70 app limit on Hero (Sprint)?

Last Updated:

1. veggiess

veggiess Member This Topic's Starter

At least on my HTC Hero, 70 apps is the limit. No, I did not run out of internal or SD memory-far from it. But I have been going off trial and error, installing and uninstalling apps. If I go over 70 apps, once I shut off/turn on my phone, it will be completely corrupt, won't give me service, etc. The first time this occurred, I had no idea what was wrong and hard rebooted my phone. Now, if I stay at 70 apps or below, I'm fine. HTC should really tell you this and it is ridiculous considering I have plenty of memory left.

Advertisement
  2. ftothe3

ftothe3 Well-Known Member

im not saying there should be a limit... but damn thats a lot of apps!

3. PGR

PGR Well-Known Member

No offense to the OP intended, but I hope someone puts me out of my misery if I ever reach a point where I need 70 apps on a phone.

Pete

4. veggiess

That's helpful, thanks. I don't think you realize how few 70 really is. My friend has over 150 apps on his iPhone. Count your's, I bet you have quite a few and you will discover there are many other useful ones. I won't necessarily keep all those, but it would be nice to be able to download quite a few and try them before worrying about quickly deleting them. If the phone has the memory, no reason for not being able to have the apps.

5. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

are you sure your experiencing the problem due to the amount of apps?
    I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on computers: but from my limited knollege I don't see why this would happen

6. crow11ad

crow11ad Well-Known Member

Now the question is this. Can you run all 70 apps at once and the phone is still functional? lol:D

7. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

With 70 apps one of them is bound to be Task Killer xD

anyway, no matter how useful the apps are, it becomes impractical when you have to scroll down a huge list of them

8. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member

Is that 70 apps downloaded from the market or 70 apps altogether with the pre-installed apps?

9. veggiess

70 apps from the Android market. Still have tons of memory left.

10. veggiess

I agree, it doesn't make sense. But I've tested this with the number over and again and the problems always start when I hit 70 apps. It lets me install lots more, I've been up to close to 100, but once I reboot my phone it has issues until I get back down to 70.

11. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

not exactly sure how the os works,
    but maybe the registry is only big enough to keep track of 70
    after that it goes all buggy.

once again, I don't really know what I'm talking about so what I say is a random guess

12. ajones7279

ajones7279 Member

Hmm, I've had over 70 apps on without that problem.

13. rsbenedict

rsbenedict Well-Known Member

There's no registry with linux-based operating systems. That's a windows nightmare and no one wants to add that "feature" to their OS. LOL

14. Mrniceguy

Mrniceguy Well-Known Member

can anyone else confirm this... I will be pissed if i can only have 70 apps

15. kronium

kronium Well-Known Member

Confirmed. But, thank you thank you thank you for finally pin pointing the problem. I've had this issue forever, and always thought it was a random thing. I'll point HTC to this thread. At least now I know the boundary of the problem. And no, 70 apps is not a lot.

16. ajones7279

ajones7279 Member

Only time I've ever had this problem is when I installed a bunch of apps from the market at once. Rebooted and got all kinds of force closes and no service. Uninstalled the apps, rebooted and it was fine. And this was way before I got to 70. At one point I counted and had 74 and my phone was working fine.

17. veggiess

I have tried this too, downloading one at a time and it still does it. Try 76 or more by downloading one at a time, rebooting, etc, and see if it does it. I need to know if my phone is defective.

18. kronium

kronium Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think he should count and do some reboots. I didn't think I had seventy market apps, but sure enough, it was right around there. Trust me, you don't have a physically defective phone. This is my third Hero, same issue.

19. ajones7279

ajones7279 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still service, no force closes.

20. ajones7279

ajones7279 Member

Still having problems after 70?

21. veggiess

Thanks for posting that. Did you reboot? I should have been more specific though. The 70 app deal is downloaded ones, not ones native on the phone. Are those 77 ones all downloaded? That is how it works on my phone. No clue how many I have including the native ones, probably lots more.

22. ajones7279

ajones7279 Member

Those are all downloaded. And I rebooted about 3 times.

23. oggg

oggg Member

just to add evidence to this thread, I had the exact same problem twice.

The first time, I did a hard reset (after two weeks of use). The second time, when I was about to smash this damn phone against the wall, I found this thread and deleted a couple apps I was not using until I had less than 70. I rebooted the phone and BINGO! it is working again. I think I had around 75 apps when it started to give me problems.

I rarely reboot my phone, but when I did it, it was gone. It would force close almost everything. After I uninstall a couple of my apps it is back in business.

I don't know if the problem is Android or Sense, but this limitation is annoying. I don't think that 70 apps is a lot. Also, the 150mb of internal memory is a joke. If I have 16gb of memory in my SD why can't I save my apps and emails to it?? I know, there is a lot of technical explanations behind it...but that is lame anyway.

I was so happy with Android but now that I have used it for a while I am finding lots of limitations. That is sad... hope Android 2.0 is better....

24. ajones7279

ajones7279 Member

Like I said before, only time I ever had that problem is when I tried installing a bunch of apps at once from the Market. Never happens when I use AppManager though. But I have more than 70 and I'm not having a problem.

25. veggiess

Sounds like you are a lucky one. I don't seem to be the only one with this issue. Very strange...