6 Important desire/android questions

Last Updated:

1. koldtoft

koldtoft Active Member This Topic's Starter

1. What is this "brute" google maps I installed, and why will navigation only work on that version of the map.

2. Did google make the navigation that I am using with the "brute" map or is a homemade
    application?

3. I have no voice directions on my navigation. Just a slight "ring" sound whenever I am in the middle of changing to another road. (Way to late, if you are not already making the turn). Can I add proper voice commands, and can I download them with funny voices? (Homer Simpsons and so on) and if yes, how?

4. I have no graphic helper icons on my google map navigation, like I do on my Garmin and
    my Navigator. Like when I am on the freeway, it will show an icon with 4 lanes (if there are 4 lanes) and an arrow in the far left lane, if that's the lane I need to take. This is very helpful, and I don’t see it on the google navigation app.

5. Are there any plans (or any work in progress) for voice to text thing in foreign languages? Is it google making this application? (I need it for Danish, My friends mock me for sending english messagers only)

6. Is it possible to run the Nexus One version of Android 2.1 perfectly on a Desire, or is it “build” for the Sense UI HTC version of Android only? I ask because I think the Nexus One version is slightly superior, and a step ahead when it comes to early updates and working applications.

Advertisement
  2. tbl

tbl Well-Known Member

1. BRUT is just a hack so that navigation works in countries where official navigation support hasn't been released. the standard application has mechanisms in place to block navigation for certain GPS co-ordinates at Google's discretion

2. Yes and no, it IS the Google application, just hacked by someone

3. The maps app should have given you the option to download them from the Market, see below about voices

4. Lane assist is an added feature of many new high end satnav systems. Google Maps is not such a device, hence why you cannot have many added features (yet) like IQ routes, voices, speed cameras, custom POIs etc. Remember this is FREE

5. No idea I'm afraid. Google is mainly US focussed, so will rely on local translators for non-widespread languages like Danish

6. Check the XDA Developers website. I don't think the Nexus One version is 'superior' but I agree that it will receive updates quicker than HTC's Sense modified variants

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Google have now release nav in the UK so you dont need the Brut app ;)

4. koldtoft

koldtoft Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks a bunch for all the awnsers tbl.