• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

7 Ways the Android Market Can Improve

8-Bit-Soldier

Android Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2009
Atlanta
I have been thinking on how the Android market can improve and I've come up with some ideas that would really make Android even more awesome.

Be Warned, Wall of Text.

1. Improved Interface- When I look thorugh apps, the interface is rather clunky and has no numbers of what the app is. (selling wise) For Example:

1. Robo Defense

2. Armored Strike Online

3. Jewellust

etc..

It would help me remember the spot of an app and I'm sure it would help other people as well.

Another thing with the interface is that we need improved marketing of apps and games. (Games in particular) The ads we have on the front page of the market only show 3 apps in a specific category and only change when you click on something and come back to that page. This is not good.

We need something more Community involved, like how Apple does. I'm not saying Apple is any way perfect, I'm just saying that they put A LOT of focus on their App Store and have gotten billions (?) from their App Store and App marketing.
------------------------------------

2. Alternative Payments- This one is a MUST. Gift cards too. Developers do not like Google Checkout and that is probably why we do not have a lot of Apple's games. Another thing is that people prefer gift cards. Some people don't have credit cards and use those as an alternative. Another is that they make great gifts. (Hence gift card lol)

3. Promo Codes- Another thing that is much needed, this could help with beta-testing and make great prizes/trials.

4. A PC/Mac Software that's similar to iTunes- Another crucial thing Android is missing. People love that state of mind knowing you have everything backed up on their PC/Mac. We like simplicity too, the look and feel of iTunes, it's laid out nice and neat and simple to navigate through.
-------------------------------------

5. A Video Store-
Our top competitor has the upper hand on us with this one, there is no way for us to buy Episodes of TV shows, Movies, etc.. Hopefully we get this one soon.

6. Gift Apps- Just as the title says, Gift Apps to family, friends, or anybody you know. Nice feature.

7. Video Previews of the product you're looking at- Have video previews of the product you're looking at on the page instead of screenshots. I know a lot of people would love Dev demo videos more than screen shots.

8. Android Market and Paid Apps for All Countries-
Not every country has the Market, so make to where everybody can have some Android goodness.

So there you have it. I've been thinking about those ideas for a while and hopefully they come true. :D Thanks for reading!

-8-Bit-Soldier

4. A PC/Mac Software that's similar to iTunes- Another crucial thing Android is missing. People love that state of mind knowing you have everything backed up on their PC/Mac. We like simplicity too, the look and feel of iTunes, it's laid out nice and neat and simple to navigate through.

I never thought itunes was nice or neat. It always seemed like a more painful process. I would would rather click and drag any day.

And to add to your list

-Google checkout needs the ability to buy multiple apps. I should only receive 1 charge for lets say 10 bucks. Google checkout should then split that money to the sellers. It's very annoying seeing my bank statement.

70 gas
.99 google
50 electricity
1.99 google
90 cell phone
1.99 google.

I mean come on... seriously

(if this is already out there someone please enlighten me)

Upvote 0
#1 is to make paid apps available for every country and to open up the market to developers from other countries. This would help a lot.

Alternative payments - certainly - but it is worth keeping in mind that one of the things that developers don't like about Google Checkout is the 24-hour return. Will alternative payment schemes maintain that?

Lastly, developers need a way to explain why thry have certain permissions, reviewers freak out over permissions sometimes and developers can't explain themselves.

Not only should this be possible, it should absolutely be required.

More interactive comments system would be nice. E.g., users could check their comment as a bug report (indicating they would like a response), which would then allow the developer to send an e-mail to the user. It's frustrating to see comments from users with problems and being unable to do anything about it.

Change Logs. Press on a field and get up the change log for the app. 325 characters is impossibly limiting when you both have to describe the app and try to explain what has changed since the last update.

Upvote 0
I never thought itunes was nice or neat. It always seemed like a more painful process. I would would rather click and drag any day.

And to add to your list

-Google checkout needs the ability to buy multiple apps. I should only receive 1 charge for lets say 10 bucks. Google checkout should then split that money to the sellers. It's very annoying seeing my bank statement.

70 gas
.99 google
50 electricity
1.99 google
90 cell phone
1.99 google.

I mean come on... seriously

(if this is already out there someone please enlighten me)

That made me laugh. My wife HATES when i use google checkout (which is wayyy too often). She's like "what on earth did you buy 3 time for 3.78" LOL

Upvote 0
A few thoughts:
  • The ability to sort the market by a ranking that takes into effect # of stars and the number of reviews, so an app that's received a 4 star ranking 30 times gets a higher status that one which has received a 4 star ranking twice.
  • Some kind of recommended voter system, that has rankings from editors of Android blogs, tech magazines, etc. so you know which apps the "experts" find valuable.
  • More screen shots, at least 3 required.
  • A "More like this app" function, so if you do find an app that does what you want, but don't like the way it does it, you can find others.
  • Keyword tags
  • The ability to filter out developers
Just basically more options to help separate the wheat from the chaff on your particular search.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones