• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 67 kbs download speed is that the norm?

On my stock Optimus S, I get ~300kbps with a weak 3G signal, and ~1.5Mbps with a strong 3G signal. With a 1G signal I get a really slow connection-- probably on the order of 50k-100kbps.

I use DSL Reports for speed tests. iPhone speedtest

Are you getting a strong 3G signal? (i.e. Does the status bar at the top provide the 3G icon and are you getting 4-5 bars?) Is there a triangle at in the top status bar indicating roaming?

One interesting debugging task that you could perform would be to connect to a fast Internet connection via WiFi, and run the the DSL Reports speedtest over WiFi, instead of running it over 3G. If you get a fast WiFi download speed then it would indicate that the problem is on the 3G side (either with Sprint's 3G service to the nearby cell tower or the phone's ability to receive & process data). In that case you may want to try a 3G-based speed test from a different cell tower with a strong signal. If you don't get a fast WiFi download speed then it would indicate a more general problem with the phone, like the memory or CPU.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones