made a su backup. What can I do to get this update and stay rooted or should I try to install it after I unroot?

Upvote 0
I've had this happen to me. Are the apps whose icons look like this installed on the SD card rather than the phone internal memory?

Another poster informed me, and I should have remembered this, those apps were on my SD card. I moved them to my phone and they are normal again after a reboot. Silly how that would make a difference.

Upvote 0
I have a rooted RAZR MAXX and I'm having some trouble getting the 6.12.181.xt912 update to work. After the update is downloaded and the phone restarts, the loading bar appears and reaches about 1/3 of the way and stops. The installer package changes to a triangle with an exclamation mark in it and after it boots up an update failed message appears. I have Voodoo OTA root keeper and have made a su backup. What can I do to get this update and stay rooted or should I try to install it after I unroot?

Mine did exactly the same thing. From another forum I found this earlier today:

"Once I followed the above instructions, I was able to update my phone with no problems. I used Droid Razr Utility 1.40, created by mattlgroff, to put me back to 6.12.173. I also used it to reinstall Voodoo's OTA Rootkeeper App - but it did not work to restore my root. That being said, option 2, Droid Root for 2.3.6 (motofail) worked just like a charm."​

I haven't had a chance to do it on my own Maxx yet, but based on what I've read about updating and the Batman toolbox, this sounds like it should be correct. If anyone else here has already done this and can confirm (or correct, if necessary), that would be great.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem as you. Used rootkeeper, titanium backup, unfroze everything and even did a back to factory reset, still fails 1/3 of the way thru the install. My maxx was running perfectly on 173, so I'm not unhappy just pissed as titanium would not reinstall my saved stuff. In any case I'm sticking with what works and has been working well for me. I've froze my "updater/upgrader" apps to keep from being annoyed with notifications. Gonna hang with this. On the plus side I've done some major house cleaning of my system which I needed to do anyway. Phone seems snappier over all just getting the gunk cleaned out.;)

Upvote 0
Same boat :(

Upvote 0

If you are rooted, why bother with this update? Why not just install the 4.0.3 build of ICS? You can still keep root and its way better than still running GB.

Upvote 0

It will fail if you have custom recovery.

Upvote 0
I just found this on the Motorola site:

Fixes from the 6.12.181.XXX Update...

Battery Life

• Optimized device performance to extend battery life
MotoCast™

• Added new MotoCast widget to enable easier access to MotoCast files
  • Implemented several fixes to improve MotoCast performance
Storage

• Modified the storage settings screen to clarify total, available, and used storage space
WiFi and Network

• Implemented IPV6 support over cellular connection and WiFi to facilitate updated interaction with the network
  • Corrected 4G coverage indicator to accurately display data connectivity
  • Improved Wi-Fi hotspot connectivity when utilizing WPS security
Visual voicemail

• Improved visual voicemail performance with data disabled and visual voicemail notification delivery
Bluetooth

Upvote 0
Don't know about anybody else, but since I installed this update, my battery life just got exponentially better. When I look at the battery usage graph, it is virtually a straight line across, and it corresponds to the update. Over 9 hours after the update, I'm still at 72%. Woohoo! :D:D

Same here, much better battery life. I wouldn't say exponentially better, but i get a few more hours out of a charge.

Reactions: menmyjeep
Upvote 0
Same here, much better battery life. I wouldn't say exponentially better, but i get a few more hours out of a charge.

Compared to the average to poor life I was getting, this is very noticeable. I purposely did not charge over night and when I checked this morning about 8 am, I still had 43%.

I also downloaded a nice battery app called Easy Battery Saver and the combination with that may be the difference as well. :driver:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones